Tld for swords?

Hosery

Tld for swords?

Post by Hosery » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:48 pm

Since fishing for swords has kicked off and seeing numerous come in I’ve been that keen to have a crack at them. 1 of my main issues is I’ve only got a tld 50. Now I no they aren’t designed for them. That’s what tiagra or talicas are for. But with recently building a house, having a child and a wedding/honeymoon just around the corner safe to say spare money for toys is hard to come by.

I have seen a video of the frame braking on tld fighting a sword but I think it’s due to pulling back on the frame instead of the rod. I no some yanks use them successfully. But their swords tend to be smaller than ours.

So my question is would it stand up to the task or is it going to crumble 1hour into the fight of my life.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Tld for swords?

Post by smile0784 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:08 pm

I seen tld 50s catch 100+kg marlin and 60kg tuna

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:17 pm

smile0784 wrote:I seen tld 50s catch 100+kg marlin and 60kg tuna
I no a tld can catch big marlin,tuna,shark etc. But you generally can chase them with your boat. You aren’t pulling 100+kg or several hundred kilos up out of 600 of metres of water which obviously would be a different fight. I will most likely load my tld with braid and give it a crack but would hate to hook a fish of a lifetime and my reel fall to pieces.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:50 pm

I'm not speaking from personal experience here but I remember reading that the TLD frame, being graphite, can break apart if using with a harness on big fish. If I was you I'd probably still prefer to give it a go, if you get onto a big one you'll have a good story if it explodes in your hands or not! But maybe I'm being reckless....

Paulanderson
Has liked: 50 times

Post by Paulanderson » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:52 pm

You have to consider what you are doing with your TLD 50. If you load it with 100 lb braid and crank the drag up to 50 lb or more a fight is likely to have a very bad ending as a TLD 50 is not designed for that. On the other hand if you are running 8 kg of drag - which is the sort of drag setting a TLD 50 can handle - a long fight should not hurt the reel. You also need to consider the fish and line capacity - a big sword in deep water needs appropriate gear and line - if you are using game fishing gear an 80 Tiagra or International loaded with with 37 kg line is far more suitable.

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:18 pm

skronkman wrote:I'm not speaking from personal experience here but I remember reading that the TLD frame, being graphite, can break apart if using with a harness on big fish. If I was you I'd probably still prefer to give it a go, if you get onto a big one you'll have a good story if it explodes in your hands or not! But maybe I'm being reckless....
That’s where my question comes from. A quick google search and there are enough stories of frames braking because of a graphite frame. I like your style! Just give it a crack. The way I see it is if I get out once of twice this season for them hopefully the tld stands up if I’m even lucky enough to hook 1. Than come next season I’d hopefully have a new outfit anyways.

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:30 pm

Paulanderson wrote:You have to consider what you are doing with your TLD 50. If you load it with 100 lb braid and crank the drag up to 50 lb or more a fight is likely to have a very bad ending as a TLD 50 is not designed for that. On the other hand if you are running 8 kg of drag - which is the sort of drag setting a TLD 50 can handle - a long fight should not hurt the reel. You also need to consider the fish and line capacity - a big sword in deep water needs appropriate gear and line - if you are using game fishing gear an 80 Tiagra or International loaded with with 37 kg line is far more suitable.
Yeah fair enough. I believe you don’t run to much drag for swords as they have a soft mouth and you will pull hooks. The tld will hold ample amount of line. 1200 yards of 65lb braid. Minus wind on etc which is still enough. I’ve never used or even felt a 80 size reel but would guess it would become awful heavy in a long fight stand up. Hence why a lot of people use a Talica 50 loaded with braid. That would be much nicer to fight stand up than a 80.

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:27 am

I’d do your best to get a tiagra 50, they have the same drag plate as the 80 and you can adjust the drag to suit, whereas the TLD will crumble under the same strain.

Out of Vic, you are just as likely to hook a 200kg+ fish as you are a 100kg fish, and 8kg of drag just wont cut it, those sword are stubborn and you are asking for a loooooong fight otherwise.

You should be able to pick up a second hand reel already spooled up with braid if you have a good look.

The last thing I’d wanna do is spool the TLD up with $250 worth of braid and your rig only to have it fail on a fish and loose the lot.

When you consider that you’re probably going to use $200-300 worth of fuel just to get out there, $500 for a second hand tiagra is worth it.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:00 am

No they are not up to it. If you kept the drag pressure low you might get away with it though....

If you cant afford a Tiagra you could look at either a metal aftermarket frame for your TLD 50.
Or buy a tyrnos 50, metal frame version of the TLD.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:13 am

Hosery wrote:
Paulanderson wrote:You have to consider what you are doing with your TLD 50. If you load it with 100 lb braid and crank the drag up to 50 lb or more a fight is likely to have a very bad ending as a TLD 50 is not designed for that. On the other hand if you are running 8 kg of drag - which is the sort of drag setting a TLD 50 can handle - a long fight should not hurt the reel. You also need to consider the fish and line capacity - a big sword in deep water needs appropriate gear and line - if you are using game fishing gear an 80 Tiagra or International loaded with with 37 kg line is far more suitable.
Yeah fair enough. I believe you don’t run to much drag for swords as they have a soft mouth and you will pull hooks. The tld will hold ample amount of line. 1200 yards of 65lb braid. Minus wind on etc which is still enough. I’ve never used or even felt a 80 size reel but would guess it would become awful heavy in a long fight stand up. Hence why a lot of people use a Talica 50 loaded with braid. That would be much nicer to fight stand up than a 80.
When i got my tld 50s spooled they put on 1000yrd 50lb braid then 200mt of 100kg shock mono and then 10mt of 200lb of wind on leader.
so if you were going g to all braid could get 1400rds on it.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”