Let's talk barra lures

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Let's talk barra lures

Post by purple5ive » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:04 pm

what kind of gear would you use on barra, ive never even dreamed about chasing one before, but now this is a whole different scenario.

im guessing jewie gear would be a start, do these fish fight hard, i know they do some nice acrobatics.
im looking at buying a new snapper/jew rod soon and am looking at the black label 701MLXS or the black label 681mfs
ducky im pretty sure you have or used to have the latter. whats the rod like?
it will become my snapper/jew/barra rod lollllll

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:53 pm

I'm going to be using my cod gear for them Steve. It's a 20lb rated bc outfit. Although I reckon that my jew combo would also do the job. Both are fast action for stopping power and Hooksett. Barra seem to be a much more explosive fighter than either cod or jew so I dunno if a more regular action rod would help keep the hooks in.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:51 pm

i got no baitcasters or heavy duty reels loll.
ill have to do with what i got for now.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:18 pm

purple5ive wrote:what kind of gear would you use on barra, ive never even dreamed about chasing one before, but now this is a whole different scenario.

im guessing jewie gear would be a start, do these fish fight hard, i know they do some nice acrobatics.
im looking at buying a new snapper/jew rod soon and am looking at the black label 701MLXS or the black label 681mfs
ducky im pretty sure you have or used to have the latter. whats the rod like?
it will become my snapper/jew/barra rod lollllll
next time you see a shinano cod rod or barra rod on sale grab that.

they have the power to pull a barra out of weeds and snags and the perfect tip for making the lure twitch

I got one a few weeks ago for 70 bucks

Bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:31 pm

purple5ive wrote:i got no baitcasters or heavy duty reels loll.
ill have to do with what i got for now.
Majocraft 702mls with stradic ci4+ 3k. not really crazy heavy

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:38 am

Yeah purple I had the 681mfs. It was a nice enough rod. Best described as "instant taper" however I got quite a few guide wraps with it, don't know what it is about the black labels but I've had 2 and consistently guide wrap them. It's not just me as Dougie fished with it one day when I took him jewing a couple of years ago and encountered the same issues.

To begin with I'll be using my jew spin and cod casting gear. Just gotta learn how to cast BC haha. That will more than cover my bases for this first year. As they get bigger I may finally have use for my broomstick 7 foot 8kg spin rod that I've never put a decent bend into. Built it for jewing and fast realised it was overkill. More suited to light kingy/tuna fishing.

Snapper Snatcher
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:20 am

ducky wrote:Yeah purple I had the 681mfs. It was a nice enough rod. Best described as "instant taper" however I got quite a few guide wraps with it, don't know what it is about the black labels but I've had 2 and consistently guide wrap them. It's not just me as Dougie fished with it one day when I took him jewing a couple of years ago and encountered the same issues.

To begin with I'll be using my jew spin and cod casting gear. Just gotta learn how to cast BC haha. That will more than cover my bases for this first year. As they get bigger I may finally have use for my broomstick 7 foot 8kg spin rod that I've never put a decent bend into. Built it for jewing and fast realised it was overkill. More suited to light kingy/tuna fishing.
I probably use that rod more than any other rod I own Ducky, never had an issue with guide wraps, maybe the odd one but not more than any other rods.

ducky

Post by ducky » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:55 am

Ah that's right I sold it to you.

Weird. Maybe because it was a fair bit faster actioned than all my other rods I needed to adjust something. It was a very nice rod though. I should have kept it. Haha

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:47 am

Thanks lads,
what Size reels are/were you running on it.

ducky, yes its quite a stiff rod, so when casting its easy to get the line wraps, ive had it happen on other stiff rods as well.

ducky

Post by ducky » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:10 am

I had a 2506 Caldia on it but I use and prefer the luvias 2510peh these days.

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”