Daiwa 20 Arid-X vs Ugly Stick Gold II vs Silstar Powertip

Godzilla
Has liked: 4 times

Daiwa 20 Arid-X vs Ugly Stick Gold II vs Silstar Powertip

Post by Godzilla » Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:26 pm

G'day everyone, to cut a long story short, I broke my sienna light combo rod by accident (stupid me not even fighting a big fish). Now I am left with a sienna reel FG2500. I want to pair it with a 2-5kg, 7' rod (basically the exact same size of my original rod) without breaking the bank. There is definitely still a lot for me to learn in this space but i try to pick a rod to pair with my reel as best as i could, so here are the 3 candidates:

- Daiwa 20 Aird-X Spinning Rod 7ft 2-4kg
- Ugly Stik Gold II Spinning Rod 7ft 2 - 4kg 2 Piece
- Silstar PowerTip Spinning Rod 7ft 2-4kg (2 Piece)

Which one would u guys recommend more? Any comments or suggestions are appreciated, cheers :tu:

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Re: Daiwa 20 Arid-X vs Ugly Stick Gold II vs Silstar Powertip

Post by Andrews » Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:42 pm

I can definitely vouch the Daiwa Aird-X 2-4kg, 7'2 - I picked up this rod for my partner as a universal rod for when we're chasing calamari, salmon, trevally, etc.

The rod is quite light, has the great Daiwa reel seats and works beautifully when using plastics, micro-jigs, jigs, etc. Can definitely recommend for the price.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:38 pm

I believe the ugly stick and the silstar are glass rods. They're bulky and heavy, but also hard to break.
The Aird is a graphite rod I believe. Lighter, faster action, but can break easily if you are not careful.

For bait fishing, probably won't matter. But for flicking lures, the Aird is better.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Godzilla

Post by Godzilla » Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:05 pm

Yea that's very true, i just want to have a kind of universal rod for a beginner like me to learn fishing with. In that case i suppose going with a graphite rod is a more sensible choice (i would do some soft plastic sometimes). I think the previous shimano viper rod is also a graphite rod so i guess the daiwa arid can replace it pretty well?

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:33 am

Godzilla wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:05 pm
Yea that's very true, i just want to have a kind of universal rod for a beginner like me to learn fishing with. In that case i suppose going with a graphite rod is a more sensible choice (i would do some soft plastic sometimes). I think the previous shimano viper rod is also a graphite rod so i guess the daiwa arid can replace it pretty well?
Yeah I'd say go for the Aird.
Much more enjoyable fighting the fish on a graphite rod as you can feel more.

Just be careful with it. Don't let it get knocked around in the car, or drop to the ground too hard, don't bend it too much, especially the tip to mid (don't high stick / upside down "U" shape).
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:36 pm

Had at blast using that 2-4kg 7'2 Aird rod this-morning, landed 20 bay trout flicking plastics from 2.5" grubs to ul 2.0" 1/16 1o.
Worked like a charm
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Godzilla

Post by Godzilla » Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:52 pm

Was being indecisive and going between the ugly stick and daiwa, thinking about whether i need durability or lightness. Eventually took your advice and got the Aird yesterday, haven't got a chance to use it yet but have to say i am very happy with the purchase. Extremely stiff and super light, looking forward to putting it to good use soon. :-D

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:08 pm

Keen to see what you land first on it mate!

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”