Swimbait rods hit the half kg mark!

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Swimbait rods hit the half kg mark!

Post by April Fool » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:24 pm

So...the Frogley's newsletter landed on my email this arvo...almost measured a 9 on the richter scale with the announcement that Samurai have released a couple swimbait models in their 'Refraction' range of baitcasters.
https://products.samurairods.com.au/pro ... refraction
As far as I know this is the first swimbait models made by Samurai. As far as I can tell...they will be expensive! I have seen a lot of Samurai rod models which do not carry casting weight recommendations...these are different.

Samurai RF Swim Bait 8'3, BC, 20-50lb, 100-500g

Samurai RF Swim Bait 7'6, BC, 16-40lb, 10-200g

A maximum cast weight of 500 grams for the heavy model. I have no idea what is out there in swimbait rod world but for the ones I have seen locally, this leaves them for dead!!!! After all, Carl Jocumson did mention at the 'Codference' that lures were getting bigger and bigger! You could throw one of them large Rapala display lures with this bad boy rod! Now you have to excuse me as I need to start working out!
cheers
Team Bender
Where will it end?

Stumpjumper
Has liked: 19 times

Re: Swimbait rods hit the half kg mark!

Post by Stumpjumper » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:29 pm

April Fool wrote: Where will it end?
HeHe.....someone will re-discover aeroplane spinners.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:01 pm

I think I'm going to go to the local bunnings and clean them out of broomsticks. And then remake them as new swim bait rods. Save myself some coin!!!

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:20 pm

500gram bait is huge but like he said I’m excited to see the size of baits to hit the Australian market in years to come! Big cod fishos are gonna be part time body builders haha

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:15 pm

That Carl Jocumson blokes talk was good but you could really tell half way through it was to push rods and lures they want and will sell.

Guys have been consistently catching big cod with the "normal" cod sized lures and setups we have already. It made me laugh when he said it will get to a stage were we are casting 3lb to 4lb lures or whatever he said. I thought, awesome way to sell $300 lures!

People catch 1000lb marlin with 12-16inch skirts and we all know what a marlin can eat.

Blokes are going to start casting 1m lures that look like a cod to catch a 1m cod lol

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:31 am

im all for change in lure tactics, but this so drastic that you cannot use existing gear to make use of the new stuff. everything has to be redone, new rods, new line class, maybe even perhaps new reels too. and imagine loosing one of these lures :o_0:
ill stick to my bream and salmon lures thanks..

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:08 am

Sinsemilla wrote:That Carl Jocumson blokes talk was good but you could really tell half way through it was to push rods and lures they want and will sell.

I have no doubt there is a marketing aspect to it all but I also think it is a craze that has taken hold. Then the marketing you speak of comes into play as people are snapping up bigger and 'better' things so every company wants their share. The lure that Carl had...worth $600...did he say what brand it was? I don't think he did and that tells me it was not all about marketing.
purple5ive wrote:im all for change in lure tactics, but this so drastic that you cannot use existing gear to make use of the new stuff. everything has to be redone, new rods, new line class, maybe even perhaps new reels too. and imagine loosing one of these lures :o_0:
ill stick to my bream and salmon lures thanks..
Not to mention a new latte will be required for the discerning bream fisho turned cod fisho! Any suggestions purple durple?!!!! Jokes aside, has anyone ever encountered any fishing fads that have required purchasing...virtually everything from scratch?
cheers
Team Bender
Going for ultrasound this arvo for suspected rotator cuff problems...won't be throwing swimbaits for a while!

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:20 am

April Fool wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:That Carl Jocumson blokes talk was good but you could really tell half way through it was to push rods and lures they want and will sell.

I have no doubt there is a marketing aspect to it all but I also think it is a craze that has taken hold. Then the marketing you speak of comes into play as people are snapping up bigger and 'better' things so every company wants their share. The lure that Carl had...worth $600...did he say what brand it was? I don't think he did and that tells me it was not all about marketing.
He said it was custom made by a friend.

I guess they can do whatever they want and sell whatever they want and if people want to buy into it, it's completely up to them.

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:14 am

Sinsemilla wrote:
April Fool wrote:

I guess they can do whatever they want and sell whatever they want and if people want to buy into it, it's completely up to them.

As a person who recently lost a swimbait and reordered the exact same lure within a week, I have succumbed to the new craze. :rofl:
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:45 pm

smokin_reels wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:
April Fool wrote:

As a person who recently lost a swimbait and reordered the exact same lure within a week, I have succumbed to the new craze. :rofl:
Man it sucks losing expensive lures.. Did you get a fish on it before you lost it? It hurts more when you don't!

I mean them talking about even bigger gear than the swimbait gear thats just come out. Throwing 3 to 4lb lures! It's crazy.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”