Has liked: 39 times

Re: Anti reverse switch on reels.

Post by smile0784 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:38 pm

I think mine was a stilstar but this was about 10 years ago now

Would have bought it from hook up bait and tackle when they use to be great

Yowie..

Post by Yowie.. » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:22 pm

Brownie wrote::-D Fair enough, though not too many carp around when I started. And never saw anyone back wind ever :-D What some may not know is that there were some decent reels with actual decent drags years ago. No, I know everyone likes to think that today is the ants pants and nobody had a hope of getting good fish years ago. ( not a shot mate just some recollections) but the trout fishing in the 60's 70's 80's here in Vic made today look lame. And yep we got em on old non skirted spool reels, mono line, fibre glass rods and in little streams like the Jim Crow Creek a 5 to 8 lb brown was common. They actually got up to 12lb in it. It never stopped running and you could kneel down and drink the water out of it. You could spend 3 hours on the Loddon between Cairn Curran and Vaughan and catch fish in every pool and pick and choose what youd keep or release.
Catching redfin any size got boring and they were treated as carp. But never did i know of those reverse switches fail or see anyone use them to backwind. I think, to be honest, the guy who told you that made it up or heard it and passed it on like an urban tale. Seriously, it wasn't all that bad back then. Love the new stuff, but I never had a crap drag reel, some not great that I made good but it wasn't like we had stone washers :-D
Would I swap my stuff now back for the old? :-D Never, im not an idiot, it is better, but we didn't fish with spears back then. :-D
What? You had a reel haha (joke) as a kid i only had a long bamboo stick with line tied to the end.. still got me eels, redfin and carp. We mainly fished dams or creeks full of reeds so no casting was needed, just dangle it amongst the reeds and snags.

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:32 pm

Yowie.. wrote:
Brownie wrote::-D Fair enough, though not too many carp around when I started. And never saw anyone back wind ever :-D What some may not know is that there were some decent reels with actual decent drags years ago. No, I know everyone likes to think that today is the ants pants and nobody had a hope of getting good fish years ago. ( not a shot mate just some recollections) but the trout fishing in the 60's 70's 80's here in Vic made today look lame. And yep we got em on old non skirted spool reels, mono line, fibre glass rods and in little streams like the Jim Crow Creek a 5 to 8 lb brown was common. They actually got up to 12lb in it. It never stopped running and you could kneel down and drink the water out of it. You could spend 3 hours on the Loddon between Cairn Curran and Vaughan and catch fish in every pool and pick and choose what youd keep or release.
Catching redfin any size got boring and they were treated as carp. But never did i know of those reverse switches fail or see anyone use them to backwind. I think, to be honest, the guy who told you that made it up or heard it and passed it on like an urban tale. Seriously, it wasn't all that bad back then. Love the new stuff, but I never had a crap drag reel, some not great that I made good but it wasn't like we had stone washers :-D
Would I swap my stuff now back for the old? :-D Never, im not an idiot, it is better, but we didn't fish with spears back then. :-D
What? You had a reel haha (joke) as a kid i only had a long bamboo stick with line tied to the end.. still got me eels, redfin and carp. We mainly fished dams or creeks full of reeds so no casting was needed, just dangle it amongst the reeds and snags.
Yeah, started out borrowing my dads reels, loved using his black Mitchell, his pride and joy and I still have it and the drag actually is still pretty acceptable. He got that in the mid 60's so for a reel over 50 yrs old it shows how well they were made. Washers did get replaced around the 90's 2000. My personal pride and joy was an Intrepid Black Prince I got from saved up paper round money. Still have a Swedish made Abu fly rod too that has a serial number on it. Don't know why but it has one. The reel I'm still trying to find for that in my late Dads shed/barn. I'll find it one day. Came across a little box of lures a few months ago, had some old left and right turn Devon's in it, old wobblers. Even another little fly box with his old flies in it. Great stuff. And some old French bubble floats we used to use to float hoppers and crickets under for trout. Damn all that stuff brought back some great memories.

Yowie..

Post by Yowie.. » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:03 pm

Sounds like our dads would of got along! The old tackle box's even all have the same smell, dont think dad had many shop bought lures or spinners, dad n grandad always made there own from old coins or spoons. I also have there old camping and hunting gear, no led lights! I use an old kero lantern and the second its light it takes me back to the days when an old potato hessian bag was my sleeping bag..

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:44 am

Yowie.. wrote:Sounds like our dads would of got along! The old tackle box's even all have the same smell, dont think dad had many shop bought lures or spinners, dad n grandad always made there own from old coins or spoons. I also have there old camping and hunting gear, no led lights! I use an old kero lantern and the second its light it takes me back to the days when an old potato hessian bag was my sleeping bag..
You slept in a hessian bag?! I got a rash just reading that.

Yowie..

Post by Yowie.. » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:24 am

Haha i would of only been 5 or so, but yep old potato sacks is what we used as kids. Tell ya what though it sure made me greatful of my first proper sleeping bag!

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:56 am

If you have a reel with infinite anti reverse bearing then this can stop working and allow back winding if it gets salt/salt water, dirt, rust in it. They can also play up if you try to service them and use grease or other heavy weight lubricant in them. Use a thin oil (like inox mx3) in this bearing and use it lightly. I get best results from one drop of extremely thin oil containing PTFE that is designed for mountain bike chains. Be careful not to use too much or to let it mix with your reel grease in the gearing or it will thin it down.

I don't miss the anti reverse lever at all. Never used it, one less thing to maintain, break, allow water ingress to reel, pay for, add weight. It may also allow more room in the gear case for added strength in the gearset or stiffen the case itself.

I too was a little surprised when I got my first reel without it but soon become a believer it it's absence.

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:45 pm

Yowie.. wrote:Sounds like our dads would of got along! The old tackle box's even all have the same smell, dont think dad had many shop bought lures or spinners, dad n grandad always made there own from old coins or spoons. I also have there old camping and hunting gear, no led lights! I use an old kero lantern and the second its light it takes me back to the days when an old potato hessian bag was my sleeping bag..
I think so mate. My dad was from NSW Tarcutta, never got his first pair of shoes till he was 10. He loved the bush and always took me fishing and rabbiting from about age 5. We fished the Loddon, Jim Crow creek, Jacksons, Deep creek, Bullengarook streams, Goulbourn river and when he got a tinny the bay. Heaps of other places too. We had some awesome fishing adventures. He was a good fisherman too. Once he took me to the Bullengarook streams in the 1970's drought. There was this little tiny stream you could have jumped over before the drought but then were just little pools. Damn, it was hard to believe it was real, tiny pools with 2 to 3 lb Brown's in them in full sight, nowhere to hide. They were gonna die anyway, you just scooped em up in a net. The streams did dry out completely in that drought but to have seen fish that size in them anytime was hard to believe, but they were there I swear. Today, I highly doubt it as then before that drought to hear a creek or river was dry was unheard of in that era.
Yep mate, the good old day's for sure. :thumbsup:

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:56 pm

skronkman wrote:If you have a reel with infinite anti reverse bearing then this can stop working and allow back winding if it gets salt/salt water, dirt, rust in it. They can also play up if you try to service them and use grease or other heavy weight lubricant in them. Use a thin oil (like inox mx3) in this bearing and use it lightly. I get best results from one drop of extremely thin oil containing PTFE that is designed for mountain bike chains. Be careful not to use too much or to let it mix with your reel grease in the gearing or it will thin it down.

I don't miss the anti reverse lever at all. Never used it, one less thing to maintain, break, allow water ingress to reel, pay for, add weight. It may also allow more room in the gear case for added strength in the gearset or stiffen the case itself.

I too was a little surprised when I got my first reel without it but soon become a believer it it's absence.
I'll probably end up the same mate. Was a surprise to not see one.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”