split grip vs full grip rods

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

split grip vs full grip rods

Post by Mattblack » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:14 pm

Trying to find a full grip rod to suit a Shimano Sustain 2500 (yep, got sucked in at Southern Sportsfishing's sale) I'll probably use it for whiting/flatties/etc from the boat....anyone have any ideas?
(Not keen on short butt/split grips as they don't sit in the rod holders very well)

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: split grip vs full grip rods

Post by purple5ive » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:09 pm

Most rods these days are split butts. the only ones ive seen that are full length butts are the heavier versions, but those then become overkill for what you want. unless you go for glass rods.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:27 pm

I have some split grips but I'm not a fan of them, sure they cut down on weight slightly but apart from this it's a useless feature that I see IMO..
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:05 pm

Split grip Rods are purely for cosmetics unless you are doing so much casting you believe the slight weight reduction will help.

If the rods just for whiting/flathead just go to a tackleshop and see what suits.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:20 pm

TBH, with how light reels are these days, I find I would usually prefer a little more weight in the butt, to balance out the combo a little. I always find it hard yo find good light rods for whiting fishing, as most are designed to be help, and have a really short butt that wont sit in the snapper racks. Egi rods seem to be a good all rounder for me, as they typically have a longer butt, so sit in the racks ok, but are still light enough for whiting, and usually have a bit of backbone when you get bycatch (small gummies, snapper, etc)

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:05 pm

Mattblack wrote:Trying to find a full grip rod to suit a Shimano Sustain 2500 (yep, got sucked in at Southern Sportsfishing's sale) I'll probably use it for whiting/flatties/etc from the boat....anyone have any ideas?
(Not keen on short butt/split grips as they don't sit in the rod holders very well)
easy go back to see wayne and have a look at the 2 models of southern sportfishing whiting rods both models have quiver tips nice rods

Mattblack

Post by Mattblack » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:47 am

dazz999 wrote:
Mattblack wrote:Trying to find a full grip rod to suit a Shimano Sustain 2500 (yep, got sucked in at Southern Sportsfishing's sale) I'll probably use it for whiting/flatties/etc from the boat....anyone have any ideas?
easy go back to see wayne and have a look at the 2 models of southern sportfishing whiting rods both models have quiver tips nice rods
I reckon I get totally unbiased and better advice from the guys on this website to be honest (eg. Southern Sportsfishing doesn't stock Diawa)

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:51 am

How much do you want to spend Matt?

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:59 am

I'm a big fan of the Shimano terez waxwing black 10-20pp as a whiting rod and able to cast squid jigs or salmon slugs. Full cork grips. Good all rounder for the boat. I've got 3 of em.

Mattblack

Post by Mattblack » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:26 am

rb85 wrote:How much do you want to spend Matt?
$150-ish....although that Terez Waxwing looks nice! The idea of an Egi rod sounds smart as well....shame the Storm Gomoku's have split grips

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”