Rear drag spin reels...

TheNix
Has liked: 33 times

Re: Rear drag spin reels...

Post by TheNix » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:36 am

I have two rear fighting drag reels, and love them.

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:49 pm

Brownie wrote:...........Yep, got two of those myself. Awesome reels with the drag lever, can up or down the drag without missing a beat. Had these for a few years now, the smaller 1000 one had a little bit of a drag pulse, so I replaced the washers from another old reel. The larger 2500 though has always had a smooth spot on drag. Im sure I read not long ago Shimano had a rear drag version of the Sienna.
How could I have forgotten the best aspect...the drag lever.
drag lever.JPG
Set it too start with, then it is easily accessible if you need to change it and easily returned to the original setting. That is one thing I do remember well about the Exage I used to have. You are correct too regarding the Sienna version. They were in the local tackle store when I purchased the Exages. Neither models were in there yesterday when I looked...just the basic IX models.
Bugatti wrote:.................................................................................................................................................................
This is the 2000, in a bargain bin for $15. There were 4000 in there for the same price. These are very basic , , , , very basic, the quality is , , , , not sure the quality scale goes down low enough to describe these. So I bought TWO :-D

I actually bought them for a specific reason, to be told in another post.

......................................................................................
The IX....the last spinning reel listed on the Shimano home page for spinning reels. Which reminds me, I have a couple of these as well...think they come with a combo of which I purchased for the rod. I know one member here uses them extensively for his carp fishing! Have a look through this thread and the IX reels feature.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6952&hilit=cc+corn&start=1020

What will I use them for...bait fishing for carp or redfin. A reel that can be chucked around and who cares! As long as it is on a cheap rod...then I won't care! As far as I'm concerned, cheap reels like this are good if used within their limits. Problem is sometimes they can be placed out of their comfort zone by chance! Then things turn to sh!t! Anyway, if fitted with good line, I am happy to use any level of reel within its boundaries. I am looking forward to your IX thread Bill as I'm guessing you may push these boundaries!
cheers

Team Bender
Trash Fish Master

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:01 pm

April Fool wrote:
Bugatti wrote: This is the 2000, in a bargain bin for $15. There were 4000 in there for the same price. These are very basic , , , , very basic, the quality is , , , , not sure the quality scale goes down low enough to describe these. So I bought TWO :-D

I actually bought them for a specific reason, to be told in another post.
The IX....the last spinning reel listed on the Shimano home page for spinning reels. Which reminds me, I have a couple of these as well.

A reel that can be chucked around and who cares! As long as it is on a cheap rod...then I won't care!

As far as I'm concerned, cheap reels like this are good if used within their limits. Problem is sometimes they can be placed out of their comfort zone by chance! Then things turn to sh!t! Anyway, if fitted with good line, I am happy to use any level of reel within its boundaries.

cheers

Team Bender
Trash Fish Master

Mr A Fool (but far from it), I totally agree with what you've said.

But first to clarify.

Those reels, the Shimano IX 4000 have been bought by me, to have fun and bust up on catching big somethings because they are only $15. BUT if used in their comfort zone (as you put it, which is an accurate (and nice) way of putting it) they would catch any fish any other 4000 series would catch. The quality of any reel is really up to the user to make their judgement call. I'm going to use these 4000s where a Shark/Tuna reel should be used , , , , because, what's life if you can't be a noob sometimes.

Cheap reels, some and maybe most, if used within their limits are good for what they are. We all agree that they aren't Stella 1000s but they are reels none the less. The quality of a reel is up to the owner's choosing as also is the cost of buying that reel is also.

I have kids, financial commitments, other interests. So the fishing gear I buy meets my circumstances, as everyone else's is. It is refreshing to see that some members acknowledge that and even suggest "entry level" gear as a good option to start with and even as a keeper for ever and ever, happily ever after, so to speak.

These reels are different, so is the price, and it is up to that individual fisho to decide for themselves.
reelreel.PNG

Cheers, Bugatti

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:17 pm

You need to now get a lever drag reel and catch fish on that, you know just cause... :-D :-D :-D

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:50 pm

purple5ive wrote:You need to now get a lever drag reel and catch fish on that, you know just cause... :-D :-D :-D
You are right, purple5ive. It is one of the types of reels I have never used before. Knowing my luck, I'd bump the lever into the "superglue tight" setting just when I have hooked a trophy fish :snap:

Anxious now, Bugatti

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:45 am

That was meant for Jim, but hey im not complaining about 2 birds with one stone :-D

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:04 am

purple5ive wrote:That was meant for Jim, but hey im not complaining about 2 birds with one stone :-D
I have 2 of them. Am in the process of spooling up the entire armada of reels that I have.

Has Daiwa ever tried the rear drag concept?
Cheers
Team Bender
Thought you were talking to Bugatti as well!

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:57 am

April Fool wrote:
purple5ive wrote:That was meant for Jim, but hey im not complaining about 2 birds with one stone :-D
I have 2 of them. Am in the process of spooling up the entire armada of reels that I have.

Has Daiwa ever tried the rear drag concept?
Cheers
Team Bender
ahh didnt think they sold them here locally.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:11 am

April Fool wrote: Team Bender
That is a pretty good aim you have there purple5ive, getting 2 birds with that one stone.

Mind you, one of those birds is a dodo. The other may be Fool by name but definitely not fool by nature.

Cheers, Bugatti

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”