What knot?

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: What knot?

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:37 am

MIKER wrote:Shoe lace knot is best . "lol"
sometimes I solder, weld or use shackles too :roflmao:
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

hangsta*

Post by hangsta* » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:09 pm

psara1 wrote:
hangsta* wrote:wern,t you paying attention when yo 'friend' tied that knot for you......:wall:..... :crazy:
no i didnt. because the pom tied it when i wasnt looking, but when the other 'friend' tied the knot i was paying attention. now go have another frothy :Bar:
so you know how to tie the knot the other fiend showed you, thats good :cheers:

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:12 pm

I use the improved alright.....haven't had an issue with it going through the guides...

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Post by raco09 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:01 am

Bartnmax wrote:Ok, bit more info there - knots running through the guides.
If that's the case then I'll recind my recomendation of the 5 turn surgeons knot, coz it is a touch bulky & whilst it will go through guides it will eventually get rubbed a fair bit & eventually fail. Genrally it's an excellent knot but not the best for flowing through guides.

If that's the case then the two I'd recommend are the Slim Beauty & the Kaneit.
These knots are basicaly very similar with a figure 8 tied in the mono leader, but where the slim beauty uses a 1/2 blood knot formation for the braid to grasp the mono leader, the Kaneit uses a uni knot formation, which I prefer as I believe it's a bit stronger. Either of these knots will flow well through guides & have excellent holding strength, but they can take some practice to tie well.

The albright & improved albraight is NOT a good knot where flowing through guides is a consideration IMO.
It can be prone to loosening with subsequent failure with all the bashing of knot against guide & it doesn't have the inherent strength of the SB & Kaneit to start with.

Bill.
Thanks for the advice Bill. I'll try the knots u also recommend as I hate hearing the clunking noise of a knot running through the guides. :D
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:07 am

poodoo wrote:I use the improved alright.....haven't had an issue with it going through the guides...
And you probably wont - till it eventually fails.
The albright & improved albright do flow through guides ok but whilst those knots are ok they also aren't the strongest joins either. They are also prone to failure with reletively low amounts of abrasion.
The albright was originally designed as a knot for fly fishermen whom required a good flowing knot through small guides. However, fly fishos alsoi ntend to be veryt pedantic about checking/retying their knotsl, so failure usually isn;t an issue for them. However, when used in salytwater situations where knots tend to be checked far ;less often, they can fail fairly quickly.

Another very good knot is the FG knot, but that definitely does take some practice.

Bill.

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:59 am

Bartnmax wrote:
poodoo wrote:I use the improved alright.....haven't had an issue with it going through the guides...
And you probably wont - till it eventually fails.
The albright & improved albright do flow through guides ok but whilst those knots are ok they also aren't the strongest joins either. They are also prone to failure with reletively low amounts of abrasion.
The albright was originally designed as a knot for fly fishermen whom required a good flowing knot through small guides. However, fly fishos alsoi ntend to be veryt pedantic about checking/retying their knotsl, so failure usually isn;t an issue for them. However, when used in salytwater situations where knots tend to be checked far ;less often, they can fail fairly quickly.

Another very good knot is the FG knot, but that definitely does take some practice.

Bill.
Probably like all good maintenance you need to check to see how the knot and line is after a fishing session, so if it looks a bit beaten up it makes sense to retie it. Wouldn't want to lose a big fish due to a dodgy knot.

raco09

Post by raco09 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:09 pm

hangsta* wrote:
psara1 wrote:
hangsta* wrote:wern,t you paying attention when yo 'friend' tied that knot for you......:wall:..... :crazy:
no i didnt. because the pom tied it when i wasnt looking, but when the other 'friend' tied the knot i was paying attention. now go have another frothy :Bar:
so you know how to tie the knot the other fiend showed you, thats good :cheers:
Of course i do. I always pay attention to what the other freind says :thumbsup: :thumbsup: as its abit hard to understand the pom. he dribbles on abit. lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

hangsta*

Post by hangsta* » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:22 pm

maybe you should try the grinner its well good wacko wonder when hell get the tub out :captain:

raco09

Post by raco09 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:26 pm

hangsta* wrote:maybe you should try the grinner its well good wacko wonder when hell get the tub out :captain:
When he finishes the leaf blower. there are some good fish to be caught at the moment.... wacko

hangsta*

Post by hangsta* » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:45 pm

psara1 wrote:
hangsta* wrote:maybe you should try the grinner its well good wacko wonder when hell get the tub out :captain:
When he finishes the leaf blower. there are some good fish to be caught at the moment.... wacko
hes gunna mount that leaf blower on the tub should go like the bejeezas :thumbsup:

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”