Worden's Flatfish lures.

Rod Bender

Worden's Flatfish lures.

Post by Rod Bender » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:19 pm

Hi All,
I have seen Worden's Flatfish lures in stores for decades!Don't find them in many Vic shops nowadays, well not around here anyway. NSW shops seem to stock them a lot, especially the smaller size lures for trout. Purchased some a while ago and have used them a bit. Find them to be pretty good. Unfortunately I don't think they work that well in fast flowing shallow streams, not the size I have any way (approx 7 - 10cm long) but I have used them in channels around here and find that if there are any 'largish' redfin around, it will bring them undone. They are similar to Stumpjumpers but in my opinion they have a better action. Unfortunately I don't have a boat but I assume most people who use them would troll with them in impoundments for trout. Only issue with this is they work at a very slow pace and it may be difficult to match the slow speed with other lures being trolled. The models which I have - the front trebles are on a 'cross-arm' mount. Have found these to be very effective but I use them in channels where there are few snags. Have some larger models as well to try out on the cod. I can remember them being a very popular lure for cod decades ago. Not sure why they 'faded away' as they were popular. Possibly the Stumpjumper took over.
thanks
Jim
Attachments
flatfish 1.jpg
flatfish 1.jpg (6.37 KiB) Viewed 795 times
flatfish 2.jpg
flatfish 2.jpg (5.81 KiB) Viewed 795 times
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Worden's Flatfish lures.

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:08 pm

I have caught a heap of trout on these lures. Always popular up at Eucumbene.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:07 pm

Flatfish lures were more easy to find in the 80's , i bet they still work wonders .

ecofreak

Post by ecofreak » Fri May 18, 2012 8:04 am

With fisho's striving to find low priced lures in stores its tough to put a flat fish on the wall to compete with many current modern lures that have a higher demand at a lower price, most tackle stores will not want to do a bulk order for something that will sit on the shelf for longer than a season. Its a numbers game, the demand for flatfish has decreased massively and the lures can not be purchased in 1/2 dozen lots, there would be a minimum order amount and tackle stores dont want to spend big on lures that dont sell as well as others. Les face it there are hundreds of lures on tackle store lures at the moment, if you as a store owner had to choose between a lure that was selling and a lure that struggled what would you buy, they have spending limits just like we do.

If I was looking for a few flat fish though, Compleat Angler did a group buy on them a few years back and I reckon they will have some in a bargain bin some where.
Regards Paul Carter
Gan Craft Pro Staff
http://www.egikuma.blogspot.com

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri May 18, 2012 9:09 am

ecofreak wrote:With fisho's striving to find low priced lures in stores its tough to put a flat fish on the wall to compete with many current modern lures that have a higher demand at a lower price, most tackle stores will not want to do a bulk order for something that will sit on the shelf for longer than a season. Its a numbers game, the demand for flatfish has decreased massively and the lures can not be purchased in 1/2 dozen lots, there would be a minimum order amount and tackle stores dont want to spend big on lures that dont sell as well as others. Les face it there are hundreds of lures on tackle store lures at the moment, if you as a store owner had to choose between a lure that was selling and a lure that struggled what would you buy, they have spending limits just like we do.

If I was looking for a few flat fish though, Compleat Angler did a group buy on them a few years back and I reckon they will have some in a bargain bin some where.

Also many of the fishing show presenters do not use them. If for example Paul W used them, the demand for them would increase.

Also the shop at Anglers Reach, Alpine Angler will also have them.

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”