Spiderwire braid.

Mikey87

Re: Spiderwire braid.

Post by Mikey87 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:01 am

Spiderwire's not bad - i've used it a bit in the past and have no complaints. Never used the Camo though.

If you're going through CA though have a look at the Frog PE Braid. Haven't tried it personally but I know they stock it and have heard nothing but good about it. Last time I was at CA Geelong the boys were telling me about it - next reel I spool up will be copping some.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:08 am

As far as I can tell Spiderwire comes from the same factory as Stern both micro fused and I couldn't tell a difference.

I have used one spool of spiderwire and quite a lot of Stern. Both when new were ok, it has a funny coating that comes off quickly and the braid becomes weak.

It is not quite as stiff as fireline but stiffer than non fused braids and very thin for the bull rating, the only issue I found was short life.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:05 pm

Spiderwire is from PureFishing, same makers of Berkley, Penn, Owner, Stren, etc.

Heavy spiderwire lines can swell when wet, as dougie said. Heavy lines must be loaded on the reel wet or you will suffer on your first 5 casts. Based on my own experience, I dont recommend it for over 20lb requirements. Light lines like 10-15 pounders are excellent as these lines are very thin and very soft. As with all other braid lines, there were teething problems when I first used it but I got over it. It is like a hemorrhoid - pain in the ass - to untangle.

I have used tuffline, fins, stren and ande and I hate them all. I only use spiderwire because I am used to it.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Larksy88

Post by Larksy88 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:55 pm

Mikey87 wrote:Spiderwire's not bad - i've used it a bit in the past and have no complaints. Never used the Camo though.

If you're going through CA though have a look at the Frog PE Braid. Haven't tried it personally but I know they stock it and have heard nothing but good about it. Last time I was at CA Geelong the boys were telling me about it - next reel I spool up will be copping some.
I have Frog 6lb on my 1k Stradic, great braid but not cheap

Corndiggly

Post by Corndiggly » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:37 am

I had camo spiderwire in 12lb on a couple of my reels and loved it, normally I use fire line and sunline super pe and find it falls somewhere between the 2. It's a lot softer than fire line but doesn't feel quite as well made as the sunline. I also bought the 8 strand spider wire on my latest reel in 20lb and it casts a lot better than the sunline in the same breaking strain on the same reel (2 spools) it's a bit more expensive though.
Time will tell if it lasts but I got 2 years out of the cheaper spiderwire with moderate use so shouldn't be an issue.

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”