Lightest tackle you've caught snapper on?

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
sandef
Has liked: 54 times

Re: Lightest tackle you've caught snapper on?

Post by sandef » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:05 pm

my best snapper was 2.5kg on 2 kg line using a 2-4kg rod the ansa boys last year were cathing snapper in the 4-6kg range on 2kg line class

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:42 am

TackleNut wrote:
cobby wrote: My current ppb snapper gear is Samurai 201 1-3kg rod. Daiwa Certate finesse custom 2004 spooled with 6lb Sunline and an 8lb leader. Hook sets are the hardest part of ultralight ppb snapper due to their hard mouths and lack of available pressure to apply. The fight and rest are easy
so true, I have had small flatties put up more fight than most snapper I have seen.
A slight exaggeration but I know what you mean and agree 100%.

FirelineFanatic

Post by FirelineFanatic » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:34 pm

frozenpod wrote:
TackleNut wrote:
cobby wrote: My current ppb snapper gear is Samurai 201 1-3kg rod. Daiwa Certate finesse custom 2004 spooled with 6lb Sunline and an 8lb leader. Hook sets are the hardest part of ultralight ppb snapper due to their hard mouths and lack of available pressure to apply. The fight and rest are easy
so true, I have had small flatties put up more fight than most snapper I have seen.
I would've thought that with their deep bodies and big tails they'd put up a stonka of a fight.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:16 pm

FirelineFanatic wrote:
frozenpod wrote:
TackleNut wrote:
I would've thought that with their deep bodies and big tails they'd put up a stonka of a fight.
There isnt much structure in PPB, so there isnt a huge amount of challenge getting reasonable fish in, on light tackle, assuming you have you're drag set right and dont rush them.

That being said, I have never had a flatty, especially a small one buckle a rod and tear drag like a 5kg+ red. Albeit I have only caught flatties to 60cm ish, but have caught thousands of small ones (literally)

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:25 pm

barra mick wrote:
TackleNut wrote:
You need to catch bigger snapper tacklenut...I cant every remember a small flatty fighter better than a nice snapper...thats like chalk and cheese

Cheers bm
Mick I sure do, I think the last few snapper I caught weren't even worth keeping...but that's just me with most snapper anyway, I used to only ever keep one or two max for my folks. Actually prefer to keep flatties, snapper are just sooooo over rated
But it's been a big dry spell for me and snapper fishing of late...really got to get back into that, but now its much harder without a boat :down:

bubuli
Has liked: 6 times

Post by bubuli » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:49 pm

My biggest snapper is only 53cm long and was caught on a 4lb. leader, .4pe braid on a 2004 certate and 1-3kg rod landbase. It fought really hard I thought I'm goin to lose the fish but I manage to land it after a few minutes.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:25 pm

After reading these posts there must be a huge difference between land based and a boat every snapper I have caught for the same size as a flathead have fought much harder

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:27 pm

Tuna would win the biggest on a handline
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:55 pm

Tune tube once caught a 10kg snapper on 1/2 kilo main line you try telling that to the youth of today and they won't believe you

Westfish

Post by Westfish » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:56 am

Ones 642 1-3 kg
Fireline exceed 3.3lb
5lb Fluro leader
1/32 jig head
Squidgey wrigler

72cm from Cockburn sound in 3mtr of water.
Attachments
20130929_111209.jpg
http://www.westfish.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Snapper Fishing”