Shimano Stella

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: Shimano Stella

Post by mazman » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:15 pm

There seems to be quite a hang up on people using expensive gear for squid.
This gear is far from necessary as has been established multiple time in this thread and others. However, if you are going to be using the gear frequently the little bit extra you get from these reels is worth the money to some. It is worth remembering that not all of us are on a level playing field when it comes to income and wealth and what may seem like a lot of money for some isn't for others.
As for the they're just squid argument, using a luvias (or any other mid-high end reel) for snapper or bream, nothing against that personally, can be viewed in a very similar light, far from necessary but it is enjoyable to use and at the end of the day isn't that what you fish for?
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:54 pm

Alex wheres the little bit extra coming from mate??
last time i checked luvias/emeraldas was available from $300- $400 (pending model) and stella / exist is double that price or more.
if it was just a little bit more expensive, then there would be a lot more guys using the expensive gear for sure.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:06 pm

purple5ive wrote:Alex wheres the little bit extra coming from mate??
last time i checked luvias/emeraldas was available from $300- $400 (pending model) and stella / exist is double that price or more.
if it was just a little bit more expensive, then there would be a lot more guys using the expensive gear for sure.
Re read it steve, never said the increase in price was little but that the little bit extra is in the reel itself.

Although to some I'm sure 3-400 is nothing special.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:35 pm

Alex makes a good point. We all fish for enjoyment, nice gear = increased enjoyment.
Last edited by Broomstick on Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:45 pm

Mazman hit the nail on the head with "far from necessary but it is enjoyable to use and at the end of the day isn't that what you fish for?"

I don't know why some of you blokes get so worked up when it comes to high end gear. Are you the same guys calling the guy in the high end euro car a wanker because a holden gemini will get you to the same destination..?

If someone wants a certain thing doesn't matter whether it be cheap or expensive it is completely up to them and that goes for whatever they want to use it for.

Anth

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:52 pm

Broomstick wrote:Alex makes a good point. We al fish for enjoyment, nice gear = increased enjoyment.
Voodoo, was Stella blessed with nice knobs for better handling and enjoyment?

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:57 pm

2017 AFTA Award winner for best reel was the Shimano Sustain 2500 HGFI if that means anything.

http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/201 ... rd-winners

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:36 pm

purple5ive wrote:
rb85 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:rb85, out of curiosity mate, what sort of gear do you own.
you seem to be of the opinion that the expensive gear is a waste of money. so what in your opinion is value for money for bread and butter species.
I own a range of gear from Stradics, Salinas, Azores, Daiwa Revros, Bait runners, Charter specials. These can be used for fishing for Snapper, Gummies etc and even for casting lures or trolling small skirts for Pelagic Species. These would be mid range product which will last a lot longer than entry level gear for the amount of fishing I do but also don't break the budget.

Expensive gear is not a waste of money for the right application Purple. If I take up Game fishing and am going to do it regularly I won't purchase TLD's will be Tiagras or Makaira's.

The construction and Drag system of a reel like a Stella is created for game like performance in a spin reel and anyone who targets calamari knows you don't need a reel to perform at the level a Stella was built for.
i cant speak for the others, but the daiwa revros is a crap entry level reel and to me im wasting my money on those sort of reels, id buy a caldia/gen black/freams as a budget reel.. it will still do everything you want it to do.

as for the stella on calamari, daiwa market the emraldas as a egi reel, it has 8kg of drag (for squid, wtf for??) and the emeraldas collosal, and few other models have hyper digigear (almost the very best of gearing) and are very highly sought after.
why bother with those reels when all your trying to catch is squid or bread and butter, well the feel you get when using a high end is obviously the reason, not the extra drag, or made for bigger species, but just the pure factor of FEEL. they certainly do feel a lot nicer to use than a reel that will do the same job for 1/4 of the price.
i certainly will never do it, as i cant justify the cost, but if others can afford to do then it then so be it.

and ps im going with cheap game setups, i certainly will never ever buy a dogfight mainly due to me not fishing game enough, but what i have got should still handle the fish that i plan to use it on. so just because its cheap doesnt mean it cant do the heavy stuff either.
i have the BG6500 and BG4000 and they come with carbon drag as std, plus some higher gear ratios than normal, time will tell how reliable they are...
The revros isn't great purchased it to give a go has caught plenty of fish but it's not something I would purchase again.

FEEL factor is nice with more expensive reels but not a necessity or a requirement for that matter. If using it for casting jigs a better rod would be of more importance than how a reel feels.

I agree with you with the game gear the more budget friendly equipment will hold its own for catching barrel fish they won't last as long so if you were doing it for a long time the Tiagras etc would be worth considering for durability.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:42 pm

yepi'mon wrote:
rb85 wrote:
Funny that but many fisherman share my view on people purchasing Stellas or other high end tackle when more budget friendly alternatives would be suitable. Don't know what draws you to the conclusion my view is skewed.

Circumstance and personal enjoyment have absolutely nothing to do with whether a reel is going to be used to suit it's potential or a cheaper alternative will be sufficient.

If Matt Black said he wanted a spin reel to cast lures at surface feeding pelagics for example Barrel Bluefin Tuna then a Stella would be a good recommendation. Never did I suggest I was enlightened I posted my honest opinion pure and simple after Cador asked me a question following from my sledgehammer inch nail remark. Seems that a few people didn't like the answer big deal it's not the first time doubt it will be the last.

FYI I own a range of reels and rods some cheaper others more expensive and all from various manufacturers I'm not brand loyal cost, application and the amount of use it will get are all taken into account before I buy.

I understand where you are coming from mate and have no issues with the theory or the discussion of it (any advice is good advice). What I do find annoying is your judgement on people who do decide for themselves that circumstance and personal enjoyment are part of the equation and purchase gear with it in mind. If you have the money and it provides you with an emotional benefit then why not?

The way you go about speaking your opinion's on here makes me think you are that guy at the boat ramp who loves to sit there and laugh at other blokes with comments like "all the gear and no idea" instead of lending a hand. Personally, I can't stand that bloke.
Yepi you have to remember I was asked a question and I answered it. It was a general response I was not talking about every individual persons circumstance.

The second part you couldn't be more wrong Im always happy to help others at the ramp having even delayed my own trips to help older solo anglers get their boats back on the trailer. Wouldn't normally mention that but it's not great to have to defend your character by assumptions made by people because they don't like your forthright opinions.

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:07 pm

Fish-cador wrote:
Broomstick wrote:Alex makes a good point. We al fish for enjoyment, nice gear = increased enjoyment.
Voodoo, was Stella blessed with nice knobs for better handling and enjoyment?
As previously mentioned cador, the bottom line was that VooDoo was just to damn tight to treat her the way she needed to be !
All he wanted was to have stella by his side, for pure " look what I got" syndrome !
The $1000 was a small price to pay for the experience, but it was like getting a pin up his ar@e with a sledge hammer, he missed out !
He still goes on and on about it ! just wont let it go !
......but yes cador, she was smooth with all the knobs beautifully placed :a_goodjob:

Now get the hell over it VooDoo, if you want the experience, blow those cobwebs off your wallet !

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”