tackle management

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

tackle management

Post by ben475 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:34 pm

i'm trying organise some of my tackle, all the different types of lures, hooks, sinkers etc etc etc…

does anyone have any tackle organisation tactics?

perhaps one small general purpose tackle box and a couple of empty clear plastic trays, to fill with whatever else is needed from a larger tackle bag that stays at home.
I'm trying to avoid taking way more than I need but also not leaving something behind that comes in handy.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: tackle management

Post by Sebb » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:05 pm

Mainly I have three boxes. One for saltwater lures, one for freshwater lures, and one is for bait fishing stuff like hooks and sinkers.
Then I have other boxes for specific fishing like squid jigs and spinnerbaits for cods/yella.
So i take the box i need for the trip.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:07 pm

ben475 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:34 pm
i'm trying organise some of my tackle, all the different types of lures, hooks, sinkers etc etc etc…

does anyone have any tackle organisation tactics?

perhaps one small general purpose tackle box and a couple of empty clear plastic trays, to fill with whatever else is needed from a larger tackle bag that stays at home.
I'm trying to avoid taking way more than I need but also not leaving something behind that comes in handy.
I pre-tie my rigs I intend using and put them into individual snap lock bags....always bring a few extra just in case.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:04 am

Do you boat fish for land based?

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:06 am

I have a 4 draw tackle box with a lid section with most of my stuff in it in the cabin but have about 20 rigs made up under my seat on rig holders etc for quick access.
O have a bucket of sinkers that sits near the seat that had about 4 of each size upto 6oz in it .

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:04 am

I use the Plano tackle bags and trays have them arranged into what I need for what I’m doing.
Squid jigs, Whiting tackle, Snapper/Gummies, Stickbaits, Jigs etc

Then I carry a rig bag with pre made rigs and sabiki jigs in a pouch and carry spare leaders in a black magic leader feeder.

Some days I carry a lot of gear on the boat others just a couple of boxes.

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:20 am

I have 3 small backpack that fits 3 small plano boxes no bigger than 30cm in length. 1 bag for squidding with all jigs and a roll of 6lb fluro carbon leader. 2nd bag for soft plastics with a roll of leader n few packets of various jigheads. 3rd bag for spinning hard bodies and metal slugs in the surf. I always leave in my car me a double sided tacklebox I bought from Bunnings, that has all my asorted hook size, various sinkers, various swivels, leaders etc... just in case I forget anything or on the day some other species decide to come to play. I normally just throw on my mini backpacks that's very lightweight and target that 1 particular species on the day taking only the tackle I need, i hate lugging around extra unnecessary deadweight that 90% of the time never gets used.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:07 am

I always make sure I have plenty of pre made rigs with me.

Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Post by Aaron75 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:06 am

I'm land based only, my system isn't really relevant to you if you're fishing from a boat. Boat fisho's systems aren't really relevant if you're land based either.

I have a small tackle box that goes with me everywhere containing pliers, scissors, a tape measure, spare leader and a pack of swivels.

Another small box which goes with my whiting rods containing a few pre-tied paternosters, a selection of hooks, a small selection of sinkers, some plastic beads and swivels and a couple of stick floats.

Another box which goes with my spinning rod containing a few different squid jigs, metal blades and vibes.

Another small box containing various soft plastics, jig heads and scent

When I decide what I am targeting I put the appropriate boxes in my backpack so I'm carrying the absolute minimum I need to carry. My backpack has side pockets which carry some rags, some plastic bags, rope and my wallet and car keys.

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Post by ben475 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:31 pm

thanks for all the reply's guys!

majority of the time i'm fishing from the boat, so I could take heaps of gear but i'd rather pack a bit lighter.
keeps the boat tidy, when I take the better half and my son out, they always bring heaps of stuff. or if I take mates out and they bring some gear its easy to end up with less room in the boat.

I have gone with 1 medium tackle box with assorted hooks, sinkers etc and a tackle bag that holds 4 medium tackle trays, which I will swap around with my stuff that stays at home when needed.

I really have a lot of stuff which makes it harder to organise, lots from when I was younger and tackle that was my dads.
Also fishing all different places for different fish rather than just concentrating mainly on one thing in particular.

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”