Daiwa mag seal

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Daiwa mag seal

Post by purple5ive » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:39 pm

ok great, and how is it holding up?? i might invest in some just to see what its like. i have a magseal caldia that i can practice on.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:42 pm

frozenpod wrote:
cobby wrote:
frozenpod wrote:
cobby wrote:
frozenpod wrote:Magseal is a great idea not sure why there is so much negativity around it.
Because those of us who self service can't (couldn't) get the oil to replace it when it inevitably 'fell' into the reel itself.

I've got Daiwas, Sols, Luvias, Certates. All of them pre mag seal. I haven't and won't buy a mag sealed reel
I service all my own reels but even if I couldn't get the oil you can use regular grease and oil and just loose the magseal feature. It becomes like every other reel.
And you end up losing something you actually paid for which defeats the purpose of buying that specific reel. R&d money that could be better spent on the actual alloy mixes used for better corrosive resistance, or or how to have a tool that actually removes casting imperfections on bail arm ends that ultimately corrode no matter how well looked after and a design team that drops the wank factor out of (most) of their designs.
Perhaps try one before being so negative about it.

The way I see it salt water protection for reels either involves seals which add resistance or grease which adds resistance and needs to be regularly flushed and replaced.

Magseal provides the reduced resistance of oil whilst providing the seal.

Mine is probably 4 years old now (purchased when you couldn't buy the oil) and still works perfectly with minimal servicing (clean and drop of magseal oil).

I would have purchased the reel regardless of magseal and the price was slightly more than the previous model of the same reel without magseal.
Outside of a morethan, battler, New Saltiga bj or emeraldas air I don't like the designs of the reels at all. I still don't particularly like my gen 1 Sol, but I picked it up bnib for 180 when they were going for 300 so there was no chance I'd pass that up and it serves it's purpose.

No doubt they're good reels as they've continued with magseal since the 2010 Certate, low ratios and softer and tight gears helps enormously from a feel perspective. I might eventually own 1 on a squid outfit unless Shimano offer 2500 size shallow spools at some point that's not on a reel or by itself that costs a bomb. I stand by that magseal isn't necessary at all given how little the resistance other sealing methods offer, the level of protection offered isn't as great as marketing dreamed up and the oil is prone to losing it's magnetic properties and dispersing throughout the reels guts.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:44 pm

Out of interest what happens of the magnetic oil gets in reel body and all over the gears?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:59 pm

no idea, im sure there a few out there thats running magseal fluid mixed with grease in the guts...

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:04 pm

purple5ive wrote:ok great, and how is it holding up?? i might invest in some just to see what its like. i have a magseal caldia that i can practice on.
Reel still work as new.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:08 pm

4liters wrote:Out of interest what happens of the magnetic oil gets in reel body and all over the gears?
Nothing as far as I can tell.

The oil is oil with a small amount of suspended iron oxide particles.

AE092
Has liked: 5 times

Post by AE092 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:54 pm

purple5ive wrote:
AE092 wrote:3 mag sealed reels for; 2 Luvias and 1 Exist and no problems. I service and clean sporadically and no issues (yet). One of the Luvias is three years old
have you replaced the magseal fuid at any stage yet??
Nope.

Touch wood it's still going strong, probably not at smooth compared to the first month of use but still excellent. The Exist is another world of smooth.

dazz999

Post by dazz999 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:02 pm

instead of opening up another thread the daiwa surf basia vs shimano ultegra ci4+ 5500 xtb just cant pick about $100 bucks difference both reel specs are awesome your thoughts ?

dazz999

Post by dazz999 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:02 pm

instead of opening up another thread the daiwa surf basia vs shimano ultegra ci4+ 5500 xtb just cant pick about $100 bucks difference both reel specs are awesome your thoughts ?

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”