cost of sinkers?

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: cost of sinkers?

Post by Fish-cador » Sat May 28, 2016 11:34 pm

ducky wrote:Cheers mate.

He is collecting old lead flashing for me.
If you haven't bought your mould, avoid the ones that require swivels. Pain in the ass to load the swivel.

Some flashing sheets have tar-like coating. It will smoke like hell and it stinks. Use a spoon to stir the molten lead and scoop out everything that floats before the neighbors choke.

I use lead flashing too. I snip it, fold it a few times, flatten it to fit the pot. I prepare enough folded and flattened sheets for the amount of sinkers I will make. I load when the level of the level of molten lead goes down as I make sinkers. It takes less than 10 seconds to fill a 4 oz mould. Use double cavity mould and you will have more than 100 sinkers in 1 hour.

Good luck.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun May 29, 2016 5:38 am

Ah, yeah my moulds all have the barrel swivels. Ah well. Will give it a go. I prefer the barrel swivels anyway. Doesn't worry me if its a bit of a pita to load the swivels seeing as I probably only need 20 of each size to last the next year or so without any concerns.

Yeah the flashings are pretty dirty with the odd bit of old paint etc. No tar I don't think. I imagine they will smoke a bit. I was considering grabbing a cheap pot from salvos getting some pavers to support it and using a butane gas stove to do as much as possible in one hit and make up ingots to use in the lee pot whenever needed.

This idea has some merit but also involves a bit of double handling that's why I'm undecided as was going to wait to see how difficult it is to do the cleaning in the Lee pot without gumming it up with crap

Misheen

Post by Misheen » Sun May 29, 2016 8:20 am

All the crap that floats to the top is the dross, get a bottom pour pot that way all you get is clean lead

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”