Lure Maintenance and Storage

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Lure Maintenance and Storage

Post by Mattblack » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:47 pm

Can anyone tell me if you can store lures (particularly skirted lures and plastics) by spraying them with inox/wd40 and then putting them into a plastic bag? Will the smell deter fish?

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Lure Maintenance and Storage

Post by Nude up » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:38 pm

My skirted lures I just wash in fresh water at the end of the day and store in the lure rolls which breath

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:23 pm

I'd be careful of spraying solvents on your lures, you don't know how the paint or plastic (especially the rubbery bits on skirts) may react. I just give mine a rinse under tap water and leave to air dry over night... if I remember that is
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:53 pm

wash under tap never use wd40

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:58 am

I've noticed the skirts kind of stiffen up after use (and after washing) and read this on the Pakula website:
Long Term Storage of Skirted Lures:
• For long term storage the best is spaying the lures and rigs with silicone and wrapping individual lures in grease proof paper and storing away from light sources.
• If you store lures in plastic of any sort the lubricants in the skirts will migrate to any plastic or other lures the skirts are in contact with. Spraying any plastic containers or lure bags with silicone will cut the migration down significantly.

Perhaps find a silicon based spray with no other additives?

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:31 pm

My skirted lures have only been washed in fresh water and put back in the lure rolls I have had them for many years and have had no problems. Maybe in qld it's an issue but here in vic I haven't noticed any problems and neither have my mates.

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:53 pm

Yep, definitely give them a silicone spray, it really extends the skirts life and keeps it supple so it performs as it should.
I was at one of his talks and was surprised when he bought the topic up, I definitely learned something new from the master

trout-hunter
Has liked: 8 times

Post by trout-hunter » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:58 pm

I keep my hard bodies and spinners in containers with crushed trout pellets. Seems to work for me although im more of a soft plastic fisherman these days. Much cheaper and easier to keep due to being hookless and come in bags.

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Whiskers » Sun May 07, 2017 9:29 pm

I bought a box of old used lures at the market this morning and have spent the afternoon refurbishing them. Basically they just needed a clean and old hooks and split rings replaced.

It has always puzzled me as to why, especially on small finesse lures, manufacturers mount a split ring on the tie point of the lure.

I feel that all too often a split ring at the tie point is clumsy and will often unbalance the lure. I believe that lures work much better if simply attached with a loop knot.

I've never been trustful of lure clips but I can see the merit in using a split ring on larger, heavy duty lures when used in conjunction with a good quality swivel attaching the mainline to the split ring.

Your thoughts?

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Sun May 07, 2017 11:09 pm

I use a lure clip with swivel for all my lures from bream to marlin never had a problem and caught plenty

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”