Baitcaster use in salt water.

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Baitcaster use in salt water.

Post by April Fool » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:46 pm

Hi all.
Just wondering if people use baitcast reels much in saltwater? The obvious one would be for barra, but do they get used for any other applications in saltwater? I am talking about smaller baitcasters as well...like the low profile ones. I think there are larger models that may be used for saltwater jigging. Me have no fkn idea!
cheers
Team Bender
Has no fkn idea what do do with all his baitcast reels!

jedgpz

Re: Baitcaster use in salt water.

Post by jedgpz » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:55 pm

I have no Idea either ha

I will be using one chasing Snapper soon. I am sure it should work

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:22 pm

ive had guys with me fish baitcasters on pinkies, squid and literally whatever else they could catch on them

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:16 pm

I could see a purpose for them having to accurately flick around snags for bream and EP's in estuaries, rivers and whatnot

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:28 pm

I use them in salt in vic

Casting soft plastics for flaties ect

They are a standout real for flicking any lure

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:41 pm

jedgpz wrote:I have no Idea either ha

Will you be using it for bait fishing or casting lures? I was talking to another member from here a while ago asking if it was worth trying baitrunners in fresh water. He said he uses his baitcaster as a baitrunner sometimes. Cast out the bait and leave the spool disengaged and wullah...a baitrunner reel! Only issue is the fish will likely head back into the snags so yeah, the baitrunner principle may not be that good in fresh in snaggy conditions.

The only other issue with using baitcasters in salt is if they can stand up to the salt. I have an old Shimano Chronarch 50Mg reel. I have been told not to take it anywhere near the salt! Apparently magnesium vs salt water will not end well. I guess all modern baitcast reels can handle salt water?
cheers
Team Bender
Has no idea!

jedgpz

Post by jedgpz » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:41 pm

April Fool wrote:
jedgpz wrote:I have no Idea either ha

Will you be using it for bait fishing or casting lures? I was talking to another member from here a while ago asking if it was worth trying baitrunners in fresh water. He said he uses his baitcaster as a baitrunner sometimes. Cast out the bait and leave the spool disengaged and wullah...a baitrunner reel! Only issue is the fish will likely head back into the snags so yeah, the baitrunner principle may not be that good in fresh in snaggy conditions.

The only other issue with using baitcasters in salt is if they can stand up to the salt. I have an old Shimano Chronarch 50Mg reel. I have been told not to take it anywhere near the salt! Apparently magnesium vs salt water will not end well. I guess all modern baitcast reels can handle salt water?
cheers
Team Bender
Has no idea!
Just bait out of the boat. I figured I could use them as a baitrunner. They are just cheapies so if the salt kills them then it does not really matter, will be rising them in fresh water too.

I have just changed all my cod flicking and trolling rods, picked up a swimbait rod as well so looking forward to cod season

Jed

Expomnowcon
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Expomnowcon » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:11 am

I use a Okuma Komodo SS if I take a BC set up out for flicking lures in salt when going for jewies, snapper etc (....not too successfully). It's salt resistant and a solid piece of kit, heavily recommended

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:17 am

That Okuma Komodo SS has 14kg of drag! WOW

Expomnowcon
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Expomnowcon » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:05 pm

Bayrock wrote:That Okuma Komodo SS has 14kg of drag! WOW
It's a tank! It's overkill 90% of the time so I don't take it out too often, but I will hopefully snag a kingy on it one day and get a solid fight to test it out properly

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”