Re: 3.9m Tinny

Post by Lightningx » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:05 pm

Ekey wrote:Kilmore Lightningx
Where would you be launching from? :P

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:54 pm

I have a 4.2m tinny and absolutely love it. 3.9 is starting to get a little small for me, but on a calm day it would be totally safe for something like chasing flatties, whiting or squid within a couple of km's of your launching spot.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:45 pm

Launch at werribee south head out the entrance turn left or right stay within 500mt of shore and you can catch as much squid, flathead and whiting you like. You don't have to go far less than 1 klm either way just drift can't go wrong

GONE FISHING

Post by GONE FISHING » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:12 am

I've fished my 10ft plastic cat hull out to P2 (around 7km from Altona) chasing snapper a few years ago. It was relatively calm with short chop and it was fine.

I think it rings true to pick your days in small craft. On a nice day where it's forecasted to be good all day it should be fine.

Cheers

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:03 am

I used to have a 10' stacer starfish (3.1m). First trip out from warneet in fog as thick as you like and we wound up around crawfish rock in perfectly calm waters and a false sense of security set in. A few trips later and we were out of quail bank when the wind started to get up a bit, from a slight breeze to about 15 knots in 15 minutes and we had to punch into the wind and waves to get back in, we were taking on lots of water over the bow and bailing as we tried to come back at a speed not much over 5kph (top speed was 10kph with a 4 HP). Thinking I had learned my lesson I only took the boat out in more sheltered waters, one day at shallow inlet the girlfriend and I were caught out again by a fast rising wind that agin caused us to punch into it to come in. The gf was white knuckled the whole way, wet and cold. She never came out again in that boat.

My only point is that a small boat has limitations. The right weather can very quickly turn into the wrong weather. Yes I would take a small boat out again into the bay but I wouldn't head too far out and I would have an incredibly keen weather eye. I would head home at the first hint of the weather turning anything but perfect.

Until you have experienced the fear of being in a small boat in nasty conditions it's hard to comprehend how things could get so dangerous when you're "just in the bay"!

I now have a much bigger boat and know that it can handle pretty bad weather in the bay so am more relaxed. My wits are on heightened alert when outside the bay. My mate has a 4.2m tinny that we regularly go out in WP. It feels much bigger and safer than my old starfish but I still wouldn't like to get caught out in 20knot winds.

If you want to take your kids, girlfriends, whoever, out on the boat be sure you keep very safe and have an eye to the weather at all times and head in as soon as things look like they might sour, that's if you ever want them to go out on the boat again!

GONE FISHING

Post by GONE FISHING » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:52 pm

I think it goes without saying to learn to read the weather well, even more so in small craft. Everything has its limitations it just depends on the craft and the skipper

Return to “Tackle Store Reviews”