Help a newbie

Mr Fourex

Help a newbie

Post by Mr Fourex » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:35 pm

Hey guys,

New to the forum, some of you might have seen my introduction. I am new to fishing and I am still learning the basics.

I currently fish in my local creek, I have caught a few mullet and bream, I do this with a rod I was given (Shakespeare Ugly Stik K662SP) and a reel I bought from BCF (Shimano Sienna 4000).

I was also given a very old surf rod, I think it’s a Jarvis Walker that has a very old Daiwa reel on it.

However.. I would like to venture out from the local creek and do some saltwater fishing since I live on the surf coast, I also live a short drive to a pier as well as having a lot of little creeks and rivers around me.

That said, I am wondering if I could get some info/advice on what a good setup would be for aiming to catch bigger saltwater fish from either the pier or off the rocks at the various beaches around me, but might also still be good to take down to the creeks etc.

I’m not really after specific recommendations, rather I’m trying to figure out what the best size/type rods and reels would be comfortable using to fish small to medium/large fish from both the rivers and beaches around me. It’s very confusing since I see both the rods and reels come in different sizes.

Sorry for the convoluted question, and thanks!.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: Help a newbie

Post by Sebb » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:04 pm

Hey, you got the right attitude. Keen to learn and asking the right questions.

In a simple short summary, the bigger the reel, the heavier it is but also means it can hold more line and thicker/stronger line, also stronger drag. So if you're casting lures, you want lightest reel possible so you wont get tired quickly but you still want the reel to be strong enough. For bait fishing, mostly you wait, so weight doesn't matter much.

Rods however, in simple category, has two things to consider. The longer the rod the further you can cast (providing you're casting the recommended weight, it says on the rod), all rods also have weight class written. So if you fish from the beach or rocks you want a long rod and able to cast a decent weight depends on the weather condition and target fish. Eg. 9ft 5kg rod for whiting off the beach or 12ft 10kg rod for aussie salmon.

While on a boat, you need a short rod. The rod class depends what fish you after (eg 3kg 7ft rod for whiting fishing on a boat or 15kg 6ft rod for kingfish jigging on a boat).

For creek fishing where casting distance isnt required, a short rod is sufficient, easier and lighter to cast.

Choose the rod class best to suit the target fish.
Dont use 10-15kg rod that's designed for 20kg kingfish to catch bream, lol. Rather use 2-4kg rod.

Line is also to be considered. The thinner the line the ligther the line, but also means the fish cant see it, but breaks easily. Too thick and the fish wont bite. Choose best to suit the target fish.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:49 pm

Hey mate, best bet would be to think about what fish you want to target and how you want to catch them, either lure or bait, and that will get you started. Study the areas you want to fish and this will also narrow your selection down by knowing whether you need to cast far with heavy baits/sinkers or closer in with light baits or lures.

A 3-5kg 7ft rod with a 3000 size reel should get you going doing most stuff. There will never be a combo that covers everything and using fishing gear is really personal i think. Buy yourself something cheap but half decent to start with depending on what fishing you are wanting to do because upgrading is inevitable once you get the feel of things.

Cheers, Anth

Mr Fourex

Post by Mr Fourex » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:28 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, after reading them I am thinking about maybe holding off on venturing into saltwater for the time being and instead maybe giving lures a go at the local creek with my current setup. As up until now I have only been bait fishing and it seems that (from your replies) depending on if I want to use bait/lures and what fish I’m targeting will dictate what gear I should look into getting.

that said, any advice on using lures to catch mullet/bream and whatever else is in my local creek?

Edit: Also curious if there are certain types of reels that are better for using lures etc? I have only ever tried spinning reels (what I have now and what I used as a kid) I don’t yet have a particular interest in getting another type unless it would be better for using lures or something like that.

thanks again guys.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:52 pm

There's spinning reel, spincast, baitcast, alvey and overhead. Each has its own place, pros and cons. Stick with spinning reel for now, its a versatile type of reel.

Technique(s) and lure(s) that work at one spot may not work at other places. Best is to ask local tackle shop for the best lures for the species you're after and the place. Bring your rod and reel too so they can match you with the best lure and how to 'work' the lure.
To me, there's so many variables in lure fishing and no one fits all.

Go fishing with experienced fisho helps a lot. Or watch YouTube videos for the spot you're fishing. Diff place has diff condition hence diff technique and lure.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:39 pm

All depends.on your budget.
A.2000 to 3000 size.quality reels starts about $150 and really smooth and is.nicer to.use.
But saying that could still get fish on cheaper gear jis t doesn't feel as.nice lol

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”