Estimate of line required for b/c.

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Estimate of line required for b/c.

Post by April Fool » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:03 pm

Hi peoples
I have a Shimano Alderbaran I have to spool up. I want to use a 150 m spool of Daiwa 8 strand 10 lb braid. Capacity specs provided with the reel provide several figures for different breaking strains, braid mono etc.

One set of specs I can relate to is 20 lb Power Pro = 85 yards. 20 lb Power Pro dia is 0.23 mm. 85 yards converts to 77 metres. My Daiwa braid dia is 0.12 mm, approx half of the PP braid. Am I correct to assume that my 150 metre spool that I want to use should fit rather well (half the dia...will fit twice the length).

On another note, when I pick up the Alderbaran box with the reel in it...the box feels like it is empty!!!
Cheers
Team Bender
Confuses myself sometimes!

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: Estimate of line required for b/c.

Post by mazman » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:16 pm

There's a bit of an if here because shimano like to overstate how much line their reels can take but when you halve the diameter the cross-sectional area of the line is a quarter the size. I find 3 to 4 times as much a better estimate but it really depends if they were correct in the first place.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:22 pm

mazman wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:16 pm
..... but when you halve the diameter the cross-sectional area of the line is a quarter the size. I find 3 to 4 times as much a better estimate but it really depends if they were correct in the first place.
I did the maths and I see what you mean. For some unknown reason I feel like a pie but I digress! Not sure if I have things around the wrong way but when you say "3 to 4 times", you mean my 150 metres may fall well short? When I look at the spool it looks small.

Could take it to Trellys and get them to do it from one of there 500 km long spools until it is full but I don't want to fork out more dollars. Other option if you think it will be short is I just go for it and if it falls short, fill it with mono and then back onto another spool...then another and then back onto reel.
Cheers
Team Bender
Struggles with line mathematics during late nocturnal hours!

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:32 pm

April Fool wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:22 pm
mazman wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:16 pm
..... but when you halve the diameter the cross-sectional area of the line is a quarter the size. I find 3 to 4 times as much a better estimate but it really depends if they were correct in the first place.
I did the maths and I see what you mean. For some unknown reason I feel like a pie but I digress! Not sure if I have things around the wrong way but when you say "3 to 4 times", you mean my 150 metres may fall well short? When I look at the spool it looks small.

Could take it to Trellys and get them to do it from one of there 500 km long spools until it is full but I don't want to fork out more dollars. Other option if you think it will be short is I just go for it and if it falls short, fill it with mono and then back onto another spool...then another and then back onto reel.
Cheers
Team Bender
Struggles with line mathematics during late nocturnal hours!

Yeah, that is a mind bender , , , , double the diameter and the area does get 3-4 times bigger, which is what the line would occupy , , , , does my head in too. (also on a digression, the same misnomer occurs when people workout DIY watering systems, hydrodynamics and all that :o_0:

diameter eq.PNG
diameter eq.PNG (8.71 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
diameter pi.PNG
diameter.PNG

April Fool wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:22 pm

For some unknown reason I feel like a pie but I digress!
Cheers
Team Bender

Yeah, I feel like having a pie too, for some reason

diameter pies.PNG

Chunky Steak and Mushroom , , , , please

Cheers, Bugatti

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”