Majorcraft Solpara Egi 832EL

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Majorcraft Solpara Egi 832EL

Post by Sebb » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:37 pm

So after few posts, I went and looked at Majorcraft Solpara and Crostage CRX on Saturday, bought the Solpara 832EL. Here's what I think from an amateur user.
rps20190804_213711.jpg
The Solpara is a tad heavier than the Crostage, funny because the Crostage has more graphite materials as it has graphite crossings wrapping inside and outside (not a good paraphrase) yet feels lighter (and more balance). The Crostage has a full butt and the Solpara has a split butt (doesn't concern me).

The Crostage has faster action and rebounds back quick, gives a crisp and 'stiff' feeling (like a Gen Black rod), doesn't go sideways too much either when 'whipping' it (usually means more accuracy). Reminds me of my Daiwa Lateo 9ft6 rod.

The Solpara feels 'softer' and gentle, bends more on the mid section. Just the way I like it. But it kicks sideways quite a bit. Imagine doing a cast like a samurai/kendo straight 'suburi swing', the rod kicks sideways making it less accurate.
It reminds me of my medium action fly rod, just gotta slow down, feel it and get the right timing and the right load.
images (15).jpeg
I purchased the Solpara after careful consideration. It's softer, gentler and has more parabolic curve action the way I want a squid rod to be (also cheaper and my missus' be okay with it :-D)

Mazman suggestion was to get the 832E instead of the 832EL (the 832E can cast heavier jig) and I have to agree, the 832EL uses the butt strength to casting 3.0 jig (struggling a little). Luckily I don't think I will have to cast 3.5 jig (don't even have one). Being mostly landbased, I use 2.0, 2.5 and 3.0 being 2.5 is the most, and this 832EL casts 2.5 perfectly.

Paired it Stradic 2500HG-K with 8lb line, tested it at Mornington pier. Took a few cast and got use to it. Tried both 2.5 and 3.0 jigs.

Within 15 mins I got a squid! I saw the line slowly turning straight on the slow drop and pull!
Was surprised with the shock absorbing the rod did. Not just during the 'fight' but also during the 'twitch', gives maximum action the jig could potentially do. Very soft and gentle.
IMG-20190803-WA0018~2.jpg
I remember few times happened in the past when fishing for squid with my soft plastic rod (very stiff and fast action). I jerked the rod often too hard loosing a few (often with overtighten drag too), or missed/lost and ended up with a piece of squid meat on the hook (ripped the tentacles probably), especially if the hit is during a twitch or retrieve.
The soft gentle action of this egi rod prevents that from happening. More forgiving.

Yes we can catch squid on any type of rods but so does a Prius can take us to places. But using an egi rod for squid fishing is like driving an Audi A1. Daiwa Emeraldas is probably the equivalent of a Ferrari. Each to their own.

Super essential?... No.
Worth getting? ... If you have a spare $125-$150, I'd say yes.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: Majorcraft Solpara Egi 832EL

Post by mazman » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:11 pm

Nice review Seb, you can still work a 3.5 on that rod if you need. They can come in handy if you stray a bit further down the peninsula
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:06 am

Impressive review Seb85 ...most impressive.. :notworthy: Image
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:14 am

Good review mate

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:31 am

Well done on the purchase nice review. When in faster running water like WesternPort the 3.5 jigs are what I use predominantly.

Conga line

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

#freebugatti

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:56 am

Nice review Seb and congrats on the new rod!!!
Hope you catch many more with it :)
Cheers :thumbsup:

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:04 am

rb85 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:31 am
Well done on the purchase nice review. When in faster running water like WesternPort the 3.5 jigs are what I use predominantly.

#freebugatti
mazman wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:11 pm
Nice review Seb, you can still work a 3.5 on that rod if you need. They can come in handy if you stray a bit further down the peninsula
Yeah, I thought of that, 3.5 in western port or any other places with fast/strong current. The only place I go is usually Flinders pier (the usual spot). Even with 3.0 at Flinders I do fine. Most squid places in ppb is shallow and slow which I go most.

And thanks all. Pretty happy with the rod.

matari
Has liked: 5 times

Post by matari » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:27 am

in most places you wont even need a 3.5 even in WP. Cheers Matari

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:04 am

did you load the rods up in the store? stiffer doesnt mean it wont be parabolic in action which is what you want in a dedicated squid rod.

did they have any EXL models? wouldnt mind one just for the smaller squid that are around at most other times.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:38 am

purple5ive wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:04 am
did you load the rods up in the store? stiffer doesnt mean it wont be parabolic in action which is what you want in a dedicated squid rod.

did they have any EXL models? wouldnt mind one just for the smaller squid that are around at most other times.
Yeah the Crostage has a parabolic curve too, but very 'crisp'.
I like the softer bend and slower 'bounce back' like a fly rod.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”