P2 plenty of hype but does it deliver?

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
williwonder

P2 plenty of hype but does it deliver?

Post by williwonder » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:56 pm

Hi Fishos, took yesterday off work and went for a fish, being so calm I went out to P2 before first light.
After finishing the session with only 1 small snapper, a nice feed of good size frogs and several rays and banjos I got to thinking that, I had never done any good in the past in this area and does this mark deserve the notoriety it receives.
My old man has fished Altona for years and I cannot recall him ever doing much better than the odd fish
There was 15 other boats in the area, I did not see anyone else turn a reel close by me, yet all the boats where congregated in this patch of water probably a case of monkey see monkey do.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: P2 plenty of hype but does it deliver?

Post by Nude up » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:03 pm

If you have never done anygood there why keep going to it. Time to look for more productive spots. I think it has to do with timing when the beacon and the edge of the shipping channel are going p2 seems to do well.

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:15 pm

I too have fished it for over 25 years and only ever caught snapper there once!! in saying that i here all the hype at the start of every season so i say to myself i will try there one more time and each time it fires me down!!! No more i say!!!

aussie_fisho

Post by aussie_fisho » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:33 pm

The p2 hasn't really produced consistently for me either in past years, I tend to just head to the spoil grounds now, and have had good results there so far.
Here fishy fishy.......

complete-anglerz-12

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:14 pm

can no stand it always pack't
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

flatty attack

Post by flatty attack » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:33 pm

williwonder wrote:Hi Fishos, took yesterday off work and went for a fish, being so calm I went out to P2 before first light.
After finishing the session with only 1 small snapper, a nice feed of good size frogs and several rays and banjos I got to thinking that, I had never done any good in the past in this area and does this mark deserve the notoriety it receives.
My old man has fished Altona for years and I cannot recall him ever doing much better than the odd fish
There was 15 other boats in the area, I did not see anyone else turn a reel close by me, yet all the boats where congregated in this patch of water probably a case of monkey see monkey do.
altona these days is just a mess . rude . arrogant fishos all trying to get in the water at once boats fishing on top of each other . fishing should be relaxing not a battle .by the way p2 is usually a good spot . maybe the snapper cant relax and have moved on . :-x

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:53 pm

No spot delivers if there's no fish there. P2 does produce, but only if there are fish there.
This question can be answered with another question....what did your sounder tell you???

As said before on FV, most snapper fisherman are sheep and simply follow the others. Those who actually catch fish, look for fish and not other boats.

tuna tube

Post by tuna tube » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:22 pm

Redhunter wrote:No spot delivers if there's no fish there. P2 does produce, but only if there are fish there.
This question can be answered with another question....what did your sounder tell you???

As said before on FV, most snapper fisherman are sheep and simply follow the others. Those who actually catch fish, look for fish and not other boats.
Very well said red hunter. P2 does produce fish. Have done very well there at times. I haven't fished it for a few months now. The herd have taken over!! P2 is not a magical spot. Its the area. You need to use your sounder. After all, that is why you bought it isn't it? If you intend to fish it and you see heaps of boats there, find another spot. Snapper get spooked easily so when there are 100 anchors being dropped and raised, the fish either shut down or simply move away. Dont be a sheep and use your sounder. You'll be surprised at what it can tell you. Cheers TT
Cheers
The Tube

williwonder

Post by williwonder » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:04 pm

Only place I have seen boats closer together was behind the Willi Footy Ground early in the season.
I do use the sounder but even that is hit and miss, plenty of times I have sounded and missed out, plenty I have seen a baron bottom and caught fish

Return to “Snapper Fishing”