Shimano catana 732 snapper sp?

fyah_fish

Shimano catana 732 snapper sp?

Post by fyah_fish » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:50 pm

Hey all... Was looking at picking up the catana tommorow for flicking plastics around with. Tackle world has the catana 732 matched with a sienna 4000 with 15lb braid and some sp for under $100.... Thought it would be a nice little budget combo. Now I know how they go with plastics as iv used one before but just wondering how this combo would go if I decided to chuck some bait on there with a sinker a through it out? Anyone with experiance with this rod? Action, strength, casting distance? Or should this rod just be used for plastics.... Just a thought

Rogue_Hunter

Re: Shimano catana 732 snapper sp?

Post by Rogue_Hunter » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:51 pm

If its good enough for plastics, its going to be good enough for drowning bait.

what weight is the rod .. 2-4kg .. 3-5kg ... 3-6kg ..4-6kg.

fyah_fish

Post by fyah_fish » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:55 pm

Rogue_Hunter wrote:If its good enough for plastics, its going to be good enough for drowning bait.

what weight is the rod .. 2-4kg .. 3-5kg ... 3-6kg ..4-6kg.

pretty sure it was 6-8kg

Rogue_Hunter

Post by Rogue_Hunter » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:59 pm

6-8kg?!

What are you flicking around, real plastic moulds of fish?!

If you want to flick around plastic, your going to need a lighter rod ... something in the 2-4kg, 3-5kg range.

Generally the lighter the rod, the better the flicking action. The heavier the rod, the stiffer the rod will be.

fyah_fish

Post by fyah_fish » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:09 pm

isnt a stiffer rod what i want for plastics?? i thought that with a stiffer rod you have more control over the action of the plastic...... its 7ft3.... 6-8kg recommended lure weight of 10-28grams...... am i wrong in my thinking hahaha?

FishSamFish

Post by FishSamFish » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:17 pm

Rogue_Hunter wrote:6-8kg?!

If you want to flick around plastic, your going to need a lighter rod ... something in the 2-4kg, 3-5kg range.

Generally the lighter the rod, the better the flicking action. The heavier the rod, the stiffer the rod will be.

not quiet true, I have a 6-12kg plastics rod, it's graphite so its really light, its a v.fast action, it's fine for casting 1/16oz heads

Rogue_Hunter

Post by Rogue_Hunter » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:22 pm

FishSamFish wrote:

not quiet true, I have a 6-12kg plastics rod, it's graphite so its really light, its a v.fast action, it's fine for casting 1/16oz heads
I dont doubt that there are some rods out there in that weight class that you can use; it all depends on the material

Was your combo under $100?

Rogue_Hunter

Post by Rogue_Hunter » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:24 pm

fyah_fish wrote:isnt a stiffer rod what i want for plastics?? i thought that with a stiffer rod you have more control over the action of the plastic...... its 7ft3.... 6-8kg recommended lure weight of 10-28grams...... am i wrong in my thinking hahaha?
10-28grams is more geared towards metal lures; spinning for salmon etc.

The jigg heads im reffering to is about 1.5grams.

FishSamFish

Post by FishSamFish » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:29 pm

Rogue_Hunter wrote:
FishSamFish wrote:

I dont doubt that there are some rods out there in that weight class that you can use; it all depends on the material

my combo was eh $500

any 6-12kg rod with a v.fast action n taper will cast fine
Last edited by FishSamFish on Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rogue_Hunter

Post by Rogue_Hunter » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:35 pm

FishSamFish wrote:
Rogue_Hunter wrote:
FishSamFish wrote:

my combo was eh $500
:thumbsup:

Had a feeling. A sub $100 combo 6-8kg rod might not be geared towards high action.

To the op, I would goto the store and handle both the 6-8kg and a 2-4kg rod and see which feels like you can flick a light jigg head for a couple hours.

Good Luck

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”