So, that was an expensive trip to the pier ...

ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

So, that was an expensive trip to the pier ...

Post by ChrisTaylor » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:32 pm

To cut a boring story short, I managed to kill a Shimano Raider. I don't think I was doing anything stupid -- indeed, I don't recall breaking a rod before, and my go-to rod is a far more delicate creature -- but there you have it. It snapped right below the bit that joins to the other half. That other half is somewhere in the vicinity of Frankston Pier right now. Perhaps you'll catch it one day.

The rod is a few months old, but I don't have my proof of purchase any more. What're my options? A guy at the pier figured I have zero chance of Shimano selling me half a rod. I'm willing to get creative and/or learn a new skill if that's what it takes to save purchasing a (whole) replacement.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Re: So, that was an expensive trip to the pier ...

Post by davek » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:47 pm

Just for interest sake, what were you doing when it broke, a couple of us have had conversations about Raiders breaking it would be nice to know if it was just the workmanship, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

ChrisTaylor

Post by ChrisTaylor » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:50 pm

Casting. The lure is within the casting range of the 'egi' model. I wasn't casting a brick, by any means. The break was clean. You'd think someone had cut it.

EDIT

I remember reading that 'old' Raiders were prone to snapping, but I believe mine was one of the 'newer' ones. For what it's worth. I mean, there's still half a rod in the drink.

davek

Post by davek » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:03 pm

I too had heard about the older ones and haven't had a problem with my newer model cod raider. I cast some decent lures and have been expecting something though, cheers davo

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:11 pm

If you bought it at BCf and put it on your club card they can look it up on your card

ChrisTaylor

Post by ChrisTaylor » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:18 pm

davek wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:03 pm
I too had heard about the older ones and haven't had a problem with my newer model cod raider. I cast some decent lures and have been expecting something though, cheers davo
Unless I'm able to pick up a replacement top half, I don't think I'll be replacing this with another Raider.

davek

Post by davek » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:19 pm

ChrisTaylor wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:18 pm
davek wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:03 pm
Unless I'm able to pick up a replacement top half, I don't think I'll be replacing this with another Raider.
You never know, someone here may have one, cheers davo

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:29 pm

It’s just one of the issues with graphite rods, it only takes a small crack (might have fallen off the rack, something fell on it whilst in the car) and they snap clean off like it was cut with a knife. Shimano doesn’t sell parts of rods (except nibble tips)...I keep the good parts after accidents and make ‘frankenrods’.

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:36 pm

ChrisTaylor wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:50 pm
Casting. The lure is within the casting range of the 'egi' model. I wasn't casting a brick, by any means. The break was clean. You'd think someone had cut it.

EDIT

I remember reading that 'old' Raiders were prone to snapping, but I believe mine was one of the 'newer' ones. For what it's worth. I mean, there's still half a rod in the drink.
So your line snapped obviously if you lost the other half to the sea floor. Your line or lure must of snagged on something during the cast? Maybe you can pick a second hand one up at a laverton market I know I saw some used rods there a few weeks ago. Even saw top sections and bottom sections being sold but didn't really look at them so can't tell you what there were.

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:33 pm

I thought you can just go to a fishing shop and order half rod. They'll call Shimano and you pay half rod.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”