Reel Recommendations

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Re: Reel Recommendations

Post by wem21 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:39 am

purple5ive wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:14 am
people recommending a BG/eliminator or other variants of the same reel for lure work need to sit down now and drink some coffee and chill..

Yes it will work, just like mono will still catch fish on lures.
But yeah the reel is too heavy and not finesse enough for plastics work.
It's a gun reel.for baitfishing, surf fishing, game fishing and any heavy duty stuff. I have 3 off them for offshore work and they do a fantastic job for the price there...

Leave the lure fishing to reels that are light, smooth and have a smooth drag.
Lure fishing doesnt need massive amount of line capacity or drag capacity.
Since you Are constantly casting, a really lightweight reel is first choice followed by a smooth operation and a smooth drag.

I would look at reels in 2000/2500 for shimano like the stradics specifically the ci4 if you can afford it.

For daiwa the 2500/3000 in the new LT size or 2000/2500 in the old size is all you need.

What models you get is a personal choice
Daiwa have
Exceller LT
Caldia LT
Freams LT
Kix LT

Shimano I've never played around with much apart from the stradics and the ci4 is what I would pick out of all of them.

Once you use a properly setup combo you will realise how much fun lure fishing is...
And by that I mean a good graphite rod of 7 foot 2-4kg rod, good braided line with appropriate breaking strain (8lb) and a good reel with the braid spooled properly. And some 6 or 8lb leader.
Once you have your tools setup properly the work is always easier to do....
I used to fish plastics with a 6'6 glass rod and reel from Kmart with mono - didn't catch a thing, when I upgraded to a catana and the sienna with braid I started to really enjoy it, and catch fish as well. I'm just replacing the sienna because ever since it got dunked its gone on a downward spiral until it just feels grindy and clunky now

Which of the daiwas you listed do you think would go the best with a 7'2 2-4kg catana?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:59 am

wem21 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:39 am
purple5ive wrote:
people recommending a BG/eliminator or other variants of the same reel for lure work need to sit down now and drink some coffee and chill..

It's a gun reel.for baitfishing, surf fishing, game fishing and any heavy duty stuff. I have 3 off them for offshore work and they do a fantastic job for the price there...

Since you Are constantly casting, a really lightweight reel is first choice followed by a smooth operation and a smooth drag.

I would look at reels in 2000/2500 for shimano like the stradics specifically the ci4 if you can afford it.

For daiwa the 2500/3000 in the new LT size or 2000/2500 in the old size is all you need.

Daiwa have
Exceller LT
Caldia LT
Freams LT
Kix LT

Shimano I've never played around with much apart from the stradics and the ci4 is what I would pick out of all of them.

Once you use a properly setup combo you will realise how much fun lure fishing is...
And by that I mean a good graphite rod of 7 foot 2-4kg rod, good braided line with appropriate breaking strain (8lb) and a good reel with the braid spooled properly. And some 6 or 8lb leader.
I used to fish plastics with a 6'6 glass rod and reel from Kmart with mono - didn't catch a thing, when I upgraded to a catana and the sienna with braid I started to really enjoy it, and catch fish as well. I'm just replacing the sienna because ever since it got dunked its gone on a downward spiral until it just feels grindy and clunky now

Which of the daiwas you listed do you think would go the best with a 7'2 2-4kg catana?
did you wash the reel after it was dunked, look up immediate procedure for a dunked reel and do that next time its gone in the drink.
if you dont take precautionary care once its been submerged then any reel will become like you mentioned.

i have edited my previous response to include the Luvias ( wait for run out model sale) and TD black LT, so either of those 2 reels will be perfect, ofcourse depends if you want to blow the entire budget on the one reel, or use some to buy some new line etc etc..
if you want to go cheaper the Freams LT , Caldia LT or tierra LT (bit heavier but still a good reel)

or shimano stradic ci4 (wait for sale price, ive seen them for $200)

ive never bothered looking into the other major players like quantum, abu, pflueger etc so there might be something in there for you as well.

wem21

Post by wem21 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:04 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:59 am
wem21 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:

Daiwa have
Exceller LT
Caldia LT
Freams LT
Kix LT

did you wash the reel after it was dunked, look up immediate procedure for a dunked reel and do that next time its gone in the drink.
if you dont take precautionary care once its been submerged then any reel will become like you mentioned.

i have edited my previous response to include the Luvias ( wait for run out model sale) and TD black LT, so either of those 2 reels will be perfect, ofcourse depends if you want to blow the entire budget on the one reel, or use some to buy some new line etc etc..
if you want to go cheaper the Freams LT , Caldia LT or tierra LT (bit heavier but still a good reel)

or shimano stradic ci4 (wait for sale price, ive seen them for $200)

ive never bothered looking into the other major players like quantum, abu, pflueger etc so there might be something in there for you as well.
Yeah the Luvias and TD black are way out of my price range, looking to spend around 300$ including line. The stradic FL is on sale now for 270, you rekon it's worth it? Or should I wait for the ci4+ to go down further (at 300$ now)

How big is the difference between the ci4 and the freams?

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:13 pm

ci4 if you can get it for $200 then id go that over the freams LT,
if paying RRP then both are a great reel, all depends on personal choice..
stradic is def lighter, freams has more drag(useless in the bay tbh)
id have a play around with both and see which one you like personally and get that.

wem21

Post by wem21 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:30 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:13 pm
ci4 if you can get it for $200 then id go that over the freams LT,
if paying RRP then both are a great reel, all depends on personal choice..
stradic is def lighter, freams has more drag(useless in the bay tbh)
id have a play around with both and see which one you like personally and get that.
many thanks :)

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:59 pm

wem21 wrote:

If you're looking for a high-end reel be sure to take care of it, its a mistake that I unfortunately made too often and let of cash go down the drain
Get your hands on some inox, what I do is after every yak session is wash the reel then give it a few sprays of inox all over and in the nooks and crannys, then I wipe off with paper towel and give the reel a few cranks. I did this to one of my reels last night, woke up this morning and its buttery smooth now.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:32 pm

croe04 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:59 pm
wem21 wrote:

If you're looking for a high-end reel be sure to take care of it, its a mistake that I unfortunately made too often and let of cash go down the drain
Get your hands on some inox, what I do is after every yak session is wash the reel then give it a few sprays of inox all over and in the nooks and crannys, then I wipe off with paper towel and give the reel a few cranks. I did this to one of my reels last night, woke up this morning and its buttery smooth now.
use a microfibre cloth to wipe off the excess inox from the reel not a paper cloth, then use the microfibre cloth with the excess inox to wipe down the rod guides, blank and tip. this will keep salt from sticking to it in future and avoid corrosion etc :tu:

dont wipe the reel seat as it will become slippery

wem21

Post by wem21 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:39 pm

croe04 wrote:
wem21 wrote:

purple5ive wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:32 pm
croe04 wrote:
wem21 wrote:

use a microfibre cloth to wipe off the excess inox from the reel not a paper cloth, then use the microfibre cloth with the excess inox to wipe down the rod guides, blank and tip. this will keep salt from sticking to it in future and avoid corrosion etc :tu:

dont wipe the reel seat as it will become slippery
Where can i get my hands on inox mx5?

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:46 pm

most chain stores will have them
Bunnings, bcf, autobarn, supercheap etc all have them

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:18 pm

Upgrading the bearings and giving your Sienna a service wouldn't cost more than 20 bucks..

You'll feel a bigger difference upgrading your rod over a newer reel when it comes to lure fishing.

Cheers, Anth

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”