Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Re: Rod recommendation- 20-60gm stickbaits

Post by Bayrock » Thu May 03, 2018 4:08 pm

I'm a fan of the Assassin rods, great action and awesome quality
if you take a look here

http://assassintackle.com.au/shop/rods/ ... heavy-7-8/
this is the one
ASLG7-XH: 2 piece with TUBE Recommended Casting Weight: 1oz – 2½oz (28g-70g) PE Rating (Braided Line): PE 1.5 – 3 (17lb – 40lb) LENGTH: 7’/2.1m

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu May 03, 2018 5:42 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:I can't say I've ever had a problem. I've spent days casting heavier than rated lures. Especially from a boat. I can see land based fishos trying to get every last mm out of their casts so really loading a rod up with a bigger than rated lure might be dangerous. I'd also say that the rating isn't a maximum before the rod breaks. Its the weight rating that the rod works the best at. If you snap rods from casting a bit heavier than rated lure i dare say its either the rod or the technique of the person casting
what sort of lures are we talking about that you have no issues casting that are heavier than rated? and how far are you casting said lure?
i have always stuck to what the rods been rated to whether that be bream, squid or pelagics
i have pushed it, but not by much.
All my lure casting combos really, from my 1lb-3lb trout outfits to my Xzoga 10kg max drag casting rod. From tiny plastics to big stickbaits. I'm not really sure on exact distance but i usually get to wear i need to be. On some of my rods i notice the rod loads up better with a heavier lure. For example my Nitro baby viper casts way above the weight its rated at for a small rod. I use it for everything from whiting to casting. It's rated at 9-40g but i've cast 60g lures no problems.

Honestly i reckon its a bit of a scam to get us to buy more tackle.. It's like they want us to believe we need a specific rod for every weight of lure.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu May 03, 2018 6:01 pm

Bayrock wrote:I'm a fan of the Assassin rods, great action and awesome quality
if you take a look here

http://assassintackle.com.au/shop/rods/ ... heavy-7-8/
this is the one
ASLG7-XH: 2 piece with TUBE Recommended Casting Weight: 1oz – 2½oz (28g-70g) PE Rating (Braided Line): PE 1.5 – 3 (17lb – 40lb) LENGTH: 7’/2.1m
Nice rod, but I dont like split buts and its triple my budget

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu May 03, 2018 7:26 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:I can't say I've ever had a problem. I've spent days casting heavier than rated lures. Especially from a boat. I can see land based fishos trying to get every last mm out of their casts so really loading a rod up with a bigger than rated lure might be dangerous. I'd also say that the rating isn't a maximum before the rod breaks. Its the weight rating that the rod works the best at. If you snap rods from casting a bit heavier than rated lure i dare say its either the rod or the technique of the person casting
what sort of lures are we talking about that you have no issues casting that are heavier than rated? and how far are you casting said lure?
i have always stuck to what the rods been rated to whether that be bream, squid or pelagics
All my lure casting combos really, from my 1lb-3lb trout outfits to my Xzoga 10kg max drag casting rod. From tiny plastics to big stickbaits. I'm not really sure on exact distance but i usually get to wear i need to be. On some of my rods i notice the rod loads up better with a heavier lure. For example my Nitro baby viper casts way above the weight its rated at for a small rod. I use it for everything from whiting to casting. It's rated at 9-40g but i've cast 60g lures no problems.

Honestly i reckon its a bit of a scam to get us to buy more tackle.. It's like they want us to believe we need a specific rod for every weight of lure.

The nitrous are an exception hahahah.
But when casting stickbaits mainly I tend not to go over the recommended limit because I dont want to have a tip wrap or anything silly like that. It's game over if that happens.
Bream and other stuff yes I have used 1/4 oz on a 2kg rod basically almost double the recommended weight.

The ploy may or may not be true but when it comes to.finess lures you do really need the lighter tips to cast those 2 and 3 gm lures a mile.

As for rods loading up better when weighted more . Yes classic example is a 20gm salmon slug on a std 2-4kg rod they will fly with the right line used.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu May 03, 2018 9:17 pm

In my opinion you’re using too big a reel for the cast weight range you’re chasing.

After realising a big hole in my tackle range for casting stickbaits, sluggos etc for kings and tuna I went out and bought 2 x majorcraft giant killing 7’4 25-80gm rods matched with Shimano biomaster 5000’s. These are beautiful outfits and I highly recommend both of them.

If you have your heart set on the 10k reel get the next rating higher in cast weight. There’s a 7’7 60-100gm giant killing rod.

Admittedly I got them on sale from Japan. But the rods were $230 or so each including postage.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu May 03, 2018 10:34 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:
purple5ive wrote:

But when casting stickbaits mainly I tend not to go over the recommended limit because I dont want to have a tip wrap or anything silly like that. It's game over if that happens.
Bream and other stuff yes I have used 1/4 oz on a 2kg rod basically almost double the recommended weight.

The ploy may or may not be true but when it comes to.finess lures you do really need the lighter tips to cast those 2 and 3 gm lures a mile.

As for rods loading up better when weighted more . Yes classic example is a 20gm salmon slug on a std 2-4kg rod they will fly with the right line used.
I lost a 7ft Daiwa Sol rod like that.. Was only a 20g metal but was wrapped up 4 guides from the tip.. after that cast i had a 5ft rod lol

I agree with you on that. You need the rods rated at 1g lures to cast 1g lures. Doesn't mean they can't cast a 10g though

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu May 03, 2018 10:36 pm

And i agree with what ducky said. A setup with a 5000 sized reel would better suit lures in that weight range.

Anth

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri May 04, 2018 8:00 am

Interesting what you guys said about the 5000 reel (the target species was Kings and school tuna)....am I looking at the wrong setup?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri May 04, 2018 9:09 am

Sinsemilla wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:
purple5ive wrote:

I lost a 7ft Daiwa Sol rod like that.. Was only a 20g metal but was wrapped up 4 guides from the tip.. after that cast i had a 5ft rod lol

I agree with you on that. You need the rods rated at 1g lures to cast 1g lures. Doesn't mean they can't cast a 10g though
you will cast a 10gm no worries, but might be more like lobbing it,maybe its just my style of casting but i certainly wouldt be belting that lure out on a finesse rod like that, besides depending on said lure working it would be a nightmare bar just slow rolling.

and yes ducky raised a valid point, 10k gossa same as my Daiwa BG6500 which is massive. i would go for the smaller model reel.
i use a BG4000 for my stickbait rod and my jigging rod in the assumption im targeting the smaller fish.
i only yesterday asked scotty gray about the outfit he was using in a video he shared of surface feeding tuna , he said they use 4500 reels and 30lb braid, didnt say what rod but i asked wether or not a PE3 rod would suffice along with a 4k reel, and he said defenitely will.
now 4k between daiwa and shimano are a bit different so pick accordingly.

dont forget stickbaits and plastics/slugs means repeated casting, so buy gear to suit the job

aka something along the lines of

rod PE 2-4, 7 foot, cast weight 50 plus gms at least as most decent stickbaits are along those weights
reel 10kg drag atleast and can hold around 300plus meters of PE3 line

for reference PE1 means 10lb roughly as a guide.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Fri May 04, 2018 3:01 pm

Mattblack wrote:Interesting what you guys said about the 5000 reel (the target species was Kings and school tuna)....am I looking at the wrong setup?
You don't need heavy tackle for school tuna and kings. For example i was live baiting not long ago for kings with a 4500 daiwa saltist and a monster mesh combi jerk. it handled them no worries. same with school tuna. I troll smaller skirts with this setup.

This doesn't mean you can't use a 10000 size reel. You will just find it easier casting a 4500 - 5000 size reel with a rod that casts up to 60gs and with the smaller reel you will get more distance with those lighter lures

Anth

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”