Braid - Strands

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Braid - Strands

Post by yepi'mon » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:28 pm

I'm the kind of shopper that will just buy the best I can afford. When it comes to braid, that usually means 8 strand.

I know it's sold as super thin and super tough - but is it really only suitable for continuous casting setups?

I've been thinking that it's probably not necessary for bait fishing applications like my whiting gear. I've had a few break off's using the Shimano Kairiki for no apparent reason.

Possibly a 4 strand is less susceptible to line breaks due to there being less strands?

Thoughts?

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Re: Braid - Strands

Post by dazz999 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:47 pm

strange what lb breaking strain i use the Kairiki and 8 strand j braid no problems so the breaks are just random or at the knots ? the only braid that frustrates me is sunline casterway nothing bad but ten lb break,s at ten lb where as other braid.s break much higher than rated

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:53 pm

I thought the issue with 4 strand was that it would flatten out over time and look like a ribbon where 8 strand was less prone to that. 8 strand can be thick too though, it just depends on which brand you get. The Rovex D8 I use a lot of isn't especially thin but it hasn't broken on me and for trolling and bait fishing I don't really care about how far it casts.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:53 pm

The higher strand counts create a rounder profile line. The difference between 4v8v12v16 strand counts is more pronounced in thicker higher breaking strain lines where a 4 strand count can appear almost flat to the eye at certain angles of the braiding. Lines like fireline aren't actually a braid, but fused together out of the same fibres to create a rounder profile.

Like nylon monos that can have weaker than stated breaking strain, braids can be weaker than stamped due to anomalies with the manufacture of each individual fibre that makes each strand or the actual braiding process. It can be constrained to short areas of the line, or affect the whole batch.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:04 pm

Compare the 12lb tasline (which is actually 19.6lb) to 20lb powerpro. They are completely different things. You are probably correct in that you don't need super high quality braid to go whiting fishing, i'm always of the opinion that you should use the highest quality line you can afford. Unless you're slinging lures for hours there is probably no need for 8 weave or higher, but it makes the whole experience incredibly more comfortable.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”