Spinnerbait vs Chatterbait

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Spinnerbait vs Chatterbait

Post by Sebb » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:30 am

Hi all,

I have tried to google and youtube this, Spinnerbait vs Chatterbait. Just wondering what are your thoughts?
When to use them, how to use them, what target fish, which one is more effective, best brand, best colours, snag resistant, etc.
Primarily for Aussie Bass, Murray Cod and Yellowbelly. Especially Aussie Bass in Blue Rock Lake and Yellowbelly in Albert Park Lake.

matari
Has liked: 5 times

Re: Spinnerbait vs Chatterbait

Post by matari » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:08 am

spinnerbaits are way more snag resistant i have heard and if you can get the twin spins or 4x4s they are even more resistant. i've never had any luck on them i only fish for cod with spinnerbaits and no other fish. you can target cod, yellas mostly and native fish. simple steady retrieve usually makes the blades swim right. i've never used chatterbaits but of what i have heard of friends is that they wouldn't throw a chatterbait into where they would throw a spinnerbait. get a variety of colours. hopefully i can catch one on a spinnerbait this season as well. Cheers Matari

bradp
Has liked: 42 times

Post by bradp » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:22 pm

Quite a few of the local lure makers are now using worm hooks on the chatterbaits making them far more snag resistant!
I have some but always find myself throwing spinnerbaits because I know they work for me personally.

Capture.JPG

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:28 pm

matari wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:08 am
spinnerbaits are way more snag resistant i have heard and if you can get the twin spins or 4x4s they are even more resistant. i've never had any luck on them i only fish for cod with spinnerbaits and no other fish. you can target cod, yellas mostly and native fish. simple steady retrieve usually makes the blades swim right. i've never used chatterbaits but of what i have heard of friends is that they wouldn't throw a chatterbait into where they would throw a spinnerbait. get a variety of colours. hopefully i can catch one on a spinnerbait this season as well. Cheers Matari
Thanks! i dont have much experience in fishing for natives. Never tried chatterbait. Good to know that they are not snag resistant.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:29 pm

bradp wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:22 pm
Quite a few of the local lure makers are now using worm hooks on the chatterbaits making them far more snag resistant!
I have some but always find myself throwing spinnerbaits because I know they work for me personally.

Capture.JPG
Which brand is this? looks good! yes worm hook / weedless hook surely helps.
I saw Starlo used a chatterbait for bass on his kayak, looks like it's good for bass in deep water, such as Blue Rock Lake.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:33 pm

In my experience, ive found chatterbaits more snag resistant - as brad posted, the cheapos ive gotten off aliexpress (about 2.50ea) can be rigged weedless when adding a SP to it.

They both have their own merits and variations in use, i think they are generally "new" here in Australia and gaining some momentum as an alternative option to spinnrtbaits. Remember seeing them in the USA back in 2010, but from the videos/channels ive watched they have been seldom featured or spoken about by locals here until the last few years and thats still limited.

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:17 pm

Seb, have you used spinnerbaits a fair bit and you just want to know how chatterbaits compare or are you chasing info on both?
Cheers
Jim

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:32 pm

April Fool wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:17 pm
Seb, have you used spinnerbaits a fair bit and you just want to know how chatterbaits compare or are you chasing info on both?
Cheers
Jim
Spot on Jim, I've used spinnerbaits for Cod and Yellowbellies. Not much experience, but enough to know how it works, etc.
Never tried chatterbaits and intrigued to know on how good/bad it is after watched Starlo's video.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:00 pm

There are a bunch of bass (usa) videos you can watch for a rundown and technique, generally speaking, chatterbaits can be a steady retrieve ala spinnerbaits or they can be pulsed through the water like you may work a SP.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:31 pm

Had success using skirted jigs rigged with a plastic vert effective in heavy timber.

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”