Hooks on skirted lures

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Hooks on skirted lures

Post by Mattblack » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:26 am

Hi All,
I'm new to rigging up lures. Can anyone tell me if I can put a circle hook on a skirted game lure (targeting Tuna)?
BB Tuna.jpg
BB Tuna.jpg (59.62 KiB) Viewed 1181 times

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Hooks on skirted lures

Post by purple5ive » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:44 am

I wouldn't mate. just use normal hooks thats are heavy gauge, or buy the pre rigged versions.

Delirium
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Delirium » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:23 pm

I agree with purple5ive. The mechanics of circle hooks aren't quite right when trolling at those required speeds. Not saying it wouldn't work, but there's far more effective patterns for that!

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:35 pm

we only use circle hooks on live baits and give the fish time before lifting the drag lever to set the hook. All lures I have (bought rigged and rigged myself) use j hooks , and inline only offset hooks tend to make the lure spin. I have read that some people have been trying them. But for me until someone like pakula,black Bart, or joe Yee recommends them I will not be changing over

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:46 pm

Yep. In line J style hooks. Stainless steel too if you want them to last. I know stainless is a bit of a no no now but I imagine you're not going to use light tackle on expensive lures and that reduces the chances of a fish having the hook stuck in its guts. The sizing and location of the hook relative to the skirt size and length is also important. I'm sure there is some good info on the interweb about this. Possibly on the Pakula website. It's worth reading end to end if you're new to trolling skirts.

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”