Garage find!

jessos1

Garage find!

Post by jessos1 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:21 pm

So years ago after my grandpa passed away my dad inherited all his old (and i mean old) fishing gear.

I found an old rod and reel and decided to take it out for a test and boy is it noisy click click click click click still managed to foul hook a tiny whiting with it and some trevally, my friends called it the tractor! I opened it up and i couldnt believe it had grease in it. my dad told me it was probably my uncles from when he was younger so its probably up to 40 years old, and the line on it is probably just as old haha. I seen an old post with an almost identical reel but a bit bigger when i google searched it.

Any info on it? like how old and thats sort of stuff, it has an old jarvis walker rod with it in okay nick for how old they are!

there are plenty more ancient rods and reels in our garage but they're all busted! Ill get around to posting them if yous find this interesting?
Attachments
IMG_5132.JPG
IMG_5133.JPG
PB's (most are estimates no brag mat) Carp 40cm, Redfin 35cm, Silver Trevally 27cm, Eel 1m+, Mullet 25cm, Sand whiting 20cm.
Wish list: Rainbow and Brown Trout, Bigger Redfin, Gummy Shark, Estuary Perch and Snapper

rixter

Re: Garage find!

Post by rixter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:04 am

Semi old , I have a Ryobi reel around another 15 years older than that, Although semi old , they are worth nothing.
Still good to rip apart and see how the old reels worked , not much has changed over the years.
That looks like a mid 80's to early 90's reel , with the graphite spool , I think I actually had one of them also at one stage.
It looks exactly (but yours a size smaller maybe) like the reel I got on a Jarvis Walker Surf combo back in the mid 80's, although I think mine was the LXO4N.

Cheers , Rick.
Last edited by rixter on Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

Kev209

Post by Kev209 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:04 am

If you give Jarvis Walker service department a ring they may be able to give you some info they imported some Ryobi reels. They helped me out with info on an early reel I was given. Put some more photos up I like looking at the old the gear as I have a small collection myself :cheers:

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:51 am

Wow that reel brings back memories - I had one just like it as a teenager.
It has gone now - over used :)
But it was a reasonable reel while it worked.

jessos1

Post by jessos1 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:37 pm

Haha well i guess I'll have to get into the garage and rip out all the old stuff. I might go and have a quick look now
PB's (most are estimates no brag mat) Carp 40cm, Redfin 35cm, Silver Trevally 27cm, Eel 1m+, Mullet 25cm, Sand whiting 20cm.
Wish list: Rainbow and Brown Trout, Bigger Redfin, Gummy Shark, Estuary Perch and Snapper

jessos1

Post by jessos1 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:01 pm

Just had a dig and found two similar but larger reels from the one i posted!

Sorry about how dirty they are they've been living in a shed for probably 10 years.

Part 1.
Attachments
IMG_5376.JPG
IMG_5375.JPG
IMG_5374.JPG
IMG_5373.JPG
IMG_5372.JPG
IMG_5371.JPG
IMG_5370.JPG
IMG_5369.JPG
IMG_5368.JPG
IMG_5367.JPG

jessos1

Post by jessos1 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:08 pm

Part 2.

The looney tunes reel was on my first ever rod I think I even have the rod with it. Oh the memories getting car sick on the way up to echuca when i was about 5 and being in our little cabin and sticking a hook into my dads knee because i was getting impatient! and begging dad to take me fishing every day after that haha!
Attachments
IMG_5380.JPG
IMG_5379.JPG
My first reel
IMG_5378.JPG
IMG_5377.JPG

jessos1

Post by jessos1 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:11 pm

Kev209 wrote: Put some more photos up I like looking at the old the gear as I have a small collection myself :cheers:
Here is the collection of reels we might have more lying about and I'll upload the rods later got a fair few of them.

Kev209

Post by Kev209 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:25 pm

Top photos, love the oldies keep Em coming :good:

jessos1

Post by jessos1 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:48 pm

One thing I'm actually suprised about is none of the rods are snapped or anything, my mates snap their rods and break eyes all the time.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”