It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: Spinnerbait vs Chatterbait

Post by Sebb » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:12 pm

rb85 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:31 pm
Had success using skirted jigs rigged with a plastic vert effective in heavy timber.
Never seen a skirted jig. Google image shows it similar to chatterbaits without the blade thing.

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:37 pm

I have used spinnerbaits a lot more than chatterbaits and therefore I have caught more cod on spinnerbaits. I think, and am happy to be corrected, that if you are after a very slow retrieve then sb's may be the go. This may be due to the particular ones I use and the fact I use them at times in strong current.

My fav brand of chatterbaits are constructed locally here in Shepparton...'4D Spinnerbaits'. They were suggested by a local tackle store for yellas. All I caught on them were cod but on saying that, with hindsight I don't think there were many yellas where I fished. Bassman also have chatterbaits but they call them mumblers. Bassman also have mumbler jigs which you add skirts, plastics whatever.

I would certainly get a few chatterbaits to try. As with other lures, choose an appropriate size for either cod or yellas. The following colours, or combinations will work...black/red/purple/green/yellow/orange.
Cheers
Jim

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:06 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:12 pm
rb85 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:31 pm
Had success using skirted jigs rigged with a plastic vert effective in heavy timber.
Yeah thats exactly what they are.

Never seen a skirted jig. Google image shows it similar to chatterbaits without the blade thing.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:20 pm

April Fool wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:37 pm
I have used spinnerbaits a lot more than chatterbaits and therefore I have caught more cod on spinnerbaits. I think, and am happy to be corrected, that if you are after a very slow retrieve then sb's may be the go. This may be due to the particular ones I use and the fact I use them at times in strong current.

My fav brand of chatterbaits are constructed locally here in Shepparton...'4D Spinnerbaits'. They were suggested by a local tackle store for yellas. All I caught on them were cod but on saying that, with hindsight I don't think there were many yellas where I fished. Bassman also have chatterbaits but they call them mumblers. Bassman also have mumbler jigs which you add skirts, plastics whatever.

I would certainly get a few chatterbaits to try. As with other lures, choose an appropriate size for either cod or yellas. The following colours, or combinations will work...black/red/purple/green/yellow/orange.
Cheers
Jim
Thanks!
Yeah I guess it's worth to have and try. Seems like spinnerbait is more popular but maybe because they have been around more.
I read something that chatterbaits give more subtle vibration than spinnerbaits, but the retrieve can not be as slow as spinnerbaits, hence not in the strike zone as long.

bradp
Has liked: 42 times

Post by bradp » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:36 am

Seb85 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:29 pm
bradp wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:22 pm
Quite a few of the local lure makers are now using worm hooks on the chatterbaits making them far more snag resistant!
I have some but always find myself throwing spinnerbaits because I know they work for me personally.

Capture.JPG
Which brand is this? looks good! yes worm hook / weedless hook surely helps.
I saw Starlo used a chatterbait for bass on his kayak, looks like it's good for bass in deep water, such as Blue Rock Lake.
Hell Yeah Chatterbaits
https://www.facebook.com/Hell-yeah-chat ... 914891137/

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:42 am

bradp wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:36 am
Seb85 wrote:

I saw Starlo used a chatterbait for bass on his kayak, looks like it's good for bass in deep water, such as Blue Rock Lake.
Hell Yeah Chatterbaits
I contacted them, they don't have any retailers in VIC that sell it. How did you get them?

bradp
Has liked: 42 times

Post by bradp » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:00 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:42 am
bradp wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:36 am
Seb85 wrote:

Hell Yeah Chatterbaits
I contacted them, they don't have any retailers in VIC that sell it. How did you get them?
I dealt with them directly via Facebook.

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”