Recommendations for fluoro mainline.

TackleNut

Re: Recommendations for fluoro mainline.

Post by TackleNut » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:09 am

Rod Bender wrote:Hi
Was wondering if anyone can recommend a brand of fluorocarbon that can be used as mainline? Is it as simple as choosing a brand that has a 100 metre spool as opposed to some which just come in 20 metre spools? I want to try some light breaking strain fluoro in freshwater.
thanks
Jim
Hi Jim,
I have a couple of reels that I use to use ( it's been nearly forever since I have been fishing ) that have just Fluorcarbon spooled on them, mainly bream combo's.
There are 3 lines that I love to use when using fluoro straight through.
I strongly recomened the Spiderwire Ultracast 100% Fluorcarbon as a main line, I use 6lb straight through to the lure or hooks, casts extremly well without having to much memory, something that you will have to get used to more when you don't use braid. This line comes in 200yd lengths.
Also have used the newer Stren 100% Fluro ( thats the name, havent misspelled Fluoro) rather than the older Stren that I still have a few spools of, have found the upgrade that Stren made to it's Fluoro has made the line much more supple.
When the times get tough fishing in rivers I used Berkleys Trilene 100% Fluorcarbon with very good results, the line I use is supposed to have a green tint, yet for the life of me I can't see this tint. The line itself is a huge improvement over Berkleys Vanish fluoro main lines.
The main advantage of these lines is that they have overcome the light piping issue on bright days, were the light would travel down line making it light up slightly ( transmission of minute quantities of light down the line ) which was spooking some fish, the newer versions have eliminated this.
If your having trouble finding some main fluoro to use don't hesitate to contact me,
cheers
Nick

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”