Edge rods.

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Edge rods.

Post by April Fool » Sun May 19, 2019 2:27 pm

Hi Peoples
The local CA store received its first delivery of 'Edge' rods about 3 weeks ago. These rods are made in the US and from what I can tell, Gary Loomis is at the helm. Of course you pay the price! The local store has only baitcast rods in stock at the moment. Two different models of which the most expensive rod was above $700! Are they worth it? This would be debated and everyone will have their own opinion but they feel fantastic. They have different style grips as well, as in the material used. Some/all of their baitcasters do not have a grip above the reel seat as well.

I thought they would sell slowly due to the price but they have sold at least 2 or 3. An order has been put in for more of which some have already been pre-sold. Including someone who has pruchased one and used it and was so impressed he ordered another one. Next he will likely buy the company! I am not sure if they have been around for a while but at this point stocks in the country may be low and not all models are available. I guess that may change.
http://www.fish-tecsolutions.com/Edge-Rods.html
cheers
Team Bender
Will be a while before I can afford one!

Bugatti

Re: Edge rods.

Post by Bugatti » Sun May 19, 2019 8:33 pm

I think "worth" is a perspective commodity Jim.

All to do with "intrinsic value", "appreciation" and "feel good".

I have "decent" but basic (to some but awesome to others) rods & reels. Plus I have to have a few of each, to equip my kids too. I used to criticise the blokes who would spend mega bucks on gear BUT now I understand if you can, why not, good on them and good luck to those that can.

I witnessed a "noob" (a cashed up noob) with a Stella reel (not sure about the rod, must of been expensive too I'm sure) at Glenelg jetty one night. He had no idea and the "quality" of the Stella was past his comprehension. He hooked a ray , , , , and was winding in like a madman when the line was peeling out. The ensuing conversation, went something like this.

Me: "Your drag is going mate, you shouldn't be winding in."
Him: "I know, that's why I am winding in, to get the line back."
Me: "That's not how it works, you aren't getting any line back."
Him: "I know (I thought then he finally got it, I was wrong) , , , , I'm not winding fast enough" , , , , he asserted confidently.

Then I witnessed him crank it up from "madman" to "Totally insane" , , , , he was winding even faster and his whole body was in an epileptic vigorous rhythm :o_0: :rofl:

So, I think they are worth it for some , , , , but my disposable income limits me to say , , , , but not for me :(

Cheers, Bug

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sun May 19, 2019 11:26 pm

Been around for a little while now Jim. There's a great story to go with the company and how Gary Loomis got brought back into the rod making industry on a video along with an explanation of the spiral guides on the bait cast model.

Haven't been fortunate enough to fish with one but everyone I know who has said they are fantastic.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Mon May 20, 2019 8:24 am

Bugatti wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:33 pm
I think "worth" is a perspective commodity Jim.

All to do with "intrinsic value", "appreciation" and "feel good".

I have "decent" but basic (to some but awesome to others) rods & reels. Plus I have to have a few of each, to equip my kids too. I used to criticise the blokes who would spend mega bucks on gear BUT now I understand if you can, why not, good on them and good luck to those that can.

I witnessed a "noob" (a cashed up noob) with a Stella reel (not sure about the rod, must of been expensive too I'm sure) at Glenelg jetty one night. He had no idea and the "quality" of the Stella was past his comprehension. He hooked a ray , , , , and was winding in like a madman when the line was peeling out. The ensuing conversation, went something like this.

Me: "Your drag is going mate, you shouldn't be winding in."
Him: "I know, that's why I am winding in, to get the line back."
Me: "That's not how it works, you aren't getting any line back."
Him: "I know (I thought then he finally got it, I was wrong) , , , , I'm not winding fast enough" , , , , he asserted confidently.

Then I witnessed him crank it up from "madman" to "Totally insane" , , , , he was winding even faster and his whole body was in an epileptic vigorous rhythm :o_0: :rofl:

So, I think they are worth it for some , , , , but my disposable income limits me to say , , , , but not for me :(

Cheers, Bug
I remember i met someone fishing on a pier with a stella and s fibreglass cheapo rod, sruffiest looking man on that pier. After 30 mins of conversation he admitted that he stole it, got shot on the leg and went to jail for it, but hid the stella in mum's place he said. He got out and the stella was still there... *Slowly I walked away*

Pricey rod. Gloomis range are pricey too. Certainly good rods. But when it comes to that price range, a lot to consider 'worth' it or not. Personally I would not commit to a rod that expensive unless I've done a 'test drive'. Hence a lot of fly fishing rods (the expensive ones) do a test cast before buying.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon May 20, 2019 10:38 am

i have fondled one for a fair few minutes.. too soft for my liking but that was just the 2 models i had to play with.
personal opinion and feel of the said rod goes a long way for some.

i drew the line quite a few years ago for myself at the generation blacks, then moved the line a bit further North to the commanders.. and that's where it's stayed for a while now, any more and its just not worth it to me as a fishing rod..
no doubt these rods are the bees knees to use and in sensitivity as mazman has already mentioned and also reflected by my own hearsay about the same..
Cheers

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Mon May 20, 2019 11:44 am

Too dear for me
JW gets me a line in the water
I've never fondled another person's rod, whether they're selling it or not
But that's just me
Cheers Gra

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Tue May 21, 2019 9:49 am

purple5ive wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:38 am
personal opinion and feel of the said rod goes a long way for some.
I would back P5 100% with his comment.

I have had the opportunity of using a number of Loomis Rods, Wilson Venoms, high end fly rods and over the years reached the conclusion that most of the time good mid range rods match them and sometimes exceed them in performance. Top end rods may have some slight advantages such as slightly lighter blanks, better guides and nicer wraps but it is a law of diminishing returns. I've compared Venoms and Loomis rods to my humble Veritas and consider it a better rod which is harder to break and very accurate at casting reasonably heavy lures. Its grip and runners aren't as good as the top enders, but they are not $500 dollar better rods. At the other end of the spectrum the budget Shimano raider rods are cheap and popular but break easily and don't cast the heavier lures as well as the Veritas and some of the top end rods. Good bang for the buck though. The Veritas have come down in price on some sites from the mid 250s to the mid 150s on some web stores almost on a par with the raiders. Great value for the money and the blanks are nearly indestructible.

A similar situation exists with top end fly rods. These are often fast action with tournament casters in mind. The great distances are usually not necessary on streams and the top enders lack finesse in presentation. I read many reviews on Classic Trout fly rods comparing them to the best all time dry fly rods before I bought one. The conclusion was that they were up there with the best which I have found in practice, its only negatives being slightly lower quality fittings.

If considering spending a lot of money on a rod I would always seek the opportunity to try it out first if possible.

If I thought $500 more on a rod would give me a significant advantage I would spend it. That may be the case for fishing light soft plastics for bream etc. For chasing cod with lures I don't see a big advantage over mid range rods, perhaps some improvement, but not massive. I believe investing in top quality lures, line and hooks so that if the fish of a lifetime comes along you have a better chance of hooking and landing it is a better investment.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Post by piscateur » Tue May 21, 2019 10:29 am

Edge Rods are awesome and the price not so. The sensitivity and and lightness in the hand is almost second to none, I only have one Edge rod but have 10 Loomis rods 7 spin and 3 fly, I believe that the TSR blanks from Loomis feel very similar to the equivalent Edge rods. I can cast non stop all day without fatigue with the Loomis rods. I shopped around and waited for good second hand or run out sales to build my quiver and paid on ave $400 for the spin rods 3no SR 842-2 and 4no TSR862-2 all GLX blanks the SR are my Hard Body Rods and the TSR for Plastics, for blading I use a different brand as I prefer a stiffer rod for this. These Edges are not like JW or Veritas which can take some beating , they are raw thin walled carbon rods and wont take much abuse, so at $700 it hurts.

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Tue May 21, 2019 3:58 pm

piscateur wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:29 am
............... These Edges are not like JW or Veritas which can take some beating , they are raw thin walled carbon rods and wont take much abuse, so at $700 it hurts.
Can you define abuse? Obviously if you slam a door on an edge rod it is stuffed...a cheaper more solid rod will have a better chance of surviving. But if used properly, normal fishing will be fine? What I mean is, a 3 - 5 kg rated edge rod is not going to explode into splinters if it hooks a 10 kg fish providing the angler does not do something stupid!
Cheers
Jim

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue May 21, 2019 4:15 pm

April Fool wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:58 pm
piscateur wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:29 am
............... These Edges are not like JW or Veritas which can take some beating , they are raw thin walled carbon rods and wont take much abuse, so at $700 it hurts.
Can you define abuse? Obviously if you slam a door on an edge rod it is stuffed...a cheaper more solid rod will have a better chance of surviving. But if used properly, normal fishing will be fine? What I mean is, a 3 - 5 kg rated edge rod is not going to explode into splinters if it hooks a 10 kg fish providing the angler does not do something stupid!
Cheers
Jim
What he means is..
Be extremely anal about how you store, use and maintain the rod. a small scratch/chip on the raw blank will be the end of it next time it is loaded up
Careless handling like pushing it to fit into rubber rod holders, accidentally knocking/dropping it on places like boat gunnels, rod holders or placing in the boot where it can be marked by other items in the boot etc will end in tears sooner than later..

for me something like that will not last long.
with a cheaper rod, i wouldnt give 2 rats about it breaking, but at $700 a pop i wouldnt take a chance at all and hence the rod is useless to me.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”