Anti reverse switch on reels.

Brownie

Anti reverse switch on reels.

Post by Brownie » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:57 pm

Hi guys. Recently I got a Shimano Sedona. Now apart from it having just 1 drag washer, which I can live with if it was ok but it wasn't and was crap, but I did have a replacement from an old Tica reel that made it good. But this was missing, an anti reverse switch option. Meaning it stays in anti reverse mode permanently. The only times I'll admit that I chose to disengage that was when putting it in its box, any reel, now and then when not in use, or when placing it in the back of my 4wd too let the handle go in place more easily for travel. Do I miss it? Yes and no. I can live with it ok, but would I want it if I had the option? A Sedona with it or a Sedona without? I think I'd choose the one with the option. Can't help but feel Shimano are cheaping out again. Is this the fall of Shimano quality yet again!
Thoughts.

denis barden

Re: Anti reverse switch on reels.

Post by denis barden » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:15 pm

Yes I only buy the older model reels

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:31 pm

The anti reverse on the newer shimano are underneath the body and almost flush mounted. Have a good look for it.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:22 pm

I reckon those reverse functions on reels are more trouble than they are worth. Could be wrong, I’m sure this was discussed on another post a while back...the consensus was that the function 1st started disappearing on the top end Shimano’s and have progressed through to all their models.

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:25 pm

purple5ive wrote:The anti reverse on the newer shimano are underneath the body and almost flush mounted. Have a good look for it.
Hi mate. No, I would not have posted this if I was not 100% sure it didnt have one. Been fishing for 47 yrs mate.

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:29 pm

Brownie wrote:
purple5ive wrote:The anti reverse on the newer shimano are underneath the body and almost flush mounted. Have a good look for it.
Hi mate. No, I would not have posted this if I was not 100% sure it didnt have one. Been fishing for 47 yrs mate .
Not a deal breaker by any means, just to me a convenience that has been taken away from me.
[ /quote]

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:35 pm

Ok, ill add this too. Apart from using it to add to the ease of storing it in its box without having to get the precise point where it fits, handle, bail arm wise.
But also for letting it sit without any which way force on the anti reverse bearing. Does it matter! Don't know, but why was it incorporated in the first place?

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:36 pm

Brownie wrote:Ok, ill add this too. Apart from using it to add to the ease of storing it in its box without having to get the precise point where it fits, handle, bail arm wise.
But also for letting it sit without any which way force on the anti reverse bearing. Does it matter! Don't know, but why was it incorporated in the first place?
No guesses, actually why?

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:37 pm

Brownie wrote:
Brownie wrote:Ok, ill add this too. Apart from using it to add to the ease of storing it in its box without having to get the precise point where it fits, handle, bail arm wise.
No guesses, actually why?
Damn, I just quoted myself :-D

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:04 pm

They are the first thing to go on a reel, more trouble than they are worth in my opinion.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”