Post by Sebb » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:59 pm

wem21 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:43 pm
Oh my gosh

the weight difference

the way you can control the lure

literally another world, i just tested it out in my mates pool lol
Haha good decision :tu:
Do you think you will ever go back to the Kmart rod? ;-)
Unlike cheap fibre glass rod, you gotta learn to look after the rod, it's a nice rod but it could break if you handled it wrong. Don't bend too much or get knocked around.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Re: New rod for SP and squid

Post by wem21 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:29 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:59 pm
wem21 wrote:
Oh my gosh

the weight difference

Unlike cheap fibre glass rod, you gotta learn to look after the rod, it's a nice rod but it could break if you handled it wrong. Don't bend too much or get knocked around.
How do I handle it right? bend too much as in bending in storage or?

I'd die before going back to kmart rods lol

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:40 pm

wem21 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:29 pm
Seb85 wrote:
wem21 wrote:
Oh my gosh

the weight difference

The two main things to be aware of with graphite rods is that they can be bruised from hard knocks to the blank which can eventually lead to them breaking in that spot, so it is best to avoid having them knock around. The second thing is that while they are incredibly strong when you load up the entirety of the rod, they are prone to breakages if you put the pressure onto a small section of the blank. This is most likely to happen if you have a fish pulling down while you are trying to point the rod tip up, commonly called high sticking.

It's just something to be aware of and not really a huge deal imo
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

wem21

Post by wem21 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:49 pm

mazman wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:40 pm
wem21 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:29 pm
Seb85 wrote:
wem21 wrote:
Oh my gosh

the weight difference

The two main things to be aware of with graphite rods is that they can be bruised from hard knocks to the blank which can eventually lead to them breaking in that spot, so it is best to avoid having them knock around. The second thing is that while they are incredibly strong when you load up the entirety of the rod, they are prone to breakages if you put the pressure onto a small section of the blank. This is most likely to happen if you have a fish pulling down while you are trying to point the rod tip up, commonly called high sticking.

It's just something to be aware of and not really a huge deal imo
Alright, so just make sure that i dont lift the rod too high when fighting a fish, and stop it from knowcking around?
What angle should I keep the rod at when fighting fish?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:18 am

Don’t high stick, don’t deadlift fish onto the pier, don’t deadlift barbell plates to test the rods rating (this isn’t what the line rating refers to anyway), dont cast more weight than the rod is designed for, don’t slam the top in the car door, watch the tip doesn’t get caught in stuff when the carry the rod around, and don’t put too much pressure on the rod when hooking a lure onto a guide or lure storage loop . Just some of the ways I’ve had punters break graphite rods - you’ll notice that not treating it like a piece of timber dowel is the best way to avoid breaking it.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:37 am

Wem, I see a few rods break this way. Don't use the Rod bent back or loaded up to unsnag a lure or rig. If it doesn't unsnag easily, then hold the rod in-line with the line and pull or walk backwards. Let the reel take the load not the rod.

And wem, avoid the fastest way to ruin any rod: What ever you do, don't lend it to a friend :o_0:

Cheers, Bugatti

Oups, where are my manners.

Congratulations on the new Rod, glad it's got that "Oh my Gosh" factor :sr:
Last edited by Bugatti on Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:39 am

wem21 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:49 pm
Alright, so just make sure that i dont lift the rod too high when fighting a fish, and stop it from knowcking around?
What angle should I keep the rod at when fighting fish?
Anything that may cause bending too much, usually the tip.
I broke mine once coz the lure was on my pants, tried to remove it and bent the tip aaaand... Bye bye tip.
Attachments
youdoodle-2019-11-04T08-36-40Z.jpg
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

wem21

Post by wem21 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:27 am

Popped out for a quick fish this morning despite the wind to test the rod in something better than a pool, and I was amazed that I could feel what the lure had landed on (weeds rock sand) even with the windy conditions. It was very slow going, but I managed to catch a small flatty and a port Jackson shark

https://imgur.com/a/BvmKWFk

Also, would a 1/6th Oz jughead be too heavy? I just find that with 1/8 I can't cast very far, and if there's even a bit of wind I can't get anywhere near where I wanted it to go

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:09 am

wem21 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:27 am
Popped out for a quick fish this morning despite the wind to test the rod in something better than a pool, and I was amazed that I could feel what the lure had landed on (weeds rock sand) even with the windy conditions. It was very slow going, but I managed to catch a small flatty and a port Jackson shark

Also, would a 1/6th Oz jughead be too heavy? I just find that with 1/8 I can't cast very far, and if there's even a bit of wind I can't get anywhere near where I wanted it to go
Maybe the action and sink rate won't be as effective with the heavier jighead but it'll probably work a lot better than a lighter jighead that can't be cast into the zone
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Post by Aaron75 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:57 am

wem21 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:27 am

What kind of line are you using? I love my 8ft Catana but I could never cast 1/8th jigheads far enough until I loaded it with good quality 6lb braid. Makes a world of difference, I was shocked how far I could suddenly cast light lures. I use Fireline Ultra 8 carrier braid, which is rated 6lb but in reality breaks at around 10lb. The bright orange braid helps see little nibbles on the line too.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”