Rip-off squid jigs vs high quality squid jigs

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Rip-off squid jigs vs high quality squid jigs

Post by skronkman » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:58 am

I have a selection of jigs on my boat (about 40) with everything from the el cheapo jigs you see in the petrol station, Kmart specials, Rays outdoors liquidation specials, etc to shimano, daiwa, yamashita $30 jobs. There is definitely a difference in quality of the jigs, from the foil, cloth, barbs and construction to the sink angle and straightness. The better quality ones seem to last a bit longer after a few squid have munched on them too. All this being said, my most productive jig is still a cheapo that I got from Rays tent city (I think it's Rogue brand) for about $3 in a natural whiting colour. It's pretty haggard now with torn cloth and missing both feathers from the sides (I had to pull off one side to make it sink straight again). I still buy mostly cheap jigs or maybe a few quality ones when on a very good special (not that I need any more). It hurts a lot less to lose $3 jig on a snag than it does a $30 one! I haven't noticed an obvious difference in catch rates between cheap and expensive jigs personally; it's all in the quality of construction.

A few tricks already mentioned on here. Some will save you jigs or make em last a bit longer like cutting off the bottom facing spikes (or just bending them up) will save you from a few snags. Using a paternoster style rig with a small sinker to get deeper and stay off the bottom when it's snaggy. Run a small touch of glue down the seams and on the feather/eye attachments of new jigs (cheap ones) to help the cloth/feathers/eyes from pulling out the first time you use them.

I've not tried Rui jigs but have heard good things.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:50 am

ducky wrote:The quality is good enough mate. They are essentially exactly the same as the Shimano Sephias. The weights are slightly different. But they sink nicely. They certainly catch. The designer Rui fishes locally and has good advice. Easily the best bang for buck option.
they are a copy of yamashita , hence why his sinker weights fit his jigs and yamashita jigs only..

but yeah as mentioned they are decent value jigs, and only $9 if picked up from his house, ebay charges 20% extra.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:41 am

Mattblack wrote:Anyone had any luck with the new Shimano 'rattle' jigs? I was catching squid one morning on a normal white sephia & changed over to an identical jig but with the rattle....I swear it scared them all off.
Yamashita and Sumizoku are nice jigs if you can get them on sale, otherwise the price is hard to justify.
Shimano rattle, work on my boat....

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:21 am

look for rui tang on facebook

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:31 am

purple5ive wrote:
ducky wrote:The quality is good enough mate. They are essentially exactly the same as the Shimano Sephias. The weights are slightly different. But they sink nicely. They certainly catch. The designer Rui fishes locally and has good advice. Easily the best bang for buck option.
they are a copy of yamashita , hence why his sinker weights fit his jigs and yamashita jigs only..

but yeah as mentioned they are decent value jigs, and only $9 if picked up from his house, ebay charges 20% extra.
That would only be determined by the weight and nose shape steve. Pretty sure ducky is on the money regarding his jigs and shimano sephias.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Post by piscateur » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:52 am

I have used Rays outdoors cheapos to Gancrafts and Keystone jigs. the most disappointing Jig was the Gancraft because of their crowns rusting away even with the most vigilant care. the cheapos I used did catch but they also sank like a rock. My Favs were Harimitsu and Megabass, but the textures cloth Harimitsus never lasted long but it didn't affect the catch rate.I have found myself using Rui jigs as the are the best bang for buck out there. and when you step into his shop its the best squid jig wall youll ever see. Note he does stock Yama, Yo Zuris, Harimitsus, ketstone, and more plus his jigs. if u have a chance to go visit then do yourself a favour. U can find him on FB.

Hectic habbib

Post by Hectic habbib » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:17 pm

go to markets, the chinese sell them for cheap, or there is a post office down the road from me and were selling unbranded one for 5 for 20$ and worked bloody good, but markets are the way to go

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:51 pm

I just got some jigs from anaconda for 7.5 each

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Post by wem21 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:14 pm

piscateur wrote:I have used Rays outdoors cheapos to Gancrafts and Keystone jigs. the most disappointing Jig was the Gancraft because of their crowns rusting away even with the most vigilant care. the cheapos I used did catch but they also sank like a rock. My Favs were Harimitsu and Megabass, but the textures cloth Harimitsus never lasted long but it didn't affect the catch rate.I have found myself using Rui jigs as the are the best bang for buck out there. and when you step into his shop its the best squid jig wall youll ever see. Note he does stock Yama, Yo Zuris, Harimitsus, ketstone, and more plus his jigs. if u have a chance to go visit then do yourself a favour. U can find him on FB.
Where would I find his shop? Would I have to buy them on ebay or is there a physical shop?

piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Post by piscateur » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:14 pm

wem21 wrote:
piscateur wrote:I have used Rays outdoors cheapos to Gancrafts and Keystone jigs. the most disappointing Jig was the Gancraft because of their crowns rusting away even with the most vigilant care. the cheapos I used did catch but they also sank like a rock. My Favs were Harimitsu and Megabass, but the textures cloth Harimitsus never lasted long but it didn't affect the catch rate.I have found myself using Rui jigs as the are the best bang for buck out there. and when you step into his shop its the best squid jig wall youll ever see. Note he does stock Yama, Yo Zuris, Harimitsus, ketstone, and more plus his jigs. if u have a chance to go visit then do yourself a favour. U can find him on FB.
Where would I find his shop? Would I have to buy them on ebay or is there a physical shop?
He's in Clayton/Springvale Just off Westall RD

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”