Surf/Jetty spinning setup advice

benjaminb
Has liked: 20 times

Surf/Jetty spinning setup advice

Post by benjaminb » Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:08 pm

G'day everyone,

I went surf fishing for the first time the other day and had an absolute ball. I was using my current 7ft 2-4kg Shimano Symetre setup and managed to catch a fair few. I was however limited in my casting distance, only able to get about 10-15 metres out or so.

This brings me to my question. I'm looking to purchase a new setup that I can use for surf and jetty fishing so that I can get a bit more casting distance. I'm not a fan of the heavy 12ft surf rods (yet at least) and have been thinking of getting a 9ft rod.

My main target species will be salmon, flathead and whiting. It'd also be great if I could use it for some gummy shark fishing too. From what I've read, it seems like a 9-10ft 4-9kg rod and 4000 size reel will get the job done. I have no idea if this is right though.

I'd mainly be using the rod for bait fishing off the beach but would ideally like to be able to use plastics and metals too.

I've read that the Penn Prevail II is great but I'm also considering these:

Shimano Maikuro II Spinning Rod 9ft 6-8kg

Shimano Catana Shore 9' 2pc 6-8kg Spin Rod

For reels, I've read that Shimano Nasci's are good but I'm open to other suggestions. I've used Sienna's in the past and have been happy with them too. What benefits would I be getting from spending the extra $100?

My budget is around $200-300 for a rod and reel. I'm a complete newbie in this department so please feel free to give me any other suggestions that you might have.

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Re: Surf/Jetty spinning setup advice

Post by Andrews » Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:09 pm

I think you're spot on with your experience about seeing the advantage of a slightly longer rod ~9ft to punch out some plastics, metals, or just just generally when you're bait fishing.

You'd ideally want some light, comfortable in the hand if you're flicking plastics, metals, etc that is sensitive enough to feel bites but also manageable enough to not completely kill your arm after a good session. There have been a few great posts recent looking for exactly this, a longer 9ft rod for plastics, metals, but also soft bait snapper, etc land-based.

Linked a few below:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=26752

I had this exact thought last year and ended up going with the Daiwa Seabass 9'6ft 4-8kg, rated 7-35g. $149
viewtopic.php?f=160&t=26236&p=347961&hi ... ss#p347961
https://daiwafishing.com.au/products/seabass

It's a 9'6 rod, more tailored towards surf spin / jigging style actions, but is made for plastics, metals, etc.
Caught plenty of salmon from the surf, piers, etc and also pansize snapper from piers using soft baits (squid) all throughout the year.
I think my best advice is that the thing that'll make the biggest difference is the rod itself, having someone comfortable and light vs heavy and stiff is a deal breaker!
Attachments
IMG_1971.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Sneaky1
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Sneaky1 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:28 pm

Hey Ben,

I'm also new to surf lure fishing.

My only observation so far - the balance point is much higher - above rod's upper grip... Unlike the typical near spool/reel foot, meaning the rod butt needs to be up against your elbow (or armpit?) as you're working the lure - in a way counter balancing it, or so I think.

Sneaky1
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Sneaky1 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:52 pm

Case in point - see how Alex handles the rod, the butt is almost always under his armpit: https://youtu.be/ll9mSXoxAuQ
I'd think this wouldn't be too comfortable with lures? On the yak, I have ~6'6" rods and use wrist to work the lures...
Maybe I just don't get it :oo:

Hatetangles
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Hatetangles » Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:50 pm

Hey Ben,

I think you will need a separate set up for Jetty fishing & a separate set up for surf fishing.
For Surf Fishing go a 12 Ft, prevails are good , and i would recommend a minimum sized 5000 reel, If a NASCI is in your budget great, if a shimano Ultegra 5500 is even better.Longer / heavier rod will get you further casting distance as you will be able to cast out heavier sinkers/lures.
must use braid also especially land based which will help you cast further ,i'd suggest 20lb or maybe 30lb, ive caught big gummies on 20lb.

For Jetty fishing i use the same set up LOL , but may not be suitable for the jetty you are fishing?. I have a 10ft shimano raider 4-7kg i think it is? with a 4000 reel and i barley use it on jetties / piers simply because it struggles to cast a size 3-4 sinker, i'm sure it will be ok for lures but i havent really tried.

anyway , i hope that helps !!

benjaminb

Post by benjaminb » Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:19 pm

Andrews wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:09 pm
I think you're spot on with your experience about seeing the advantage of a slightly longer rod ~9ft to punch out some plastics, metals, or just just generally when you're bait fishing.

You'd ideally want some light, comfortable in the hand if you're flicking plastics, metals, etc that is sensitive enough to feel bites but also manageable enough to not completely kill your arm after a good session. There have been a few great posts recent looking for exactly this, a longer 9ft rod for plastics, metals, but also soft bait snapper, etc land-based.

Linked a few below:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=26752

I had this exact thought last year and ended up going with the Daiwa Seabass 9'6ft 4-8kg, rated 7-35g. $149
viewtopic.php?f=160&t=26236&p=347961&hi ... ss#p347961
https://daiwafishing.com.au/products/seabass

It's a 9'6 rod, more tailored towards surf spin / jigging style actions, but is made for plastics, metals, etc.
Caught plenty of salmon from the surf, piers, etc and also pansize snapper from piers using soft baits (squid) all throughout the year.
I think my best advice is that the thing that'll make the biggest difference is the rod itself, having someone comfortable and light vs heavy and stiff is a deal breaker!
Thanks for the links and advice Andrew! Looks like you've got a ripper setup there with some solid catches to back it up.

It's also good to hear you've tested it out all over Barwon Heads, I'm planning on doing some trips down there - Daiwa Seabass is definitely on the cards!

benjaminb

Post by benjaminb » Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:32 pm

Hatetangles wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:50 pm
Hey Ben,

I think you will need a separate set up for Jetty fishing & a separate set up for surf fishing.
For Surf Fishing go a 12 Ft, prevails are good , and i would recommend a minimum sized 5000 reel, If a NASCI is in your budget great, if a shimano Ultegra 5500 is even better.Longer / heavier rod will get you further casting distance as you will be able to cast out heavier sinkers/lures.
must use braid also especially land based which will help you cast further ,i'd suggest 20lb or maybe 30lb, ive caught big gummies on 20lb.

For Jetty fishing i use the same set up LOL , but may not be suitable for the jetty you are fishing?. I have a 10ft shimano raider 4-7kg i think it is? with a 4000 reel and i barley use it on jetties / piers simply because it struggles to cast a size 3-4 sinker, i'm sure it will be ok for lures but i havent really tried.

anyway , i hope that helps !!
Hahaha that's crazy, I don't think I'll be able to rock a 12ft at the jetties I frequent. Thanks for the input!

I think I agree with you on needing a seperate setup. I'm still not too sure about a 12 ft rod though. I'm a bit concerned about having something that isn't pleasant to use all day long. I stumbled across this Facebook post by Starlo where he suggests a lighter 10"6' rod paired with any 3000 size reel.

Buried in the comments he said the model he used is now sold under the Shimano Maikuro II line

I think I'd pair this with some 15lb J-Braid and a 3000 Nasci. Would this be able to handle gummies? I think I might even ditch the gummy dreams if this is a pleasant enough setup for light surf (and maybe even jetties!).

benjaminb

Post by benjaminb » Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:39 pm

Sneaky1 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:52 pm
Case in point - see how Alex handles the rod, the butt is almost always under his armpit: https://youtu.be/ll9mSXoxAuQ
I'd think this wouldn't be too comfortable with lures? On the yak, I have ~6'6" rods and use wrist to work the lures...
Maybe I just don't get it :oo:
Yeah, no I'm with you there. I don't think that would be too pleasant with lures. I use my wrist to work the lures too with my smaller setup, I think I'm going to get a dedicated surf setup and then a bit more of an all rounder.

As Andrew recommended above, the Daiwa Seabass 9'6ft 4-8kg looks good for all rounding. I think I'll purchase this after a surf setup so that I can have it for using plastics on jettys, surf and even drowning baits on the side.

I'm not sure if you're in the market but this might interest you from Starlo. He recommends a light surf rod around the 10'6" range paired with any 3000 sized reel.

The post was from a few years ago but he replied to someone saying that the rod has been replaced by the Maikuro II line. I'm looking at this at the moment:
https://www.bcf.com.au/p/shimano-maikur ... 00797.html
https://www.bcf.com.au/p/shimano-nasci- ... 18939.html
https://www.bcf.com.au/p/daiwa-j-braid- ... 63616.html (might go to 10lb)

edit: typo

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:36 pm

You've made a good point about the balance point on these longer rods and the butt section being longer to balance the rod.

In regards to the length of the butt for the 9'6 Daiwa Seabass, the butt is actually a nice length at about forearm length. Whenever I'm working plastics or jigging the rod I'm using my forearm for the action as you would when shore jigging, etc. The butt is up against my forearm and never tucked under the arm pit. I run a 2500lt reel with it and it's light and mean.

I reckon Alex is doing so because it's more comfortable when feeling for soft bait bites.

Heres a video of me fighting salmon on it
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cg3qISrJWqZ/

I reckon any of these options would be pretty killer at salmon & bait.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”