Snapper season Help for begginer

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: Snapper season Help for begginer

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:35 pm

purple5ive wrote:I found it fc thanks for that.
:a_goodjob:

I am disappointed that I can no longer find my own post. Is it in the VIP section now?

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:23 pm

Start at any of the artificials (18m off Patto, 12m between frankston pier and Olivers hill), straight off peninsula centre (now quest), the wreck off frankston (also in 12m), the hospital in 15-18m (large white building just south of Olivers hill, Ansetts in the same depths further south, usually a few Morno yacht club race markers scattered wide off Morno too, mussel farm just south of fishies beach. From those marks sound around to find fish like the other guys said, except I've found if fishing plastics where the fish are is less critical, my best sessions have come from marking solid schools in the upper 1/3 of the water column. And if there's a group of boats, sound around atleast 200m away from the concentration of boats, it's hilarious watching the anchors come up and everyone moves 3 good surf casts away...

Edit: launch early. 3am is my preferred time. If there's a tide change 6-7am then that's even better. Or arvos from 4-9pm

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:57 pm

Cobby thanks mate. That's the info im looking for.
I will most def be sounding for them. That was always the plan
Lets see what happens.
I will take one bait rod as well to increase my chances.
Thanks to everyone for helping. Lets hope i can land my first snapper in my own little boat.

Cheers

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:58 pm

Fish-cador wrote:
purple5ive wrote:I found it fc thanks for that.
:a_goodjob:

I am disappointed that I can no longer find my own post. Is it in the VIP section now?
I honestly don't remember. I found it when googling for snapper marks in ppb.
Ill see if i can replicate it

ecoronad
Has liked: 1 time

Post by ecoronad » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:08 am

my 2 cents worth - if you're time poor, wait till the water temp hits around 16-17C, this usually means mid-late Oct - early Nov. Try to time it with the new moon around late Oct/Early Nov. By this time the snapper should be spread throughout the bay and feeding well in preparation for their spawning. From this time through till Christmas will see the bay lit up like Bourke St.

With a smallish boat, i'd stay away from the afternoon/dusk period as the sea breeze can make things really uncomfortable - unless you get one of those magical humid days when there is no sea breeze. The most reliable bite time is usually dawn which is around 5am for that time of the year. But you'd want to be anchored and burleying by around 4.30am. Ramp rage usually starts around 4am at most eastern seaboard port phillip ramps. so try to get to the ramp around 3.30am-3.45am. that way you can take your time to get things ready as the boats queue up behind you.

Do as ducky wrote and sound around for fish away from the crowds, I usually start from around 12-14m, which usually takes 5-10 min depending on wave conditions. You can use GPS marks as a starting point, but I can guarantee there will be plenty of other boats in the same area. Zoom your sounder to the bottom 5m and look for the tell tale specks of snapper along the bottom. Before dawn there will be plenty of activity on the sounder, but once the light comes up, most of it will disappear. Tide changes aren't as important in PPB as they are in WPB. Good luck with the snapper season.

drewb

Post by drewb » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:05 am

Silly question, is there noticeable structure at Ansetts? I've sounded around the mark a couple of times in a mates boat and haven't found structure or fish. Most likely it's inexperience, but is there anything out there to look for?

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:55 am

It's nothing more than mud with a small amount of rubble/weed. For some reason they feed there quite a bit and it's a noticeable landmark

drewb

Post by drewb » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:21 am

cobby wrote:It's nothing more than mud with a small amount of rubble/weed. For some reason they feed there quite a bit and it's a noticeable landmark
Thanks mate.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:22 am

Thanks guys
More than enough in here to get me started.
ill be using my sounder to find them and not sitting on marks, i just wanted a mark to start sounding from rather than aimlessly driving around trying to find fish.
cheers

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:28 pm

One thing to keep in mind. Mark your Christmas trees when you see them. You'll see what I mean. A few times they've been fish stacked up on themselves. Other times there's a definite dump there etc. These dumps that you find become good marks to start your sounding at.

Return to “Snapper Fishing”