New Gear - Any good?

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
Hammy Y

New Gear - Any good?

Post by Hammy Y » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:39 pm

Hey guys,

I headed down to Southern Sports Fishing in Black Rock the other day to pick up some new outfits for the upcoming snapper season. I got a Shimano Southern Snapper 7"4 rod with a Shimano Alivio 10000fa reel for $99 (combo deal) and a Shimano Taipan Pro 702 Snapper rod with a Shimano Alivio 6000fa reel for $89 (combo deal). Both running 20lb mono with a 40lb leader.

I was told by a friend that any setup >$200 is probably that price for a reason AKA. cheap and nasty.

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about these setups because im new to snapper fishing and am quite clueless,.

Cheers,
Ham

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: New Gear - Any good?

Post by hornet » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:46 pm

Those two you picked up will be fine, snapper are not like tuna that need best quality gear to catch them, even cheap kmart combo's will catch snapper ....here's the kicker, quality gear read => expensive name brand gear will last much longer than budget set ups. But all will catch.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:53 pm

hornet wrote:Those two you picked up will be fine, snapper are not like tuna that need best quality gear to catch them, even cheap kmart combo's will catch snapper ....here's the kicker, quality gear read => expensive name brand gear will last much longer than budget set ups. But all will catch.
Spot on hornet. Better quality gear is more versatile and will last longer but by no means necessary.

Hammy Y

Post by Hammy Y » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:54 pm

rb85 wrote:
hornet wrote:Those two you picked up will be fine, snapper are not like tuna that need best quality gear to catch them, even cheap kmart combo's will catch snapper ....here's the kicker, quality gear read => expensive name brand gear will last much longer than budget set ups. But all will catch.
Spot on hornet. Better quality gear is more versatile and will last longer but by no means necessary.
So cheap Shimano setups will do the job but wont last years?

rb85

Post by rb85 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:57 pm

Hammy Y wrote:
rb85 wrote:
So cheap Shimano setups will do the job but wont last years?
Depends on how often you use them and how you care for them obviously but for the same application you won't get the durability of other setups. Same can generally be applied to most manufacturers.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:02 pm

Maybe a touch long for boat fishing

Hammy Y

Post by Hammy Y » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:08 pm

smile0784 wrote:Maybe a touch long for boat fishing
I was just going off what the bloke in the store suggested as I dont know much about Snapper fishing yet

mooneyz

Post by mooneyz » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:58 pm

Cheaper gear can last just as long if you take care of them but dont have the feel as the mid range to more expensive models do. And if you plan to sell them used you will gain more back on the higher end items. For example a Saragosa is 4years old and people are still selling them for just a little less than they bought it for originally. Same applies for top end like the saltigas and stellas whereas the lower end gear will probably not sell for much, if at all.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:09 pm

Hammy Y wrote:
smile0784 wrote:Maybe a touch long for boat fishing
I was just going off what the bloke in the store suggested as I dont know much about Snapper fishing yet
It will do the job nicely mate.

Hammy Y

Post by Hammy Y » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:29 pm

Cheers for all the help guys :-D

Return to “Snapper Fishing”