Weedless rigging soft plastics

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Weedless rigging soft plastics

Post by wem21 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:46 am

Hi guys,

I'm looking into weedless rigging my plastics, and I'm wondering if doing so affects your catch rate with fish? If not, what disadvantages/advantages does it have over normal jigheads? then what size worm hook should I use in a 2.5 inch plastic?

Cheers

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Re: Weedless rigging soft plastics

Post by Sebb » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:54 am

The advantage is obvious, you wont get snagged too easily in comparison to the normal jig heads.
Not really a disadvantage, but you gotta strike and set the hook a bit firm (since the hook is kinda hidden).
Size is crucial i think, best is to go to a local tackle shop and try to mix and match the hook and the lure.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:13 pm

wem21 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:46 am
Hi guys,

I'm looking into weedless rigging my plastics, and I'm wondering if doing so affects your catch rate with fish? If not, what disadvantages/advantages does it have over normal jigheads? then what size worm hook should I use in a 2.5 inch plastic?

Cheers
I've been looking to do the same. I haven't been able to find anything in tackle stores, they don't sell anything small enough. I ended up finding them on ebay. I'm pretty sure you'll need a 1/0. You can also get hooks with a bit of weight on them as well.

Cheers, Anth

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:15 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:54 am
The advantage is obvious, you wont get snagged too easily in comparison to the normal jig heads.
Not really a disadvantage, but you gotta strike and set the hook a bit firm (since the hook is kinda hidden).
Size is crucial i think, best is to go to a local tackle shop and try to mix and match the hook and the lure.
Also relies on the fish actually swallowing the plastic rather than swiping at it and there is a bit of a knack to the hookset on some species. Personally I only use them when technique or location dictates. Also despite the name in soft weed you will still have weed collect on the line and front of the plastic
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:27 pm

mazman wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:15 pm
Seb85 wrote:
Also relies on the fish actually swallowing the plastic rather than swiping at it and there is a bit of a knack to the hookset on some species. Personally I only use them when technique or location dictates. Also despite the name in soft weed you will still have weed collect on the line and front of the plastic
Oh yes true that last sentence, happened a lot when I fished Albert Park.
Changing to bullet style sinker helps a bit (instead of a ball or any other sinker), but still not 100% soft weed proof.

wem21

Post by wem21 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:29 pm

mazman wrote:
Seb85 wrote:
Oh well that kinda defeats the purpose then. So they're only really useful if fishing hard cover for bass or bream?

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:36 pm

wem21 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:29 pm
Oh well that kinda defeats the purpose then. So they're only really useful if fishing hard cover for bass or bream?
You can use for any fish at anytime. But the hookup rate might get reduced.
E.g. southern black bream that we have here often gives a little tap instead of swallowing the whole plastic right away. Makes it hard to get them on plastic with weedless hook.
No issue with redfin or barra, or even yellowbelly and cod. They have big mouth and often hit hard swallowing the whole lot. Just gotta set the hook firm.

As mazman said, depends on the location.
Don't use it if you don't need to.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:00 pm

wem21 wrote:
mazman wrote:
Seb85 wrote:
It depends on the type of weed, any weed that's a bit more firm and you lose stuff to or get weed hung up on it by hook penetration it will help. I was more talking the really fine weed, even the strap weed in albert park it will help a bit there's just some styles of weed where it doesn't seem to make a difference at all. if you're fishing zmans there's a way to rig them weedless on headlocks jigheads. Otherwise decoy nailbombs are good if you want the weight at the front, or just weedless hooks with ball sinkers tied into a loop knot and TT do SWS hooks for a more horizontal sink. All depends how you want to present it.

Jump to 2:45 in this for the zman on headlocks rigging
https://youtu.be/r-6q9tC4MUM
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

wem21

Post by wem21 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:06 pm

mazman wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:00 pm
wem21 wrote:
mazman wrote:
Seb85 wrote:
It depends on the type of weed, any weed that's a bit more firm and you lose stuff to or get weed hung up on it by hook penetration it will help. I was more talking the really fine weed, even the strap weed in albert park it will help a bit there's just some styles of weed where it doesn't seem to make a difference at all. if you're fishing zmans there's a way to rig them weedless on headlocks jigheads. Otherwise decoy nailbombs are good if you want the weight at the front, or just weedless hooks with ball sinkers tied into a loop knot and TT do SWS hooks for a more horizontal sink. All depends how you want to present it.

Jump to 2:45 in this for the zman on headlocks rigging
https://youtu.be/r-6q9tC4MUM
Oh nice, thanks for the tip! I really enjoy your videos btw

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:07 pm

wem21 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:46 am
Hi guys,

Cheers
what is your final outcome/expectation with trying to fish like this?

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”