Is baitrunner/Live Liner/Baitfeeder an advantage?

Enver

Re: Is baitrunner/Live Liner/Baitfeeder an advantage?

Post by Enver » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:10 pm

mheloy wrote:
Enver wrote:I've used okuma linefeeders, penn live liners and Shimano baitrunners all my life. 98% of my reels lasted me over 10 years, yes they are little over priced but they have advantage of free spooling without spooking the fish which is priceless in my opinion. I prefer baitrunners/live liners because the type of fishing I do. I like being able to set my fighting drag and been able to freespool at the same time. If you target kingfish, snapper, mulloway, bream then yes buy a bait runner other wise any spin reel will do the job.
I plan to buy Penn 560LL paired with 10' or 12' rod.
560LL sometimes be paired with my 8' rod on some occasions
I've got 2 560LL and 2 760LL old school reels, they are great reels, they are built to take punishment!! I would recommend them highly, just make sure to wash them with warm soapy water and store them properly. They will last you years and they are more then capable to stop any decent fish you'll encounter with.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:59 pm

Enver wrote:
mheloy wrote:
Enver wrote:I've used okuma linefeeders, penn live liners and Shimano baitrunners all my life. 98% of my reels lasted me over 10 years, yes they are little over priced but they have advantage of free spooling without spooking the fish which is priceless in my opinion. I prefer baitrunners/live liners because the type of fishing I do. I like being able to set my fighting drag and been able to freespool at the same time. If you target kingfish, snapper, mulloway, bream then yes buy a bait runner other wise any spin reel will do the job.
I plan to buy Penn 560LL paired with 10' or 12' rod.
560LL sometimes be paired with my 8' rod on some occasions
I've got 2 560LL and 2 760LL old school reels, they are great reels, they are built to take punishment!! I would recommend them highly, just make sure to wash them with warm soapy water and store them properly. They will last you years and they are more then capable to stop any decent fish you'll encounter with.
Two thumbs up for the 560 live liners ! :a_goodjob:

I have three and if it wasn't for the bait runner feature they would have been pulled into the drink many times over on my land based snapper trips !

( I day dream a lot not watching my rods ! )

oh ! full metal bodies you will never kill them !
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

mheloy

Post by mheloy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:32 am

560LL then... thanks guys for the input
Species Caught : 0

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:43 pm

I've found it's an advantage to have the baitrunner/liveliner function, for peace of mind that your rod won't go flying into the drink. But if you're using circle hooks you need to have good tension for a proper hookset. I generally use 1 or 2x baitrunners and 1 spin reel when fishing. The spin reel takes on metal lure duties if the salmon show up.

Baitrunners have more complex gearing and are a bit more fiddly to service, so look after them and stick with the reputable models.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”