Rear drag spin reels...

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Rear drag spin reels...

Post by April Fool » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:22 pm

...does anybody use them? I used them a lot many years ago but then went off them. At the time I heard that the drag on front drags were smoother. This seemed to be the case when I checked them out then.

Anyway, I have returned to the dark side and purchased 2 Shimano Exage reels for freshwater fishing. I rarely adjust the drag during a fight but find it easier to do with the rear drag.

Rear drag reels can't be that popular as there are not many for sale in tackle stores. Has anyone tried them?
Cheers
Team Bender
Known for doing things backward.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Rear drag spin reels...

Post by smile0784 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:32 pm

I had one 10 years ago but prefer front drag reels or Abu 7000 now

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:08 pm

Rear drag as in baitfeeder reels?
It's useful for targetting particular fish as the main purpose is to be able to switch drag in an instant.
E.g. carp fishing, carps love to nibble before they swallow and swim away. Anything unusual like rod/reel/sinker resistance and the carp spits the bait.
So it's good to use almost zero rear drag, let the carp swallows the bait without resistance and swims away, then snap! Switch to front drag. Bbbbzzzzzz!!!

Similar concept to overhead lever drag. Especially with live bait. Let the fish take and swim for a bit without resistance then turn the drag.

I missed few good mulloways because I didn't use baitfeeder reel.

Stumpjumper
Has liked: 19 times

Post by Stumpjumper » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:20 pm

Carp just aren't that smart in my experience. Lightly weighted running sinker rig is just fine. If they're on the chew, no probs.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:28 pm

I have two, and only use them on occasion, but do use them. Mostly for Mully fishing and more so only in West Lakes. I found free spooling for me a bit too loose, so the second drag just tightens up the "loose" and then when it runs, turn the handle to set the Circle hook on the primary drag.

I prefer to use either a Abu 6500 or 7000 for most large fishing. And a Penn 950 on my Surf outfits. All basic but decent, well my decent.

On my "normal" outfits, I'm just use to only the one drag, and if I want a bit more drag, to what I have set on the single drag reel, I cup the spool to add more drag.

Aaaah, but the Brother in-law loves them and has a few and uses them often (unless he is on his Abu 7000)

Cheers, Bugatti

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:33 pm

Seb85 wrote:Rear drag as in baitfeeder reels?
No...the rear drag spin reels I am talking about do not have the baitrunner function. Basically, a spin reel that has the drag mounted on the rear. The model I have has a push button on the spool for quick release. There are a lot more models available overseas, especially by Shimano.
Cheers
Jim

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:02 pm

April Fool wrote:
Seb85 wrote:Rear drag as in baitfeeder reels?
No...the rear drag spin reels I am talking about do not have the baitrunner function. Basically, a spin reel that has the drag mounted on the rear. The model I have has a push button on the spool for quick release. There are a lot more models available overseas, especially by Shimano.
Cheers
Jim

Aaaah, I was replying thinking you meant bait runners.

I can't remember ever seeing one. Might go see if I can find one, see what they look like in real life.

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:34 pm

I grew up with them in South Africa but haven’t seen them in 15 years or so

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:44 pm

One of my favourite reels as a kid

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:13 pm

April Fool wrote:...does anybody use them? I used them a lot many years ago but then went off them. At the time I heard that the drag on front drags were smoother. This seemed to be the case when I checked them out then.

Anyway, I have returned to the dark side and purchased 2 Shimano Exage reels for freshwater fishing. I rarely adjust the drag during a fight but find it easier to do with the rear drag.

Rear drag reels can't be that popular as there are not many for sale in tackle stores. Has anyone tried them?
Cheers
Team Bender
Known for doing things backward.
Yep, got two of those myself. Awesome reels with the drag lever, can up or down the drag without missing a beat. Had these for a few years now, the smaller 1000 one had a little bit of a drag pulse, so I replaced the washers from another old reel. The larger 2500 though has always had a smooth spot on drag. Im sure I read not long ago Shimano had a rear drag version of the Sienna.
IMG_20190201_230426_001.jpg

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”