Which is correct

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Which is correct

Post by Nude up » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:40 pm

I purchased another x rap 20 I can't help myself, this one came with singles installed as you can see the end single is pointing down. I change all my xraps to singles but install the last hook pointing up I always thought you get a better hook up rate that way.
The big question which do you think is correct.
15610092299561.jpg

GusG
Has liked: 41 times

Re: Which is correct

Post by GusG » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:48 pm

I have the rear hook pointing up

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:55 pm

with the back hook i always have mine pointing up.
in having the point up, you get the hookup in the top of the mouth which is the harder part for most fish, which in turn prevents pulling hooks and also gets you a solid hookup.
by having it pointed down, you get the hookup in the jaw which can end up getting ripped out and loosing the fish..

the front one def. needs to be how it is in the pic..

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:57 pm

lure 1.PNG

Nuddie, I don't have a problem either/or , , , , with last hook pointed up or pointed down , , , , my fingers get easily hooked either way

On a serious question of a question. I'm not a lure fisho but I do place importance on how my hooks are placed in a bait. As example, when I'm baiting up a whole Pillie, I try and put one hook in each side of the Pilchard. This way, my thought process is that there is a hook pointed in both directions and thought process dictates that the fish grabbing the Pilchard on either side would result in a better hook up rate.

Is that your thoughts as to changing the last hook , , , , or is it just better positioned on its own pointing upwards?

Cheers, Bugatti

Edit , , , , just read 5teve's reply and that makes sense

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:13 pm

All my lures have trebles, why go to singles???
Most of my lures are like me, not young
Cheers Gra
Punctured bug, your not alone

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:48 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:57 pm
lure 1.PNG

Nuddie, I don't have a problem either/or , , , , with last hook pointed up or pointed down , , , , my fingers get easily hooked either way

On a serious question of a question. I'm not a lure fisho but I do place importance on how my hooks are placed in a bait. As example, when I'm baiting up a whole Pillie, I try and put one hook in each side of the Pilchard. This way, my thought process is that there is a hook pointed in both directions and thought process dictates that the fish grabbing the Pilchard on either side would result in a better hook up rate.

Is that your thoughts as to changing the last hook , , , , or is it just better positioned on its own pointing upwards?

Cheers, Bugatti

Edit , , , , just read 5teve's reply and that makes sense
My thoughts have always been hook up same reasons as Steve, two hook rig in a pillie one hook either way to be sure to be sure.

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:50 pm

Texas wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:13 pm
All my lures have trebles, why go to singles???
Most of my lures are like me, not young
Cheers Gra
Punctured bug, your not alone
Two reasons I believe you get a better hook up rate than trebles and they are easier to get out then trebles most times I can just slide my finger in the gape and the hook comes out you don’t have to take the fish out of the water.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:07 pm

I think if you're catching fish like tuna with a lure that size it wouldn't really matter. Well most larger fish for that matter. A lot of the time both hooks are pinned in their mouth anyway. I don't know of any fish that has a harder top jaw than their lower jaw. They are pretty much the same.

Anth

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:18 pm

Going by 'tackleshop' advice, I was told if the hook was the wrong way around, it would change the action of the lure. Going by this, I'd say the tail hook is the wrong way around....still not convinced this is true to be honest.
*Find I have a better hook up rate with trebles

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:23 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:18 pm
Going by 'tackleshop' advice, I was told if the hook was the wrong way around, it would change the action of the lure. Going by this, I'd say the tail hook is the wrong way around....still not convinced this is true to be honest.
*Find I have a better hook up rate with trebles
I reckon that might be true on smaller lures. for example; Changing treble size on a small lure will change it's action and change how it sinks/suspends.

I don't think it would make much difference with a big lure like a xrap20 or 30. The river2sea vibes that i use for pelagic's have swivels to the hooks..
Attachments
4188_4_n.jpg
4188_5_n.jpg

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”