Snapper season Help for begginer

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Snapper season Help for begginer

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:34 pm

ecoronad wrote:
purple5ive wrote:Yeah getting bitten off is the problem, usually with lures its very rare.
But i can see why it would be a problem for bait
You don't want to lose a large fish because it has inhaled your lure and you were only using 15lb line!!! Minimum 20lb for your trace when fishing with lures if you don't want to be shattered when you've been bitten/busted off.

If you're going to be using small plastics like berkley gulp sandworms on light jig heads and shallow water around 3-8m deep, then 15lb might be ok because you will be in contact with the jig most of the time. But if you're going to be fishing up to 15-16m using 1/2oz jig heads and larger plastics like the 110mm squidgy flick baits, then you will most likely be waiting for the jig to drop to the bottom, especially in conditions when it's a bit choppy on the water. When you do your first lift of the rod and feel weight, the snapper has already engulfed your plastic!
I agree about the deeper water and waiting for the lure to got bottom. But if you keep in contact with the line you will still feel them hit it most times.

With shallow water upto 8m ive used 6lb many times. But for pinkies up to 40cm not big fish . 3-4 inch plastics mostly.

Born2fish

Post by Born2fish » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:45 pm

Allways happy to help anyone that wants help in catching snapper purple5ive feel free to message me mate

Barra7410

Post by Barra7410 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:02 pm

What sort of weight in terms of sinkers do I need to fish in wpb

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:27 pm

Barra7410 wrote:What sort of weight in terms of sinkers do I need to fish in wpb
Roughly anywhere between 1oz and 20oz depending on the tide and where you're fishing. It's handy if you're using rigs with a clip to enable you to quickly change sinkers without needing to retie any knots

edit: this might be of interest to you: http://www.fishingmonthly.net.au/Articl ... stern-Port
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:16 pm

Barra7410 wrote:What sort of weight in terms of sinkers do I need to fish in wpb
Since you have just bought your boat mate. I would suggest fishing ppb. Its less tidal and easier imho to fish for a begginer.
Places like mornington are easy to fish first time that will give you an idea of what to expect for future.

Wpb is very tidal and you need spefic gear to fish there

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:16 am

Hi All,
Will WPB be any good tomorrow (Friday's Grand Final Public Holiday) I'm reading conflicting weather reports, but I'm pretty keen to get out there.
Haven't got much experience with the Bay, so any advice would be good. Hoping to launch from Rhyll in the morning.
Cheers!

chris srsc

Post by chris srsc » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:31 pm

Go to corinella ..weather says 10knots.. make sure you follow your charts closely gets shallow that end..
FISH1617 : 183CM

Salt (38cm) Trevely 38cm snapper 65cm gummy 80cm
Fresh (0cm) 

Mattblack

Post by Mattblack » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:35 pm

Thanks Chris....I'm a bit apprehensive with all these storm cells floating about. I've heard a few horror stories about people getting stuck on the mud out there as well. Any idea what depth I should be looking for snapper?

chris srsc

Post by chris srsc » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:36 pm

Mattblack wrote:Thanks Chris....I'm a bit apprehensive with all these storm cells floating about. I've heard a few horror stories about people getting stuck on the mud out there as well. Any idea what depth I should be looking for snapper?
did you end up getting out?

theres reports of 4mts and reports of 30mts, its just one of those things where you have to find out the hard way.
FISH1617 : 183CM

Salt (38cm) Trevely 38cm snapper 65cm gummy 80cm
Fresh (0cm) 

Mattblack

Post by Mattblack » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:36 am

chris seafarer wrote:
Mattblack wrote:Thanks Chris....I'm a bit apprehensive with all these storm cells floating about. I've heard a few horror stories about people getting stuck on the mud out there as well. Any idea what depth I should be looking for snapper?
did you end up getting out?

theres reports of 4mts and reports of 30mts, its just one of those things where you have to find out the hard way.
Hey Chris....yep, took the little bloke out on Saturday morning and sat on the Corals for about 4 hours (left just after the high tide at midday). Weather was fantastic and caught a nice Barracouta, a Ling and about 3000 flatties (all just on size but them go to fight another day).
No one at the ramp had had much luck either, but a few snapper were caught the night before at dusk apparently.
Think I might be a convert to WPB....seems to be a better variety of fish & the views are magnificent.

Return to “Snapper Fishing”