Popping for Browns

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Popping for Browns

Post by ducky » Sat May 28, 2016 2:04 pm

PDXSerric wrote:Well, I was encouraged to try the following setup for Newlyn, given that it is shallow and I am using 4lb test.

2 1/2" grass minnow paddletails with a 1/4 oz 1/0 jig.

Hopefully I'll have something to report after this weekend. :thumbsup:
Upgrade to 6-8lb and you won't have to babysit it as much on the cast plus you'll pull through weeds etc. 4lb is a bit suicideish.

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Sat May 28, 2016 4:19 pm

ducky wrote:
PDXSerric wrote:Well, I was encouraged to try the following setup for Newlyn, given that it is shallow and I am using 4lb test.

2 1/2" grass minnow paddletails with a 1/4 oz 1/0 jig.

Hopefully I'll have something to report after this weekend. :thumbsup:
Upgrade to 6-8lb and you won't have to babysit it as much on the cast plus you'll pull through weeds etc. 4lb is a bit suicideish.
Wow I agree 4lb is way too light I just don't get why you would go that light as you would lose a lot of tackle and not to mention fish as well.I suppose ducky some guys think its more sporting but as you said 6-8lb is perfect that's all I use with a 10-12lb leader.

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Sat May 28, 2016 5:21 pm

All my freshwater fishing is done with 4lb line and I have caught trout over 60cm on it, on my boat I use heavier line but even then I don't go over 15lb braid and 20lb leader for snapper. I think with braid you have a much better chance of landing a bigger fish on light line

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sat May 28, 2016 5:28 pm

fishpod wrote:.... I think with braid you have a much better chance of landing a bigger fish on light line
I believe the opposite, compared to straight through fluorocarbon or mono braid reduces your chance of landing fish on light gear. Braid has next to no stretch so when the fish runs the force is very jarring and has a high likelihood of breaking the line where as with mono or fluoro of the same test the line stretches to absorb some of the initial force and as a result the line doesn't break as easily.

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Sat May 28, 2016 5:59 pm

mazman wrote:
fishpod wrote:.... I think with braid you have a much better chance of landing a bigger fish on light line
I believe the opposite, compared to straight through fluorocarbon or mono braid reduces your chance of landing fish on light gear. Braid has next to no stretch so when the fish runs the force is very jarring and has a high likelihood of breaking the line where as with mono or fluoro of the same test the line stretches to absorb some of the initial force and as a result the line doesn't break as easily.

Cheers Alex
Thats where a good quality rod and reel come into play ;-) I have never had that happen to me so I will stick with light braid and leaders :thumbsup:

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat May 28, 2016 6:20 pm

With a decent drag I agree you can put a fair bit of hurt on with 4lb. But depending on the weed situation there you might lose a bit of tackle pulling through snags.

Trout don't really pull that hard so I don't doubt you getting 60cm fish on 4lb without too much stress. But snags will be a different story.

It's your choice at the end of the day mate. If the area is snag free you shouldn't have too many concerns apart from maybe the odd castoff

PDXSerric

Post by PDXSerric » Mon May 30, 2016 9:44 pm

Well, nothing this trip. Was the busiest I've seen Newlyn so far - 6 others there, no one catching anything. I'm not what you would call a fairweather fisherman, but I'm ready to wait til spring now...

4lb is ok for the fish on a light drag, let them play. I've bought some 10lb however because, you know, snags. >.<

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon May 30, 2016 9:46 pm

That's fishing. Better luck next time mate :)

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Mon May 30, 2016 9:56 pm

10lb braid is the heaviest line I use in freshwater for anything besides cod! 6lb is what I regularly use have only started dabbling in 4lb but I've already noticed how easy it breaks on snags! With HB lures averaging 10-15 bucks a pop I prefer to run 6lb
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Nightwish

Post by Nightwish » Tue May 31, 2016 9:07 am

personally l think 6lb is heavy enough and as you said big gav with the cost of lures l don't really want to be losing too many preferably none at all.
l would probably consider using lighter gear when fishing with mudeyes under a float or something like that because if you get busted off you haven't lost much

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”