Beach Spinning Starter Pack

Cuda
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Beach Spinning Starter Pack

Post by Cuda » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:50 pm

Thnx poodoo..only tried 30-60, but have cast star sinker size 3 (I think it is....) or might even be 4?? on a patternoster rig with no worries at all..Very versatile rod with the length for the surf too.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:28 am

Just on a personal level, I would stick to 9` for spinning. The 10`6 is a bit more cumbersome, I know it doesn`t sound like that much difference, but if your gonna go for a long spin sesh, which can last for four or five hours, then make life easy on yourself. I`ve used the jewel for a few years and it has done me well, not a lot to choose between the three rods you mention though..

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:51 am

CarlG wrote:Just on a personal level, I would stick to 9` for spinning. The 10`6 is a bit more cumbersome, I know it doesn`t sound like that much difference, but if your gonna go for a long spin sesh, which can last for four or five hours, then make life easy on yourself. I`ve used the jewel for a few years and it has done me well, not a lot to choose between the three rods you mention though..
agree with carl. I bought a 10ft 6 in and it is tiring to use. I bought it because I was hoping to cast heavier lures farther. I achieved extra distance but not as much as I hoped for. 9ft is more convenient to use.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:12 am

This one:

Shimano Starlo Classix Fishing Rod 902 Shorespin
Product Specifications & Features
• Model 902 Shore spin
• 2.74 metres (9 foot)
• 2 Piece Fishing Rod
• Fishing line rating 5-10kg
• Cork grips
• Graphite Blank
• Zirconium guides
• Lure Rating 15-45 grams

I have used the Starlo Classix for few years now and it is an awesome and powerful rod to use.

I have caught salmon to 2.5kg and gummys around 5kg and even whiting with no problems at all. It's light and a joy to use!

AND I have a brand new "spare" for that I am willing to sell too. ($100 picked up from St Kilda East)

PM me if interested
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

poodoo

Post by poodoo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:20 am

Fish-cador wrote:
CarlG wrote:Just on a personal level, I would stick to 9` for spinning. The 10`6 is a bit more cumbersome, I know it doesn`t sound like that much difference, but if your gonna go for a long spin sesh, which can last for four or five hours, then make life easy on yourself. I`ve used the jewel for a few years and it has done me well, not a lot to choose between the three rods you mention though..
agree with carl. I bought a 10ft 6 in and it is tiring to use. I bought it because I was hoping to cast heavier lures farther. I achieved extra distance but not as much as I hoped for. 9ft is more convenient to use.
i used to spin spin with a 12 foot rod and it can get tiring.....9 foot is generally accepted as the point of balance between convenience and power.

davjak
Has liked: 13 times

Post by davjak » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:39 pm

Well now I have a 10'6 Catana and 9' Classix thanks to a great deal with fishingvic .. I guess it only makes sense that I will have to go fishing twice as much to use both rods :)

poodoo

Post by poodoo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:48 pm

Always good to have a spare rod!

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:58 pm

how far are you guys casting a slug with these 9-10 foot rods? I bought an 8'10 gladiator egi equip and it throws a slug a mile. I've only kept it incase I want to have a crack at surf spinning. I don't know how far it is but I can hit the sand bags at portsea pub from the very end of the pier with a 25 gram slug.

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:21 am

I can cast a 9-10 foot rod much further than a 12 footer.

Not sure why....just seem to have more confidence with the 9-10 foot range.

Love my Daiwa Seajigger 305 which is a 10 footer!
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:25 pm

ducky wrote:how far are you guys casting a slug with these 9-10 foot rods? I bought an 8'10 gladiator egi equip and it throws a slug a mile. I've only kept it incase I want to have a crack at surf spinning. I don't know how far it is but I can hit the sand bags at portsea pub from the very end of the pier with a 25 gram slug.
Hey Ducky....I normally get around 80mtrs as a rule with a 9` shore spin setup...the only issue you`ll have with your egi rod is on the back beaches. Trying to persuade a 1.5-2kg salmon to come up through the breakers is gonna be hard going, ask Fish Cador what happens when your under-gunned in the surf, and you come up against a decent fish. Be ok in the bay though..
(I think we had this same conversation on another forum ...lol..)

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”