How many lost lures before you change over ???

TackleNut

How many lost lures before you change over ???

Post by TackleNut » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:11 pm

If you regulary lose lures to snags and the like well your definatly not alone on that one, many fisho's I know remove the 1st treble and only leave the back one on, as it often gets snagged on the belly treble so they remove it as they have lost heaps of lures to snags because of it.

When I fished in heavily snagged places, along the Murray mostly but also down here in Melbourne and always nearly in Freshwater, ( except for 35 years ago at Patto River, the place was a swamp back then and full of snags, but ohh the Bream were Huge !!! ) I actually used to change my harder high carbon based trebles over to softer steel/bronze hooks, these were more than a match for any fish I was chasing but also I knew that If I applied enough pressure that I could bend and straighten the hooks on the lure and retreive my lure.
I would just take a spool of an old reel and wrap the snagged line around that so I had a straight pull from me to the snag and not through my rod or reel as I didn't want everything to break on me.
I used to lose over $100 lures a session, we all know how easy it is to get snagged and how expensive some lures are.
After about 4 sessions I got it down to costing me some new trebles which as most guys know I deal in tackle so its not a problem. Occasionaly I would still lose a lure, but no where as many as what it was.
Every session used to be 4-7 lures before I cried and gave up :cry: :cry:
Now if I know that we are going and I prepare I might lose an average of about .33, yep 1 out of every 3 sessions.
Changed a few hooks in that time, but whats the point of having the worlds strongest hooks on if its snagged ?
Do you actually need the Worlds strongest hooks to catch fish ? I don't know about you, but i know I have used a distorted and bent hook many times as I havent had the chance to change it during a hot bite and it lasted just fine through it all.
Sure good strong & sharp hooks are good to use, but do we really need a 4 x or even 2x strong hook when just a standard strength hook is all that is needed, in fact wanted as its normally thinner, sharper and penetrates easier.

Well thats my .20c for today, let me know what you think about it.
Do we need super strong hooks for every occasion ???

cheers
tacklenut

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: How many lost lures before you change over ???

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:24 pm

Well hello stranger, and welcome it is about time you started posting here.

Personally I do prefer to have hooks that will bend so I can retrieve the lure.

Most of lure losses at present haven't been because of snags, but when casting using my 10' rod, the bail arm some times clips back over just as I cast and ping the line breaks at the point where the braid and mono join.

Seen a few lures fly off into the sunset when that happens, just lately I have been doubling the braid over for the slim bueaty knot. Not sure if that has solved the problem as I haven't had the bail arm flip over for a while.

In my time of trolling for trout, I have managed on a few occasions been able to retrieve the snag as well.

Got a tackle back, and have used them with effect, however once even lost the tackleback as well. It got well and truly snagged. :snap:

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Sun May 01, 2011 1:26 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:Well hello stranger, and welcome it is about time you started posting here.
:snap:
Mate its not from the lack of trying, so many posts I have lost due to time outs, I was getting jack of them.
And boy was there some real head fryers, really do your head in. They were probably too deep for most anyway.

cheers
the stranger

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun May 01, 2011 6:55 am

TackleNut wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:Well hello stranger, and welcome it is about time you started posting here.
:snap:
Mate its not from the lack of trying, so many posts I have lost due to time outs, I was getting jack of them.
And boy was there some real head fryers, really do your head in. They were probably too deep for most anyway.

cheers
the stranger

When it is timed out, just hit the retry and refresh buttons.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sun May 01, 2011 4:27 pm

Welcome Nick,

The timeout, is a pain in the arse, but I believe is not something to do with the forum software, so is almost out of our control :evil:

Look forward to your many more of your posts and a few deals/specials you may be able to offer to our members :thumbsup:

Cheers,

crazycod

Post by crazycod » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:53 pm

As soon as I get a snag my dad walks into the water and gets it of :lol: . Then I use the lure again

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”