Ridiculous price of fish hooks

TackleNut

Re: Ridiculous price of fish hooks

Post by TackleNut » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:02 pm

Hi All,

I could say you get what you pay for,
but in my time I know better than that.
BUt there are plenty of fisho's out there and probably here that would only use Owner or Gamma hooks.
Too much brain washing by tv fishing shows, those tv guys have a lot to answer for.

Just take Owner Hooks and Tackle World.
While Tackleworld had the Australia importation & distribution rights they flogged Owner Hooks to death in nearly every TV show of iFish for many seasons. Every fish had to be caught on an Owner Hook, and if you were using lures you had to change their hooks over to Owners even though the lures were using proven brand name hooks

And then they lost the distribution rights to Pure Fishing Australia, and then were sponsored by Eagle Claw for awhile, guess what happened ?
You didn't hear or see another Owner Hook again on their shows.

That's just one show and one hook, another were using Gamma hooks exclusivly leading to more brain washing.
In fact I used to have 2 buyers that would change hooks after every bite or caught fish. I was one happy seller to those guys.

Mustad, VMC, Eagle Claw and Black Magic make great hooks at a much better price.

cheers
TN

rixter

Post by rixter » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:23 am

TackleNut wrote:Hi All,

BUt there are plenty of fisho's out there and probably here that would only use Owner or Gamma hooks.
Too much brain washing by tv fishing shows, those tv guys have a lot to answer for.

Just take Owner Hooks and Tackle World.
While Tackleworld had the Australia importation & distribution rights they flogged Owner Hooks to death in nearly every TV show of iFish for many seasons. Every fish had to be caught on an Owner Hook, and if you were using lures you had to change their hooks over to Owners even though the lures were using proven brand name hooks

And then they lost the distribution rights to Pure Fishing Australia, and then were sponsored by Eagle Claw for awhile, guess what happened ?
You didn't hear or see another Owner Hook again on their shows.

That's just one show and one hook, another were using Gamma hooks exclusivly leading to more brain washing.
In fact I used to have 2 buyers that would change hooks after every bite or caught fish. I was one happy seller to those guys.

Mustad, VMC, Eagle Claw and Black Magic make great hooks at a much better price.

cheers
TN
Good post :thumbsup:

Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:07 am

cheers
TN

I totally agree with you TackleNut, we must be about the same age, like minded .. :thumbsup:
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:45 am

hornet wrote:

cheers
TN

I totally agree with you TackleNut, we must be about the same age, like minded .. :thumbsup:
Spot on guys, I too totally agree with you all on this matter.
I'm like Rick and still have boxes of 100 Mustard hooks in various sizes home, they've always been a great hook and have lasted for ages. Rarely lost a fish on them too.
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:35 am

cheers
TN
Forget Black magic, they are use once and then rust away.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:05 pm

meppstas wrote:
hornet wrote:

cheers
TN

Spot on guys, I too totally agree with you all on this matter.
I'm like Rick and still have boxes of 100 Mustard hooks in various sizes home, they've always been a great hook and have lasted for ages. Rarely lost a fish on them too.
cheers
Adrian
Mustard have a huge range some are very cheap and poor quality whilst others are very good and cost a fair bit more. Still considerably cheaper than some of the other brands mentioned.

Used many Eagle Claw hooks over the years they used to be sold at Kmart, IMO eagle claw are sharper than mustard but both more than good enough.

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:13 pm

I tried to cheap out and bought a bunch of Jarvis walker hooks from K-mart, let's just say after a few bent/straightened hooks and lost fish I'd rather pay a little bit more and generally stick to black magic, owner, gamma or mustad.

Tonyzee

Post by Tonyzee » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:44 pm

Mustad all the way, especially if you can find the older hook boxes even the cardboard ones from way back.

They were all made in Norway, now some are made in China and they not so good, so just check where they are made.

My weapon of choice atm for Bream, Whiting, Pinkies, Trevally, Salmon even the odd Mulloway is the

Mustad 3399N, In the gold anodised version, works a treat and not one broken hook yet.

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:58 pm

Switched to the eagle claws (courtesy of Nick) and have never looked back, absolutely ripping hooks!
Cam
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”