Reel Recommendations

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Re: Reel Recommendations

Post by Sebb » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:19 pm

wem21 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:07 pm
Hi guys,

I'm looking into upgrading from my sienna which has been in use for a bit more than 2 years and is starting to feel a bit scratchy and I'm looking into the stradics range. Just wondering what's the difference between the c14+, fk and the new FL model, and what about the nasci? And the legalis? I'm also open to any suggestions up to around 350$

Cheers
To answer this question, Ci4 is a light reel, so does Daiwa LT models. Good to match with light rods. Most of the 2500 and 2000 are less than 200 gm. Wont get tired easily casting all day long.

The FK or FL would balance Catana well. Ci4 probably a bit light for Catana.

I used to have 2500 FK and was like 235gm. Was okay but a tad too heavy for my 762 raider 2-4 kg. Changed to Cladia LT 2500 at 180gm, a lot better.

If i gotta choose, I'd rather off balance by having a reel that is 'too light' than 'too heavy'. For me anyway.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

WayneK

Post by WayneK » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:31 am

I have a few different types of reels in 2000-2500 size, including a few Stradics, a solitary Ci4 and a couple of Daiwa BG's. I love each and every one of these reels and service them, myself, with Yamalube grease (inside), Daiwa oil and Cal's reel drag grease. I wipe them down with Inox on a rag. Some of my older reels are 35 years old and feel as good, mechanically, as my newer reels. Anyway, what to buy? As much as I love the Stradics, I don't think you can currently beat the Daiwa BG reels for value. They're solid, dependable reels that can be easily serviced at home (no Mag-seal). Buy a BG and put the rest of your money towards some tackle or another rod - you will not regret it.

Cheers, Wayne

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:26 am

Also check out Daiwa eliminator
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Post by wem21 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:22 am

WayneK wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:31 am
I have a few different types of reels in 2000-2500 size, including a few Stradics, a solitary Ci4 and a couple of Daiwa BG's. I love each and every one of these reels and service them, myself, with Yamalube grease (inside), Daiwa oil and Cal's reel drag grease. I wipe them down with Inox on a rag. Some of my older reels are 35 years old and feel as good, mechanically, as my newer reels. Anyway, what to buy? As much as I love the Stradics, I don't think you can currently beat the Daiwa BG reels for value. They're solid, dependable reels that can be easily serviced at home (no Mag-seal). Buy a BG and put the rest of your money towards some tackle or another rod - you will not regret it.

Cheers, Wayne
How do the bg stack up against the stradics in terms of durability, castability and smoothness? Is it really worth the extra 100 buckaroos on the stradic?

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:52 pm

wem21 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:22 am
WayneK wrote:

Cheers, Wayne
How do the bg stack up against the stradics in terms of durability, castability and smoothness? Is it really worth the extra 100 buckaroos on the stradic?
mate goggle Alan Hawk reel reviews just remember the bg reel sizing are a bit different

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:48 pm

wem21 wrote:
WayneK wrote:

Cheers, Wayne
They're completely different reels, personally I wouldn't want a bg for a light plastics outfit one of the LT reels would be much more suited.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Post by wem21 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:50 am

mazman wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:48 pm
wem21 wrote:
WayneK wrote:

Cheers, Wayne
They're completely different reels, personally I wouldn't want a bg for a light plastics outfit one of the LT reels would be much more suited.
What's the reasoning behind this?

Which LT would you recommend having a look at, being in the price range of around 200$

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:25 am

BG is good but a bit heavy.
LT is nice and light, you can cast all day.

I'd go for Freams LT at $200.
It has magseal and the 2000 weighs only 190 gm.
I have one and wrote a quick review here. Absolute gem for the price. A good early mid range reel.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:14 am

people recommending a BG/eliminator or other variants of the same reel for lure work need to sit down now and drink some coffee and chill..

Yes it will work, just like mono will still catch fish on lures.
But yeah the reel is too heavy and not finesse enough for plastics work.
It's a gun reel.for baitfishing, surf fishing, game fishing and any heavy duty stuff. I have 3 off them for offshore work and they do a fantastic job for the price there...

Leave the lure fishing to reels that are light, smooth and have a smooth drag.
Lure fishing doesnt need massive amount of line capacity or drag capacity.
Since you Are constantly casting, a really lightweight reel is first choice followed by a smooth operation and a smooth drag.

I would look at reels in 2000/2500 for shimano like the stradics specifically the ci4 if you can afford it.

For daiwa the 2500/3000 in the new LT size or 2000/2500 in the old size is all you need.

What models you get is a personal choice
Daiwa have
Exceller LT
Caldia LT
TD Black LT
Freams LT
Kix LT
Plus many others

Shimano I've never played around with much apart from the stradics and the ci4 is what I would pick out of all of them.

Once you use a properly setup combo you will realise how much fun lure fishing is...
And by that I mean a good graphite rod of 7 foot 2-4kg rod, good braided line with appropriate breaking strain (8lb) and a good reel with the braid spooled properly. And some 6 or 8lb leader.
Once you have your tools setup properly the work is always easier to do....

edit...
if you can wait , i recon the current luvias will go on sale very soon, as the New LT model will be released next month.
they are a fantastic reel and will be perfect for your needs.
another one to look for is the TD black LT.
Last edited by purple5ive on Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:51 am

Steve is bang on the money.
The bg is a super robust reel but that comes at a price for some reels its the cost, take a certate for example, and for the bgs its the weight. The 2000 size bg weighs 240g personally I would be looking for a reel somewhere in the 190-230 g range and in a 2500 size to match up with a 2-4 which from daiwa leaves you with the lt series or some of the older equivalents.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”