Bender's spinner suggestion for trout/reddies.

Rod Bender

Bender's spinner suggestion for trout/reddies.

Post by Rod Bender » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:16 pm

Hi All
A lot of you will no doubt be aware of the Blue Fox Super Vibrax range of spinners. I was actually surprised a few years ago whilst in the fishing tackle shop in Flinders Lane, a customer who had been told by someone to try these lures asked the salesperson if they had any. The salesperson had never heard of them at that point. They are readily available in BCF and some tackle stores. Whilst I could say they are cheap, they are not for spinners. Around $9 from BCF I guess which is expensive for a spinner. The way I look at it, it is cheap because if I wasn't using these I would possibly be using a more expensive hard body. They can be picked up on line a lot cheaper. The 'Classic Vibrax' has a bare hook but there are now other models in the Blue Fox range which have a dressed hook.
They claim to have an anti - twist device which prevents line twist. I'm not too sure about this! BCF carries two different sizes I think - Size 1 (4 grams) and Size 2 (6 grams) I find the smaller ones are better in the streams with the current and the larger ones great for long casting in situations where there is no or little current. All colors will work. Pictured below is the 'Perch' pattern. A good color if you can get it is 'Firetiger'. I have caught some great trout on them and redfin. Soft plastics may outfish these anyday with the reddies but if you chase trout occasionally, they are worth a look!
thanks
Jim
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Blue-Fox ... l+Products" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
Vibrax.jpg
Vibrax.jpg (168.97 KiB) Viewed 601 times
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Re: Bender's spinner suggestion for trout/reddies.

Post by ChrisD » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:33 pm

Thanks Jim - these look interesting. Time to update my spinner collection, may have to include a few of these.

Mappo

Post by Mappo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:54 pm

Most of my spinning for trout was done in the nineties and the one to go to lure was always the Blue Fox Super Vibrax in either size one of two. The most successful colour was brass with red spots with a yellow border around each red spot. Agree with you regarding the line twist, always used 4lb mono and employed a plastic keel about 20-20cm above the lure (struggling to find in some tacle stores these days).

Rivers that I used to fish and had great success with this lure were the Upper Yarra (above Warburton), Big River, Goulburn River (above and below Lake Eildon), Jamieson River, Howqua River, Buffalo River, Rose River, Tanjil River, Latrobe River, Tarago River, Pennyweight Creek and Lightning creek.

Regards,

Mappo.

eslop

Post by eslop » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:52 pm

I'll have to pick your brain Jim when it cools down, so hopefully I can get my 1st Aussie Trout!
Cheers, Scott.

pb's
Murray Cod: 92 on spinnerbait, 81 on surface lure, 74 on bait
Golden Perch: 49 on TN60
Redfin: 41 on TN60
Brown Trout: 68 on SP
Rainbow: maybe 10
Mudmarlin: 78

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:16 pm

eslop wrote:I'll have to pick your brain Jim when it cools down, so hopefully I can get my 1st Aussie Trout!
You won't have far to go!

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:25 pm

the last reddie i caught was in 1998 on a gold, red and black celta spinner.......if i target them again i might try the blue foxes......

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:07 pm

They have them on motackle in 3 sizes at $4.95 and $6.96 each in like 15 coulours.
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

eslop

Post by eslop » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:32 pm

Rod Bender wrote:
eslop wrote:I'll have to pick your brain Jim when it cools down, so hopefully I can get my 1st Aussie Trout!
You won't have far to go!
Into your brain or location :grin:
Cheers, Scott.

pb's
Murray Cod: 92 on spinnerbait, 81 on surface lure, 74 on bait
Golden Perch: 49 on TN60
Redfin: 41 on TN60
Brown Trout: 68 on SP
Rainbow: maybe 10
Mudmarlin: 78

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:42 pm

eslop wrote:I'll have to pick your brain Jim when it cools down,....
Funnily enough I was going to ask if it was my brain you were going to pick when it cooled down! Location = Waranga Basin. As for my brain, that is anyone's guess!

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”